Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 04-14-2008, 12:59 AM

Default squirrel as a pet ???

Hi,
I just joined your group here and maybe someone out there will be able to help me out.

For the last 4 years I've been raising orphaned squirrels, working under the woman in our town who is the wildlife rehabilitater for this area. I've been doing the hand feeding, weaning, acclimating them to the outdoors in a outdoor pen, and then releasing them back into the wild. I mention all this so you readers understand I'm not a squirrel novice and I have never considered keeping any squirrel as a pet.

Currently one of the babies I'm raising only has one eye and the rehabilitater does not feel he will be able to be released. So now I am contemplating keeping this little guy but I have a lot of reservations. I am very much aware of the commitment that would be involved and the possible problems I could run into.

Regarding squirrels as pets, I have read both pro's and con's on the internet and I still haven't been able to make up my mind. I would really appreciate any feed back that would help me make a decision. I would especially like to hear from someone who has kept a squirrel as a "pet" or knows anyone who has. Any feedback and opinions will be helpful.
Thanks
Old 04-14-2008, 09:26 AM

Default Re: squirrel as a pet ???

Hi Leslie,

I have had three fox squirrels as pets.The one we currently have is blind in one eye. For the right people they do make great pets. Since you work with squirrels you would know their tendency to chew on anything they think looks chewable, such as wooden furniture,window sills, ect. That and the fact they use you as trees, which with their sharp claws can really hurt,are the biggest drawbacks I can think of.
In my opinion they are great pets. They don't require anything more than any other pet, excercise, good diet, and love.
We have Kandy Korn in a 4'x4'x6' cage my dad made with wood and hardware cloth.I can get you a picture if you'd like. She gets out to play around the house if not every day at least every other day.
We try to feed our squirrels what they would be eating in the wild. They absolutely love tomato worms!
We do have to have a permit to keep Kandy Korn.
Hey, if you are in Indiana and decide you can't keep the little guy maybe we could take him in. I would hate to see him put down simply because he can't be released.
Old 04-14-2008, 09:27 AM

Oh, and if you have any specific questions I can try to answer them.
Old 04-14-2008, 01:34 PM

Hi Fluffytail,

Our rehaber wouldn't put him down, she would find him a permanent home. The question is would that home be mine. My biggest concern is space. I have a small home, I might be able to accommodate a standard ferret cage, which is only going to be about 24" deep. No way I could supply the size of cage that you have. I'm not sure how happy a squirrel would be in a ferret cage even though I have read at different sites they are some times used for squirrels.

I've only had squirrels up to the release age, never had experience with adult squirrels beyond the wild ones that come to my feeders. So not really sure what to expect having an adult one. I also have a cat and a dog, so the squirrel wouldn't have run of the house. I could let it out in a closed off room but not sure I would be able to let it out everyday. So that is another consideration. How crucial is it they get out of their cage frequently ?

Our "pets", and I prefer calling them our companions, are always with us for life. If I make a commitment I need to know I can live up to it with both the squirrel and myself being happy with the arrangement. It's just a hard call without a better understanding of what all might be involved. I've read about some squirrels getting kind of ornery when they mature and I even wondered if, and I know this will probably sound weird, but maybe have a vet neuter him ? I wonder if anyone has ever done it, if it is even possible and would it make the animal more calm and comfortable in a home environment.

I appreciate your info and help. I may have more questions as I think of things.
Leslie
Old 04-21-2008, 10:13 AM

Sorry I didn't answer sooner.

What kind of a squirrel is it? We have a fox squirrel so if you have a smaller squirrel a smaller cage might work.
We have 3 dogs and 5 cats in our house too. We just let her out in one room or put the other animals in a room and let her play. We try to make sure she gets out to play at least a few times a week for at least an hour. It doesn't have to be every day, although the more you play with her the friendlier she'll be. Of course there are times that we cannot get Kandy Korn out for several days to a weeks and she does just fine.
They don't seem to get onery if they are hand raised and played with from little babies (eyes closed). They can get onery if there eyes were opened very long before they were raised by people though. A tame squirrel though even on those days they feel onery vary rarely bite. They will grunt and lunge though.
I don't know anything about nuetered them. Might be something to look into. We haven't really found that to be a problem though. There is just one day in spring and fall that the females are in horrid moods. we avoid letting them out on those days. They aren't like cats and dogs in that area.
If there are any other questions you have I would love to try to answer them. I promise to answer faster too.
Old 06-11-2008, 08:18 PM

whats a fox squirrel?
Old 06-11-2008, 08:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by danny View Post
whats a fox squirrel?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Fox_Squirrel

Basically the largest of the tree squirrels
Old 09-06-2008, 11:12 AM

I raised sugar gliders for years and we did neuter the males with no problem, just needed an experienced vet that knew the right drugs. If I remember correctly - they have to be put under by gas, and the dosage is extremely important. This was in Virginia. Hope this helps

Debi
Old 10-28-2008, 06:21 PM

how do zi get a permit for a squirrel that cannot be released for health issures?
Old 10-28-2008, 06:47 PM
Administrator

As far as I know, you can't unless you move to Florida where it's perfectly legal to have a squirrel as a pet. Maybe that has changed by now, dunno.

There are 2 permits you might want to take a closer look at. One is the educational permit and another is the display permit, and I think there's also a zoo permit or something. I doubt that any of those apply, but I wouldn't know of any other way.

The wildlife rehabilitation permit specifically states that no animal can be kept because it is not releasable, and I have only found these kind of permits that at all touch the permanent possession of a considered wild animal.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog