Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 11-22-2007, 07:38 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Baby Squirrel Present from my cat

Looks like you got the hang of it now!!! )))

And look at that healthy baby!! Great job there squirrel mom!!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 11-23-2007, 08:13 PM

Sheila is getting so big and has started playing some after she eats, she likes to run around on my chest which is cute except she doesn't seem to mind where she goes potty! Yesterday and today Sheila did a funny thing with her tail-she had her tail up and behind her like a big squirrel does. Also over the past few days she has been nibbling on pumpkin seeds and sometimes she will hold the seed in her hands. We got some of those mixed nuts at the grocery store and I'm going to crack open one of each kind so she can get used to the different flavors, I think I need to leave part of the shell on so she understands to learn about cracking shells and removing the eatable part.
Sheila doesn't like baby applesauce.
I will get some pictures of her doing her big-squirrel tail wiggle as soon as I can.

Nadine
Old 11-23-2007, 08:17 PM

Sheila is also getting fuzzy white hair on her tummy. I don't know what all these new things mean in terms of her age, maybe someone with more experience with squirrels can tell us about how old she might be?
Old 11-23-2007, 10:51 PM

I just figured out how Sheila came to get her name, and this has been nagging me ever since we found her!
When I first found her I kept saying, "come on, come on, hey come on" because I was afraid she wouldn't be alright and I very much wanted her to make it. For some strange reason I kept thinking about my son, so much that I called him to tell him about our new squirrel-he was thrilled and thought we were so "cool" to save a squirrel. Sheila (who didn't have a name at that time) was so tiny and weak. So I kept telling her "come on, come on, hey come on". This made me think about a long forgotten song for some strange reason. Tonight I figured it out! My son when he was a little boy really liked Elvis Presley. One day when we were in a record store we came across a record album by a band called "The Elvis Brothers" and thinking the band was an Elvis impersonator band-we bought the record. When we got home and played the record we learned quickly that they were'nt Elvis impersonators, but they had a song called something like "Sheila" and the words went something like "Hey now, hey now, Sheila, Sheila come on".
I guess that's how we came to name our baby "Sheila".
This may not mean much to everyone else but I feel better knowing since I have been going around thinking why did I name this squirrel Sheila?
I'm laughing so big right now!
Old 11-24-2007, 08:23 AM
Administrator

That is all great news! And the way she came to her name is something else too hehehe!! She's a very special squirrel!

One thing I would like to point out though. If you can ever, keep it down on store bought pumpkin seeds and whatnot nuts and seeds, unless there are pumpkins growing where you live and Sheila is bound to live off that once free.

You are better off going outside and pick up some acorns and pecans off the ground. Crack one or 2 and let her nibble on the halves. Once she's able to pick them up on her own, give her one that is only slightly cracked, where no nut is visible..let her mess with that.

I found that once the squirrels are on some sort of seeds, be in sunflower, pumpkin or whatever, they will not touch anything else and it'll take forever until they take to the food they will have to survive on outside.

As to the white hairs on the belly..she's a gray squirrels, so that's good news, Your baby is growing up )))).
Old 11-25-2007, 01:51 PM

Ok, thanks! We already gathered her some acorns and every year we grow a variety of squashes and pumpkins so I will give here those seeds and I think there is a walnut tree and maybe a pecan tree out in the woods. We can also plants some sunflowers for her.
I never thought about the store bought seeds, thanks for telling me.

Nadine
Old 12-05-2007, 01:50 PM

Here are the latest pictures of Sheila.

and

and

Sheila is doing very well and seems to be quite happy, after she eats she likes to run around and play! When Sheila is ready to eat she shakes the door of her cage with her hands to let us know!
When she shakes her tail it means she is going potty and I was going to take some pictures of her tail-shaking trick but after I figured out what it meant I didn't think anyone would really want to see that!

Miss Doolittle, how long does Sheila need to stay on her bottle?
Old 12-05-2007, 02:26 PM
Administrator

I usually feed mine formula until they hit 4 months of age. But usually about 4 weeks after their eyes have opened, I start to offer the formula in a bowl and I start cutting it down, from 4 times a day to 3, to 2, to 1. I keep them on 1 small bowl a day for a week, then cut that down too until it's all gone.

After that I keep them for another week or 2 until I am satisfied that they can dig and bury and nuts as well as crack them and then I release them.

Great job with the lil one!!!!!!!!!!
Old 12-05-2007, 05:13 PM

Thanks. I have a question about releasing Sheila. It's getting cold (down to freezing and below temps, so should I keep her through the winter so she will be big enough to make a nest and find nuts and food on her own? The vet said since we found her so late in the year that we should plan on wintering her over. Not sure what to do, any ideas? I don't want Sheila to get cold and die in the weather.

Nadine
Old 12-05-2007, 06:11 PM
Administrator

Right, I keep forgetting that not everybody has Texas weather lol. Many rehabbers in areas where it's cold do keep the squirrels over the winter and release them at the first signs of spring.

The main reason for that is not the cold though, because obviously, if you look outside the window in the winter, the cold does not bother squirrels whatsoever, but rather because it is hard to find food for an unexperienced squirrel during that time. Every rehabber I know that is able to release the squirrel(s) near their home, does so and provides food for them outside during the winter months.

Question always is: are you doing her a favor by keeping her inside like a pet, or can you let her out and provide food for her outside during the cold months and give her a chance to be a squirrel when she is supposed to be a squirrel.

The cold temps are really not an issue at all.