Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 03-13-2008, 06:23 AM

Exclamation 6 Tiny Opossums

I've just found an opossum dead (apparently fighting with something in the woods behind our house as she was injured and certainly not alive) and checked for babies and there were six. They are about 2 1/4 inches long, eyes closed, and were locked on to mom. Mom was recently injured because she was not cold yet. Sorry to be so graphic. I know the babies haven't gotten the toxins they could get from a mother that passed away quite some time ago. I couldn't bring mom in the house and it's freezing outside so I eased the babies away from mom and now I've got them in a small box lined with felt and I have put a plastic bottle with warm water in it in the box with them. I've covered them with a t-shirt to keep the heat in. They're making the normal sneezing sounds for mom and all are strong and moving around quite a bit for their tiny size! I had to clean feces off of them with a warm rag but otherwise, there is no damage to them at all. No bruising, scratches, or anything. They're not cold or dehydrated yet but I have no idea what to do and the wildlife rehab center is about an hour from here and I have no way to get there and they won't come out to get the babies. I was told how to dispose of them!

Now what?? I read I could feed them 3 teaspoons of sugar and 1 teaspoon of water mixed with a quart of boiling water that's been allowed to cool to room temperature for up to 6 hours before they'll require the diluted formula. This is not good. We can't go get formula right now either. What can I do to keep them alive for at least two days without the formula? I can take them to the rehab center or feed them myself on Friday afternoon. They're pretty active so they're okay and they respond immediately to touch so I'm not worried they're gonna die in the next little bit but I've gotta do something pretty quickly.

Thanks!

Tracy
Old 03-13-2008, 08:45 AM
Administrator

Default Re: 6 Tiny Opossums

Well bless your heart! You did all the right things just be told how to dispose of them. That just makes me mad!

The sugar water idea is re-hydrate animals, not really to feed them. You will have to turn up some kind of milk replacer ASAP. No way around it. Any vet office, petstore, walmart, supermarket, anything around? Maybe a farm that might have some cattle milk replacer? It's better than nothing or real milk.

If the eyes were open I'd say try some human baby cerial and other human baby foods, but not with the eyes closed.

I'd wish I had some other advise for you. Otherwise you did all the right things. When I get opossums, I keep them in a fleece bag and carry them around with me, just like momma does, but that's not everybody's thing .
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 03-13-2008, 02:59 PM

best of luck tracy!! keep us updated!!! i wish i knew more (or anything at all) about this topic but listen to miss d...she knows what she's talking about!

gotta love that bully smile!

Calvin--"Do you believe in the devil? You know, a supreme evil being dedicated to the temptation, corruption, and destruction of man?"
Hobbs--"I'm not sure that man needs the help."

Bill Watterson author of Calvin and Hobbs
Old 03-13-2008, 04:42 PM
Administrator

I love baby opossums. They are so sweet and cute. I would suggesst trying to get them to a rehabber. What state are you in? Maybe we could find a rehabber closer to you that has a better view on the little guys! Since when they are with their mom they pretty much swallow the nipple and latch on, it is hard, if not impossible, to feed them with a syringe. Almost all rehabbers tube feed the little guys. So, they would probably be better off with a rehabber since it will be VERY time consuming and risky to feed them the regular way.
Old 03-13-2008, 04:43 PM

Well, I realized they weren't gonna make it with what I could do for them so I conned my neighbor into taking them to the animal rescue in Charlotte, NC. They had a smaller one here in Rock Hill, SC but I couldn't get an answer from them. Also, I couldn't give them the undivided attention that they needed because we have 8 children. They'll be kept there until they reach a certain age then they'll be "fostered" until release age.

Thank you for the info!

Tracy
Old 03-13-2008, 04:56 PM
Administrator

Sounds like a great place. I am glad you found someone who could take them. Opossums usually do really well, even if they are all banged up, so I bet your little tykes will do fantastic with the rehabber. Thanks for saving the little tykes!
Old 03-14-2008, 10:07 AM
Administrator

Thanks for keeping us updated. 8 kids??? And you still had time to take care of the opossums. You are my hero!!!!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 03-16-2008, 09:13 PM
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissDolittle View Post
Thanks for keeping us updated. 8 kids??? And you still had time to take care of the opossums. You are my hero!!!!

Mine as well!