Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 06-03-2008, 04:46 PM

Default sick grey squirrel

last night my squirrel seemed fine. this morning he he could not walk his back legs were dragging.so the nearest vet was 40 miles away but he is family. xrays showed no thing broken calcium levels were very low. he seemed to be in great pain,vet said to give cal supl. and pain meds.ok now he is having trouble with his frnt. left paw. unable to hold food to eat very weak. vet won't do anything esle and no other vets will treat a squirrel. what should i do if he cant eat. he is about 3 mo. old male they were the ones who told me what to feed him but did not say that he needed a high cal diet not just nuts ect. nor did they mention that he might have MBD
Old 06-03-2008, 06:48 PM
Administrator

Default Re: sick grey squirrel

I'm sorry to hear of your troubles. What exactly do you feed? Have you had any experience with tube-feeding?
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-03-2008, 09:10 PM

thanks for the fast reply. i have been giving him mostly nuts and seeds.pecans,pine nuts, hazel nuts,sunflower seeds and commercial squirrel food that is assorted seeds. i know very little about tube feeding he was about 8 to 10 weeks old when he found me.do you have any idea how long this parylasis will last. i just started giving him cal. sup this morning
Old 06-03-2008, 09:40 PM
Administrator

Wow, at 3 months mine are just barely weaned. Have you been feeding him that diet since you got him? If so, it's most likely MBD, I'm afraid.

Calcium supplements are not enough, he needs to be outside in the sunlight (well not directly in the blazing sun, shade is fine)...a cage by the window is not enough, because the glass filters out the sunlight the squirrel needs.

Please go and read this page, it should give you all the information you need about squirrel diet:

http://www.squirrel-rescue.com/found-a-squirrel.htm

Diet may include kale, broccoli, apples, grapes, sweet potato, and hard-shelled nuts, yogurt, and a good quality rodent diet such as Mazuri Rodent Block or Zupreme Primate Dry Diet.

Know that by now the squirrel's teeth are continuously growing. If he does not have nuts to crack open and branches to chew on, his teeth will overgrow and he won't be able to eat at all. That's what happens with this commercial squirrel food that has only treats and no nutrition in it. It's like giving a kid chocolates and candy all day expecting it to grow up healthy.

I hope he comes around. Don't give up hope yet. Chances aren't too good, but they aren't zero either.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog