Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Dogs and Puppies

Dogs and Puppies Chat about Dogs and Puppies

Old 01-24-2008, 12:56 PM

Default Re: Great News!!!

thanks....i spoke to our trainer yesterday....i told him that her behavior is not improving with the muzzle but acually getting worse...Bill then apologized and told me that i should alter our first plan (use the muzzle whenever in public) and only use the muzzle if her behavior is unruley. He cautioned me about getting bit but she does mostly respect me. Wish us luck...Saturday is graduation, Bill said that she would graduate however we need to continue our training together....he really is good and has helped us help Anabell very much!!

gotta love that bully smile!

Calvin--"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?"
Hobbs--"I'm not sure that man needs the help."

Bill Watterson author of Calvin and Hobbs
Old 01-28-2008, 12:42 PM

okay....another update.....saturday was our last class, and anabell graduated!!!!!! okay...so she got a piece of paper, and she's a lot better than she used to be...but she is no where close to were we want to be. She still has to be muzzled during our training at class...walks were not wearing one but she is still too interested in other dogs...were going back to class next saturday. Bill told everyone they should come back but especially us. We met one of Bill's dogs named Maggie. Maggie is a 4 year old boxer who is about 3 steps ahead of Anabell in her training...but it's great to see another dog just like Anabell acually doing well...it's very encouraging. Well, we'll keep trying, and keep trying, and keep trying...and when that fails...we'll try some more...

please continue to wish us luck!!

Calvin--"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?"

Old 01-28-2008, 06:06 PM
Administrator

I think you'd benefit from watching more dog whisperer stuff. I really do. All shows, at least twice! It grows on you and one day it just clicks and you got it, and THEN conditioning will work...cuz that's all you do right now, is conditioning the dog, but it just does not treat the cause..the reason why the dog behaves the way she does.

I'd so wish I would live near you and could check that out myself.

Just today I met a few kids at the park and they had a couple of unruly pitbulls, they wouldn't listen for the life of them...I asked them if they would let me try and they said, sure go ahead. Took me less than a minute and I had both dogs following me as if they had done nothing else.

That shows me that it IS all about the owner's attitude, the packleader mentality and energy. Without that you can train a dog until he dies of old age, it's not gonna work.

Again, just my opinion..intuition or whatever you wanna call it.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 01-29-2008, 09:43 AM

I think thats some good advice...it's hard sometimes....i work in a field with children who have behavioral issues. Dealing with them is very different than dealing with a dog. I get the two confused because the behavior surprisingly is the same...the reason for the behavior is worlds apart and it's hard for me to see that sometimes...anyways....thanks again, and anytime you see me slipping...let me know...you don't have to defend your opinion...your opinion is the reason I continue to post...

Old 01-29-2008, 10:14 AM
Administrator

I'm glad that you get my intentions..it's really not that easy sometimes to get that through and often it is perceived as "you do it all wrong and I know it better anyways" kinda deal LOL.

You are totally right about the symptoms of dogs and kids being very similar, but the causes being very different. I shy away from drawing any comparisons, but when it comes to abuse for example, a dog suffers just as much as a child does..same pain, same fear, but they don't rationalize and they don't hang onto it.

Yes, they may develop some strange behavior, but with some simple guidance and instructions, the dog will re-learn just like that. They get over it as soon as the human lets him. They do not feel sorry for themselves or others, because they are just not capable of that.

They do practice a certain amount of compassion, but that has nothing to do with pity.

As long as we all keep it simple with the dogs and quit interpret their behavior by comparing them to us, just get a little more objective and observant, that would be a start. But easier said than done.

I too humanize my animals from time to time, with the difference that I am fully aware of it and that I know that I'm doing this for me, that I am taking from the dogs to satisfy my own emotional needs...kind of a trade..I feed ya and you let me hug the hell out of ya LOL.

After that, it's back to being pack leader who tells them what to do, when to do it, and how to do it..and feed them for it and provide opportunities to drain their energy in a constructive way. That's all there's to it.
Old 01-29-2008, 12:54 PM

i definately get it....but it's definately hard to do!!! like i said a bunch of times...i'll keep trying until i can't anymore

speaking of humanizing i have a question....we noticed that when at training class Anabell is definately fixated on the other dogs there....but she has a certain look to her when we're learning something new...Our dog trainer will take his dog, and show us what we're about to try...Anabell almost instinctively gets it! Can a dog learn from watching another dog and her owner...or am i humanizing??

Old 01-29-2008, 03:25 PM
Administrator

Oh I think they can definitely get it!

For example, when I got Kicker back after he was with his adoptive parents for six weeks, he was terrified of jumping into the truck. That was the reason why they couldn't keep him, because they were moving from Texas to Alaska, and he would get so sick while driving, it'd killed him.

So instead of me forcing him into the truck, I let my other dogs show him. I kept him on a leash and my dane and lab just love the truck..can't wait to jump in. It took Kicker but 5 minutes and he begged to go after them, especially since it smelled so nicely of bacon in there too *evil grin* hehe.

He never got sick again, looooved the truck!

Say, what all do you do to get your dog tired? I always let mine exhausted before I go to dog training, makes them soooo much more receptive!
Old 01-30-2008, 09:04 AM

we go for long walks...lately they've been a little shorter because i've had to pick up extra shifts at work...so now a few days a week i'm working from 11pm-3pm the next day but we gotta do what we gotta do... i'm currently trying to get the funds together for a tredmill but the money situation is a little tight right now....so for now we just go for walks...after that she eats and then we usually play fetch for a little...any other ideas that might not cost so much like a tredmill???

Last edited by amstaff : 01-30-2008 at 09:07 AM. Reason: add in
Old 01-30-2008, 09:37 AM
Administrator

With that energy level, walking isn't giving you a tired dog. Use anything that makes her run: roller blades, bicycle, skateboard.

Or find something with wheels on it, like an old cart, you know those things you can pull? Pack it full with rocks and have her pull it, like a sled.

Let her carry heavy things for a long time with a backpack.

A treadmill isn't going to cure your problem either, it's just one small tool you can use in ADDITION to what you are already doing. It's not a substitute for a walk by any means.

Hang up an old car tire and put some treats in it so she can get at it.

There are a lot of activities you can do with your dog. How about taking her to agility training? Look up some videos on youtube about that.

That's just from the top of my head. Get creative!

If ya still can't come up with anything, let the kids you work with come with something. They got all the imagination you need and what a wonderful opportunity for a child to help a dog? Work with what you got .
Old 01-30-2008, 10:38 AM

great idea with the kids!! we tried a doggie backpack but it leaves bruises on her legs...i'm going to the store when i can and ask if they can help me put it on proper...i know we got the right size...the cart might be a good idea too...we'll see...and i'll ask the kids!