Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 06-12-2008, 09:01 PM

Default please help, injured squirrel

Hi,
I need help with a very hurt squirrel I found in my front bushes. He has a wound on his back that is swollen with a single hole in the middle. I used a pair of very thick mittens to pick him up and get him into a cage His back legs don't seem to be working very well as he was trying to pull himself along with his front legs. He was covered in flys and maggots. I rinsed him off with cool water and he was using his paws to drink from the hose. I then cleaned the wound the best I could with peroxide. He was shaking when he tried to move but I've been able to calm him down by talking softly to him. I have some unsalted peanuts a couple fresh pine cones, a piece of whole wheat bread with a light coat of peanut butter on half of it and some "helicopters" from a maple tree along with a bowl of water in with him. He has not eaten anything yet and he is now sleeping. I just figured if I gave him enough choices he would eat what he liked when he was ready.

I've gotten most of the maggots off him and now have him wrapped in a couple white t-shirts in my basement. he seems to be very comfortable with me now and I've even been able to pet him through the t-shirts, he doesn't make any moves to try and attack, he just looks at me. When I moved him into his new cage I was able to pick him up without him even squirming and he let me wrap him up in the t-shirts. Its cool in my basement and I didn't want him to be too cold. I also didn't want to let him bake outside in this heat and I also have 3 cats so I had to put him where he wouldn't be bothered.

I need any advice I can get on how to help him, what to feed him, anything you can tell me. I am worried about rabies so I have been making sure to only touch him with the heavy mittens and keep a safe distance. I have put a bowl of water in with him also. He is outside in a shady spot with a nice breeze. Please help, I know the local vets won't help since he is a wild animal and animal control will just put him down. I want to make him as comfortable as possible and do anything I can for him.

Thanks for your time,

Jacob
Old 06-12-2008, 09:52 PM
Administrator

Default Re: please help, injured squirrel

Heyas rocks, welcome on board and thanks for taking care of the squirrel!

It doesn't sound good what's going on there...is there any way you can find a wildlife rehabilitator? The animal needs to be in professional hands ASAP! Antibiotics are needed for sure.

But let me give you some first aid tips in the meantime.

First, put the squirrel in a crate and leave it alone. It's a wild animal and petting it will stress it out. The reason why it's not moving and just looking is that it's probably frozen in fear. Give it space to relax and calm down.

Comforting like this is good for humans, but not for animals .

Now we need fluids. Get rid of the food you put down for him for now. None of it is healthy. Just some water or even better Pedialyte would be fine and you can offer some yogurt or a piece of fruit.

Why don't you look here..it tells you everything you need to know:
http://www.squirrel-rescue.com/found-a-squirrel.htm

And here is the link on how to find a rehabber:
http://www.squirrel-rescue.com/find-rehabilitator.htm
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-12-2008, 10:15 PM

I tried finding help locally, but the only rehabilitation place already told me that they would just put him down. None of the local vets will help, they all told me to call animal control. I've been letting him alone for the last few hours, every now and they I just peek to see if he is still breathing and he is. I don't have much money as I'm disabled myself, but I'm willing to do what ever I can to help him. I don't know if he'll make it through the night but I'm hoping that now that I've got most of the maggots off him and the flies are gone that he'll be able to rest. He did drink some water, but it was plain tap water.

I'm pretty much on my own here locally, I've called every vet within driving distance and even a few that are far away just to try and get some help and I've gotten nothing but "call animal control" and I will not accept that as the only answer.

Jacob
Old 06-12-2008, 10:56 PM
Administrator

Bless your heart for sticking to your guns! I'd do the same thing!

Can you do the dehydration test? Pull up a little bit of skin on the back of the squirrel in shape of a tiny tent and then let go, see how long it takes to snap back. You can practice on the back of your own hand first..pull up the skin and let it snap back..it shouldn't take longer than 3 seconds to look normal again.

If it takes longer for the squirrel's skin to snap back, then he's dehydrated and needs elctrolytes. If you can't get hold of any Pedialyte, do this:

Mix 1 teaspoon salt with 3 tablespoons sugar in 1 quart of warm water and see if you can get him to drink some of that. Maybe you have a syringe around. Get rid of the needle though.

Can you tell if it's a full grown squirrel or still a youngen?
Old 06-12-2008, 11:03 PM

Hi Again,
I just checked on him and he is no longer breathing. I did all I could for him and at least he didn't pass on covered in maggots and flies. I wish I could have done more but thanks to some stupid laws no vet around here would even look at him. I wish I had better news to report, but I am at least content in the fact that he passed on as comfortable as I could possibly make him. I feel he knew I was trying to help and at least now he is no longer in pain. Thank you very much for your time.

I will be watching garage sales for small cages in case this ever happens again. I will never walk away from any animal that needs my help even if the law tells me otherwise.

Jacob
Old 06-12-2008, 11:09 PM

Oh no, I'm so sorry Jacob!

You tried though, and that says a lot.

It's good to see so many caring people, I love this place
Old 06-12-2008, 11:20 PM
Administrator

Sometimes all we can do is to make the last steps a bit easier, which makes a big difference to the animal. Thank you for having done that!

Feel free to stick around and use this as an opportunity to learn more about the lil critters. You never know when it comes in handy .
Old 06-12-2008, 11:30 PM

Thanks Michael,

We really need to work on getting these laws changed. I think its unacceptable to be turned away for help just because the animal isn't a pet. All life should have equal access to care and not be prevented from getting it just because its considered wildlife.

I would like to compile a list of things to have in my home in case this ever happens again. I'll get anything that I can store and not worry about it expiring so I can keep it on hand for any emergency that comes along. I'm open to suggestions for this list.

In my younger days I was one of a group of people that went to an oil spill in a local river. I was working with mostly geese, we had to tube feed them to keep their strength up so they could be cleaned and rehabilitated. I remember back then they were using Dawn dish washing soap to clean the crude oil from them. The thing that really surprised me was how strong those geese were and how they would clamp down on your finger as you held their mouth open to get the tube in.

jacob
Old 06-12-2008, 11:50 PM

Thanks MissDolittle,

It's kind of funny, My girlfriend calls me Dr. Dolittle because of how animals react with me. Even the meanest dogs act like big puppies with me. One day I was outside and I noticed a neighbors cat had something in its mouth, it was a toad. I got the toad from his mouth and figured it was a goner. It started raining and the cat took off so I laid the toad under a bush near the house. I woke up the next morning and the toad was gone. I assumed the cat got it again. I went back into the house, put on my bathing suit to take a swim in the back yard and when I got to the back door there was a toad sitting there. I picked it up and I could see the marks from the cat, it was the same toad!

I set it back down in the grass near the bushes and went into the pool. As I was swimming I noticed something swimming with me, the toad jumped in the pool. We swam together for about half an hour, every now and then I would lift him up out of the water and he would sit on my hand for a minute or so and then jump back in.

For the next couple of weeks every morning I would find this toad by the back door and we would go swimming. Even my girlfriends daughters would come and get me and tell me that the toad was waiting for me. When it got closer to winter I took the toad to a nearby lake and let him go. I still think about him to this day and the girls always bring it up whenever the conversation is about animals.

Many people think animals are dumb, but I disagree. Somehow that toad showed up every morning and waited by the door. It never jumped in the pool unless I went in first, it would just sit there and wait for me. I understand some of you may not believe this story and thats ok. I lived it and I'll never forget it.

Jacob
Old 06-13-2008, 08:48 AM

Just thought I'd welcome you on board! I am sorry you lost the squirrel but like you said you made him comfortable. Good Job!