Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Raccoons

Raccoons Talk about raccoons.

Old 04-21-2008, 10:19 AM

Default Raccoon Babies

Well I thought I'd better post the pictures of my first two coon babies Bah and Humbug.

They are both sucking on my fingers. Bah is in the front and Humbug is behind

This is Bah

This is Humbug

Sucking on my fingers again. Bah in the front and Humbug Behind.

I just got 4 more babies on Friday. I don't have pictures yet. But they are just as adorable although a little smaller.There are three girls and one boy. I have named the new boy Dunkin and one of the girls Piglet.

Last edited by Fluffytial : 04-21-2008 at 10:21 AM. Reason: Adding info for the pictures
Old 04-21-2008, 12:19 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Raccoon Babies

Look who's got her hands full!!!!!!!!!!!!! Keep em coming!!!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 04-27-2008, 05:29 PM

Everybody's eyes are open now. They are growing so fast!
I was wondering if anyone on here could answer a question I had. One of the female coons walks with her nose down all the time, she will sometimes walk in circles and she looses her balance more than the others and just walks clumsy looking compared to the other babies. Does this sound like a nouralogical( I know that is spelled wrong ) problem or is she just more clumsy than her brother and the other coons? She is healthy otherwise, growing along with the others and acts normal.
I have decided to update pictures of the coons on our website. I can put them on their really easy. I will post here when I add new ones. There are a few of the new coons now but I still need to get more recent ones.
Our website http://all-gods-creatures.tripod.com/
Old 04-28-2008, 12:09 PM
Administrator

Unfortunately I don't have any experience with coons yet, but I'm looking forward learning along here, because the permit will cover coons and skunks as well .
Old 05-03-2008, 11:24 AM

I hope you can take in coons pretty soon MissD. They are alot of fun and work!
The little girl (now names Mystery) who walked funny is now the best walker of all 6 coons. She can almost run now. She really scared me the other day. She overate and that caused her to vomit and then she choked. I was so afraid she was going to stop breathing on me. I finally got her breathing normal again and she is no worse for the incident. Now it is her brother, Dunkin that has me wondering what to do. He hates to eat absolutly sees no use in it. He was on goats milk so I swaped him to KMR to see if you liked it better and if you would gain weight on it. He is not gaining the way the others are. I had to put him back on the heating pad because he couldn't hold his body temperature.
Bah and Humbug will follow me as I walk around now. They are soo cute!
The smaller guys, Mystery can also follow me but Piglet and one un-named female can't because their feet slip right out from under them on the tile floor.
It's time for them all to eat now and I hear some of them yelling already so I guess I'd better quit typing and heat some milk!

Last edited by Fluffytial : 05-03-2008 at 11:25 AM. Reason: because
Old 05-04-2008, 09:28 AM
Administrator

I had to turn 2 babies down last week and I was not very happy about that. But I'm looking forward to working and learning about and with them!!!
Old 05-05-2008, 05:11 PM

Dunkin is doing better on the heating pad. I also got some nutri-cal and started him on that. He seems to be doing very well. Still hates to eat but he is eating anyway.
Bah has a swollen foot this evening. I have no idea what caused it. He wont use it. I am putting cool cloths on it and he seems to think that feels nice.I am holding him right now and he is sucking on my finger.
All the others are doing well so far. I think I will be glad when they all start eating a little solid food though.
Old 05-11-2008, 08:20 PM

Dunkin is eating great now. He is actually right up with his sister in size and weight now.
Bah had a scratch on his foot that got infected. He is on an antibiotic and is clearing right up. It is almost back to normal now.
Everybody has settled into a good eating schedule and are all doing well on the formula. My sisters and I took all seven of them ( yea I forgot to mention yet that I got another little girl on Tuesday. She was found in a parking lot of some apartments in a town about 45 mins away from us,thus the name Parking Lot. )outside yesterday evening. They are so cute following after us in the grass. A funny little note too, Parking Lot didn't want to follow me in the house. I wasn't her mommy and she would ignore me so when we went outside I put a leash on her. Well she stuck right with me and even cried because she got to far away from me. From then on she seems to think I make a great substitute for mom.
I promise I will try to get pictures of everybody soon.
Old 05-13-2008, 12:59 PM
Administrator

How do you feed them? With a syringe or kittenbaby bottle or human baby bottle? KMR or Esbilac?
Old 05-13-2008, 04:38 PM

I feed them with a human baby bottle with a stage one nipple. The bottles I am using are called airflow or something like that. They bottom that unscrews and has holes in it and a rubber insert that fits in the bottom. That is a horrible description!
I am feeding them fresh goats milk and KMR. I feed them 4 times a day. I feed two feedings straight goats milk and two feeding 1/2 c. KMR mixed with 2 cups goats milk. I rotate so they get goats milk one feeding, than mixed milk the next and so on. I did this because I found on straight KMR, they had a really difficult time defecating, they didn't like it as well and it didn't seem to set to well with several of them, they would cry and cry after I fed them. On straight goats milk I had two of them (brother and sister) who didn't seem to be able to gain weight as well as they should. So I started mixing some KMR into the goats milk until I got the desired result, a weight gain for those two. I tried feeding the mixed milk every feeding but that caused constipation in several of them thus the rotation feeding. They seem to be doing very well and are growing, bright eyed and curious.
I hope all that made sense. And another note. I am getting all my goats milk free. Coons eat alot. I am using about 2 quarts of milk a day for 7 babies.