Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 06-19-2008, 01:04 PM

Default Re: To release or not release?

Very well said MissD, I thank you for that
Old 06-19-2008, 04:49 PM

Michael and Miss D....
Thank you so much for your comforting and encouraging words. Michael - I really needed to hear that there were any number of things that could have caused this - that is helping me to stop dwelling on trying to figure out what went wrong. I somehow kept thinking that if I could figure out why he died it would make things better but now that I'm a little more sane I realize it doesn't really matter. Thank you, also, for reminding me that he had a very good, albeit short life. And yes, the fact that he died (hopefully peacefully) in the comfort of a warm, soft, safe, familiar home comforts me immensely. It saddens me to wonder if he KNEW he was dying and that's why he headed back to his old familiar cage or if he was happily napping when for some reason his system shut down. There I go again..... wondering and second-guessing.

Miss D - I love the Serenity Prayer and have often advised others to recite it and live by it. Too bad I forgot to get strength from it for myself when I truly needed it. Thanks for the reminder.

You've both made me realize that I would and could never stop doing what I (we) do. When people look at me and ask "how can you do that?" I always answer with "how can you NOT?"

I'm now comforting myself with the fact that perhaps his short life out in the wild, all alone without siblings, was not really very pleasant and maybe he's at peace. It couldn't have been easy being a lone flying squirrel - I so wish he had had siblings. Maybe now he does.

Sue
Old 06-19-2008, 08:04 PM

Unless you take him for a necropsy you won't find out, and I doubt you would really get much in closure from finding out anyway.

There is the chance that he knew he was dieing and went to lie down, but more likely it happened suddenly in his sleep.

I'm glad you're re-thinking this thing and seeing it in a different light. I won't say by knowing he died it's better, but at least you know the outcome of his release (indirectly related) and maybe can adjust for the possibility with ANY future release too?

Oh yeah, ALSO whatever he had, he might have ended up the same if you had kept him as a pet, I hope you realize that too.

Keep going, we need more caring folks like you. It's not easy but there are times when you have to actually put the animal down yourself, and that's not easy!

I would try to not dwell on the sibling thing, the same could have happened if there were 4 of them. I don't know much about flying squirrels but think they are solitary? Anyway whether one or 9 of them you did the right thing, no matter what.
Old 06-19-2008, 08:05 PM
Administrator

That's what I like to hear! The true words of a true rehabber! You go girl!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-21-2008, 11:41 AM

I just now read your story. The fact that the little guy kept returning home means that you really did make him feel happy and comfortable in his life, and he had somewhere to go for security. Also, the fact that he didn't stay there all the time means that he did enjoy being wild and free for the time that he could. Without you, he wouldn't have gotten to know any of that at all. Like Michael said, it could have been any number of things that caused him to pass away, and chances are you wouldn't have been able to have prevented it even if he'd just stayed with you the entire time. But because you let him go, he knew what it was to be free and to really be a squirrel for a while. He had the best of both worlds, being under your wing. It sounds like when the end came for him, it was peaceful. I'm glad you won't give up, because even though this is the hardest part, ultimately you enriched each other's lives so much. And that's worth it, isn't it?
Old 06-21-2008, 11:56 AM

Wow, another great reply - I don't know how to thank you all enough for taking the time and effort to comfort me. You truly all DO understand what I'm feeling and that is priceless. Even though friends and co-workers pretend to be sympathetic they really don't "get it".

I am feeling some happiness today in that, like you all said, he had the best of both worlds, even if for a short time, and hopefully the end, although too soon, was an easy one. (we should all be so lucky, right?) Since squirrels (and animals in general) don't have the same sense of "time" that we do, it may have seemed like a very long, full life to him.

You've all given me the closure and peace I need. I will go out today, clean and disassemble his cage, and have it ready for "the next one". And yes, the joy he brought me is worth it all, even the tears. One more good cry today and I think I'll be done. Thanks again - all of you.

Sue
Old 06-21-2008, 12:14 PM
Administrator

That really was a great post, thanks for that!

I wanted to say something regarding the sense of time in animals. I think they don't care what time is, or not even that, it's not even an issue to them, because it'd require rationalizing. They don't care what was yesterday or are worried what might happen tomorrow, they live in the here and now.

But they do keep impressions like they remember where they felt safe or where they got hurt.

I'm thrilled to see how you are coming to terms with this traumatic experience, Sue, keep up the good work .
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog