Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 05-14-2008, 11:17 AM

Default To release or not release?

Hi.
I've been rehabbing a young flying squirrel for about 4 weeks now - I'm guessing he's probably 8 weeks old. He's recovered nicely from his injuries and is healthy and gorgeous and active and having a great time in the big cage I set up for him. So now it's time to start thinking seriously about my dilemma: to release him or keep him domesticated. If he had siblings I would absolutely release, but is it fair or wise to release a "solo" young flying squirrel? I've never seen one here in my neighborhood and he came from a few towns over. If I'm going to release him I need to continue teaching him to be independent and not bonding with him but if I'm going to keep him for his own good then I need to start bonding and teaching him to be a pet. I'm totally torn..... will he be ok out there all by himself? I so wish he had some siblings to learn how to be a squirrel with.

Your thoughts, please?
Old 05-14-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Default Re: To release or not release?

I sent you a PM, .
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 05-23-2008, 10:25 AM

Please Release !
Old 05-23-2008, 11:21 AM

I would love to release him - the last thing I need is yet another pet to care for. It is starting to really break my heart to watch him flying around in the cage, too - he needs to be outdoors romping and exploring the trees and the wildlife. He's not able to open nuts on his own yet so we've probably got a few more weeks of captivity but then I will gladly give him his freedom. My hesitation was that I have read it's really not ideal to release a single animal -only those with siblings. I will just have to hope that he remembers how to get back to his cage where I will keep a constant supply of food and water for him . . . just in case. Thanks for your thoughts.
Old 05-23-2008, 12:25 PM

Hi Sue,

sometimes I have only one young squirrel, without siblings...and all these single squirrels have survived in freedom. Some come every day to visit me.
They adapt easily at the food and water place.

Sorry...my english is horrible.
Old 06-19-2008, 01:39 PM

Default Re: To release or not release - sad ending

Hi Guys.
I know you can't give me an answer but I'm just so distraught right now I can't think straight and knew people here would understand. When I go back to the office in an hour puffy and tear-streaked I won't get much compassion and will probably even hear "why are you so upset - it was only a squirrel?!"

I did release Raffey about 2 weeks ago. I moved his cage out there 3 weeks ago, got him acclimated to the surrounding area and to being outdoors, and then he was ready to try it on his own. It was a bittersweet parting but I was AMAZED and overwhelmed with joy when three days ago I had a visit from him! Actually, I went out to the cage to take down some of the beds and toys that had been hanging there getting rain soaked and smelly, he popped out of the bed. We had a great reunion, ate peanuts together, and after about an hour or so he took off to the top of a nearby tree. He's smarter than I am - I stayed out there a while longer and got soaked, just in case he was coming back down. I have had a smile on my face for 3 days knowing that he is alive, well, surviving on his own, AND remembering where his bed and constant food and water supply is. Life was good. Today I'm home for lunch and went to change the water in his cage and noticed the hanging pouch/bed was heavy. I smiled realizing he was in there sleeping but he wouldn't wake up - he's dead! He looks perfect - not a mark on him, not bloated, no signs of diarrhea, no injury - just dead. I am beside myself. Any guesses what could have killed him? I am going through the sadness, anger and guilt right now wondering what I could have done differently or what I might have done wrong. It also tears my heart out that he came home to die. I'm not sure if I would have prefered not knowing about it or not. WHY do these things happen!?!?!?! I expected someday he would be predator food, but there's not a mark on his body and he was sleeping in his bed when he died!
Old 06-19-2008, 01:46 PM
Administrator

Holy crap! I'd be beside myself too! *HUUUUUUGS*

That is just terrible. Maybe he got into something, poison maybe?
Old 06-19-2008, 01:51 PM

I thought of that. We live near a brook so people have spotted river rats and stuff - I would imagine there must be some rat poison in the neighborhood but that would be on the ground ... do flying squirrels forage down low? I assumed they stayed up high - but who knows. Thanks for the hug - I just don't know if I can do this anymore . . .
Old 06-19-2008, 01:53 PM

There are so many things that it could have been quite honestly.

I don't think you can (or should) fault yourself in any way. You did the right thing and even checked on him.

Remember that he had a good life with you, and the short time where you released him.

Furthermore remember that he died in his sleep, which is a good sign that it was peacefully.

Don't give up, please don't give up.
Old 06-19-2008, 02:02 PM
Administrator

I think that things like this have usually a clear message..even though sometimes it takes a while for it become clear.

I believe this did not happen to discourage you, but to make you stronger and to find that place in your heart that accepts the things you cannot change and that are out of your control.

For those who know it, this is how I apply the Serenity prayer (without being religious or anything):

Grant me the Serenity the accept the things I cannot change,
the Courage the change the things I can (usually my own way of looking at things),
and the Wisdom to know the Difference.