Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > Introduce yourself

Introduce yourself This is a good place to tell a bit about yourself.

Old 05-22-2008, 03:20 PM

Default Re: Hello, Everyone!

It's called a sport merely because falconry was called a sport during the middle ages, and us falconers have seemed to use the word as well. You have to understand that when we take these birds hunting, they HUNT. We let them kill what they would naturally kill, (and in falconry they hunt,just with humans helping them). Part of falconry is to let the hawks do what they were born to do-hunt and kill animals.

MissDolittle and armstaff, thanks for the replies!

FG
Old 05-22-2008, 03:40 PM
Administrator

That makes sense. Thanks .
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 05-22-2008, 03:43 PM

You're welcome!
Old 05-25-2008, 03:33 PM

WOW!! My sister would love that. She really likes the birds of prey and hopes to work at a rescue that takes in those birds one day. THey are just absolutely beautiful.
We had a pair of Chicken Hawks(I can't remember their other name) nest in some woods behind our house this year. They only spent a few weeks in the nest though and then we stopped seeing them by it but they were neat to see anyway. We also have red-tailed hawks we see all the time.
Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 AM

Smile Re: Hello, Everyone!

i love the way you think miss dolittle=) i wish i could be close to a falcon!
i think the closest ive ever been to anything even somewhat close to that was maybe a little regular hawk flyin thru my yard.
i live in a city so we dont have many different kinds of creatures. just backyard creatures like squirrels and sometimes racoons and possums and maybe a skunk.
tho.....toward the end of the winter, there was a wild turkey strollin thru the yard. they are so big but theyre nothin like falcons lol
Old 05-28-2008, 11:25 AM
Administrator

I'd love to raise a turkey vulture, hehehe.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 05-28-2008, 05:24 PM

Thanks for all the responses guys!

FluffyTail, I hope your sister gets the awesome oppertunity to work with birds of prey-it's very rewarding! And actually, there is no such thing as a "chicken hawk" . It's a word a lot of people use, including me sometimes, to describe a Black Vulture, Turkey Vulture, Red-Tailed Hawk, or other large species of birds of prey!Watching nesting and breeding pairs are fun, and I bet you enjoy it! Most likely the hawks you saw for a short time probably migrated. (Their latin name, Buteo jamicanis, means "Jamacia", because some Red-Tails migrate all the way down to jamacia!)

Danny-The little regualar hawk you saw was most likely a Cooper's Hawk or a Sharp-Shinned hawk. They are usually seen in areas with trees, and can often be seen hunting small birds at bird feeders. Their coloration is almost the same, but their tails differ: Coopers have rounded tails and sharp shins have more square-shaped tails. The Coopers is larger than the sharp-shinned as well. You'd be suprised at all the wildlife you can find in the city!

MissDolittle-Turkey Vultures are awesome. I have a friend who rehabs at a college that I might be visiting this summer, and they're getting a Turkey Vulture, a Mississippi Kite, and an American Crow. They asked for my asistance with the birds, and I'd love to see the college-seeing as I'm looking around at different ones. If I end up handling the TV and all, I'll be sure to take pictures!

Falconry Girl
Sometimes I feel like I'm a bird with broken wings. At times I've drempt my now and envy where I've been. But that's when quiet wisdom takes control; at least I've got a story no one's told. I've finally learned to say: "Whatever will be will be!" I've learned to take to good, the bad, and breathe. 'Cause although we'd like to know what life's got planned, no one knows if shooting stars will land.
Old 06-01-2008, 11:43 PM

Hi and welcome to the board!
Old 06-02-2008, 04:19 PM

ooooh a black vulture, i wish i could have one. i wish i had more of a variety of creatures around here
Old 06-02-2008, 09:09 PM

Our bird book just said it was sometimes referred to as a chicken hawk but I believe it is really a coopers hawk. We have about 4 of them that seem to frequent the forested area behind our property. There call is very similar to that of the pileated woodpecker which we thought was interesting.
Would the hawks ( some of them) migrate away from indiana in Spring? I didn't know that hawks migrated We always have red tails around all year but the american kestrels and sometimes the coopers hawks do seem to disapear sometimes.