Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Cats and Kittens

Cats and Kittens Talk about cats and kittens.

Old 04-18-2008, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Default Re: New Momma with 5 Newborns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kirial View Post
Hehe, didnt have my glasses on the first time I looked at the new photos, and I kept thinking "what on earth is wrong with that one kitten!" turns out it's a plush puppy....

Adorable photos. If my house wasnt already at risk of being over-run, I'd adopt the whole mess, but then I'd hate to become a hoarder.

Hehe, if I had a buck for each time I said that I don't want to become a hoarder, I could buy a farm! lol

Well not really, but I've seen them, know the work they cause and the loads they put on the local shelter. We have one lady that keeps moving from trailer to trailer or moves the trailer itself.

She's over 80 years old, is in a wheelchair, and each time animal control cleans out her trailer of all the animals and the judge gave her yet another citation and the order not to have ANY animals..she moves the thing and starts all over...few months later the entire spiel starts all over.

What ya gonna do? Put an old lady in prison? Social services is taking care of her now I think, because last time was so bad that her wheelchair got stuck in feces and she couldn't move at all for 2 days and almost died herself.

I have to follow up on that story, see what became of her.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 04-19-2008, 08:40 PM

I actually have a grandmother who, while not ever having a citation or a single cruelty call, I myself consider to be a hoarder. I suppose it's Grandpa actually that is at fault, as he is the reason they keep turning up. I'm not sure if one can be considered a "hoarder" if the animals are there of their own free will. They do not allow cats inside unless they are sick or recovering from their "Fixing" so all of them are outside. Because their is food and shelter there, the animals keep turning up. A lax attitude toward sterilization also keeps it so one batch of kittens is born nearly every season.

I have seen this be a wonderful thing, in that it kept many good cats from being put down or drown as people know they can just call up Sharon and she'll usually take it in. In addition, people have also adopted her cats several times in the past.

I have also seen this be a bad thing. Because she has on some years had as many as 27 cats come to her food pans (not counting the neighbor cats, they are shooed away, as are cats never seen before) there have been intervals of group disease, and a couple instances of possible inbreeding. These cats are always nursed back to health, but with that many animals around, disease is always just on the horizon.

Because these animals are not contained in a small house, and are regularly fed, watered, and medicated, the local shelters have turned a blind eye. They are already over-populated with their own animals and I suspect they just dont have the means to take in the extra cats. (Down to a healthier 12 this year, as two of the neighbor toms have passed off and four potential momma cats went with me to the vet over the course of the winter, so that's 10 spayed mommas and a couple toms who dont seem to know they are male.)

This "responsible" (or as close as it can be to that term) hoarding is scary enough to be around at times, and I cant imagine how terrible it is to see full-blown hoarding in a tiny trailor, especially if you arnt even well enough to care for yourself, let alone your charges.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi.
Old 04-19-2008, 08:59 PM
Administrator

I think our definitions of a hoarder is a bit different. To me a hoarder is when it totally gets out of control that human life is suffering due to hygiene issues for example.

Wiki says:

Quote:
Animal hoarding involves keeping higher than usual numbers of animals as pets without having the ability to properly house or care for them, while at the same time denying this inability. Compulsive hoarding can be characterized as a symptom of obsessive-compulsive disorder rather than deliberate cruelty towards animals. Hoarders are deeply attached to their pets, and find it extremely difficult to let the pets go. They typically cannot comprehend that they are harming their pets by failing to provide them with proper care. Hoarders tend to believe that they provide the right amount of care for their pets.
Old 04-19-2008, 10:17 PM

I suppose you're right. I only wondered at hoarding because, well, my opinion cant be truely objective as to the severity of the situation, since I am directly involved in the care and control of the animals. If at any point I did think the animals or my grandparents were in any risk of harm, I would definitly intervene further than routine check-ups and 30 dollar surgeries.

Sometimes the line between help and hurt can be very thin, especially when it comes to hoarding, so it's one of those things I've always had a watchful eye on. It's good to see that others find this particular case to be a "low risk" situation.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi.
Old 04-20-2008, 10:16 AM
Administrator

I hear you loud and clear. I often wondered if I'd go overboard if we wouldn't have the 3 dogs/3 cats limit law in this town. Even though I think I know my limits, isn't that what they all say? hehehehe
Old 04-21-2008, 07:36 PM

In response to the pictures, they were all very cute! And the momma is BEAUTIFUL I can't believe her adoption fell through! She looks so relaxed and sweet, I would LOVE to adopt her myself! I hope she and her kittens all find good homes!

In response to animal hoarding, I do find it kind of sad to see people get to that point. I think that animal hoarding needs to be recognized perhaps as a sort of mental illness that needs treatment. It was related to obsessive compulsiveness after all. I think it would be better for both people and the pets. We had a case here, in the summer of 2004, about a woman and her daughter who had about a hundred cats in their house. The cats were going to be taken away, so out of desperation to keep their 'babies', the women stuffed as many cats as they could into cat cages and hid them in the bushes, and also put a bunch of cats in their shed to keep them hidden. Unfortunately, 25 cats died due to suffocation... the rest were saved. I don't know what happened to the women, but I hope they got some help.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:00 PM
Administrator

I just posted in another thread that the shelter here had a seizure this weekend, cleaned out a hoarder: 30 dogs, 11 cats. The owner is in the process of being committed.

I also finally got green light to use the shelter's name and make an account on petfinder.com, hopefully this will help some. Once I get the approval I'll see how it works and go back to the shelter and take pics of the dogs they can keep for a while longer (they are not social at all) and determine the behavior, write up an article for each animal and put them up.

The story about the seizure is going to be in the paper tomorrow I think, I'll post it here.
Old 04-21-2008, 08:01 PM

Post it, post it! I want to follow this!
Old 04-22-2008, 02:24 PM
Administrator

Here goes:

http://www.petsandwildlifeforum.com/...=3972#post3972
Old 05-02-2008, 08:44 PM
Administrator

Pheeew, I just got 5 more kittens. Makes a total of 14 plus Serenity. How was that with the hoarding? lol

The shelter is full and Serenity is hissing at the new litter. They are very emaciated, maybe 2 weeks old. Hopefully they don't have leukemia. I will keep them separated from the others until I know for sure, but since I can't afford a vet or tests, I have to go blind and just watch for the signs such as mucus in the stool and pale gums.

I cannot keep 14 kittens, no way. I got more calls and had to turn down more kittens. I had to make it clear that I'm a wildlife rescue, not a kitten shelter, because my vet was giving out my number for that. But telling them to call Animal Control puts me into the same spot, because Animal Control will bring them to me LOL.

I really have to start a foster care network or something, but all that's gonna happen is more cats out there that won't get fixed and that brings more kittens back to the shelter next year. Can't win for losing in this one.

I put the other 9 kittens on petfinder.com:
http://search.petfinder.com/shelterS...elterid=TX1178