Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Cats and Kittens

Cats and Kittens Talk about cats and kittens.

Old 05-03-2008, 05:17 AM

Default Re: New Momma with 5 Newborns

Hehe, you're going to have to hire in-house nursemaids at this rate.

How much are the FLV tests and basic physicals in your area? I think the last FLV specific test I ordered here was $12 something. And it's $9 here for any consult.

As for populations... if only we could convince more people to spay and neutur. But, it is helping, just a little at a time. At least they aren't rabbits eh?

I already narrowed the applicants for my two wards down to five people (out of 19 so far), I guess the two that stick it out for the long haul (30 days or more) are the winners. Soooo I printed up fliers for my office of the kitties you have listed. None of our local shelters have kittens yet this year, so hopefully some of my callers won't mind a commute to Texas. My only relative in texas (sister's mom-in-law) is coming up in the next couple weeks; too bad I wouldn't trust her to transport a box of bricks, let alone kittens.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi.
Old 05-03-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Wow thanks, I appreciate it!!

Unfortunately the new kittens did show all the signs, so I brought them to the shelter to do with at their discretion. :/

But I still have those 9 kitties and they appear to be healthy in every way.

As to vet costs. A visit is I think $37 without anything. The tests I would have to guess, but I think it's in the same price range.

I wonder if a non-vet like me could order those tests to do at home. I have no problems drawing blood for it and I would only have to test one kitten out of every litter really, because if one has it, all have it and vice versa. At least it's pretty likely.

I have to do some research on that.

Next project is a fundraiser for Serenity, so she can get spayed, since nobody is calling for her or is remotely interested. I did give her the vaccinations I can get here, incl. feline aids and leukemia, but she still needs a rabies shot and get spayed, which will increase her chances for adoption. Preferrably before she comes into heat again lol.

So, that's what I'll be putting up on the websites and blogs today. Maybe a rich person comes across and pays to get the 9 kittens fixed too, hehehe. Oh blame a gal for dreaming lol.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 05-03-2008, 02:33 PM

well, there are two main tests for FLV and FIV, the ELISA (enzyme linked immunsorbent assay) which is the blood/tears/saliva test that doc preforms in-office. My small country doctor doesnt have any x-ray equipment or diagnostic areas, so all that stuff has to be sent off (though complicated breaks or fractures are usually taken up to the health clinic for people and let in through the back door) Then there is the IFA (immunofluorescent antibody test) or the Western Blot, which are the diagnostic you run if the ELISA comes up positive, so you can be sure.

So, I would think you could order the ELISA and do that yourself. It's really a lot like a home-pregnancy kit. You have to mix the blood sample you draw with an anti-clot agent, then put a few drops on a special paper and wait for a colour change or a line. The whole thing takes only 10-20 minutes.

This is an online listing for one on sale right now, but you have to mail it off to a lab. Unfortunatly, all my searches brought me back to this same product. Seems the only other way is to stop by doc's office and ask for one, but I'd bet this is what he uses too.

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." Mahatma Ghandi.
Old 05-04-2008, 09:32 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the info! Unfortunately asking a vet to sell me some tests is like asking them to not to earn the money for the exam and testing. They'd lose like 40 bucks a pop. Not every vet is like your hero over there (does he have brothers that are vets too that want to move to Texas? lol).

Na, I'm afraid vets as well as their products are luxury here, so unless I can order without being a vet, no go.
Old 05-21-2009, 08:14 AM

Most of the time, cats have babies without much trouble or help. They are pretty good at taking care of things on their own. However, it doesn't hurt to keep an eye on her, just in case.

When it's time for her to have her babies, she will probably start pacing around, looking for her hidden spot that she has chosen to have her babies. The breathing becomes more rapid, and she will start licking her rear end alot. As each kitten comes out, she will bite the umbilical cord with her teeth, and clean off the afterbirth and stuff from the kitten, and lick it so it will be clean and start to nurse. It certainly wouldn't hurt to be with her, or at least check on her alot, while she is birthing. Sometimes they like privacy and to be left alone, but it's not a bad idea to keep watch just to make sure everything works OK and there's no complications. The length of the birth can vary alot, depending on how many babies she has, if she is a new mom or has had kittens before, etc. It can be anywhere from half an hour to a few hours.

Good source for fish tank aquariums
Old 05-21-2009, 08:51 AM
Administrator

I hope you will sell tons of fish tanks. I'll leave your posts up since they aren't like the typical spam, they actually make sense, even though they are copied and pasted from Yahoo Answers .
Old 05-24-2009, 10:41 PM

So very precious. Beautiful mama and cute babies