Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 06-23-2008, 12:15 PM

Default Squirrel that cannot eat! Any advice?

Hello,

This is my first post and I am very glad to find this forum. I live in Milwaukee, WI and have a yard populated with many funny, adorable squirrels. Saturday evening my mom had put an assortment of nuts on the porch for dinner (filberts, walnuts, pecans, almonds, and unsalted peanuts). There was one squirrel who came up and kept drinking water from a bowl we keep at the end of the porch. He then grabbed a peanut and kept rolling it around in his paws but didn't crack into it. He did the same with a filbert and walnut before leaving. Sunday morning I saw him again and he came up within a few feet of me. I was able to see his face. One eye was swollen shut (if the eye was even there, it could have been the socket). His other eye looked hazy-like glaucoma. I thought maybe this little guy might be blind because he came so close to me. His chin was red too and there looked to be blood around his mouth. I'm terrified that he will starve to death or suffer a slow death due to disease or injury. He looks to be at a healthy weight and no other injuries to the body. I thought about the options...trap and take him to a rehabber (But will the car ride be too traumatic? Can I even trap him with 15 other squirrels in the yard?), Would a rehabber even take him? I was thinking of making some kind of mush he could lap up without having to use teeth or jaw. Does anyone have any recipes? I have unsalted organic peanut butter. Are squirrels prone to eye problems? This is the second squirrel I have seen that had an eye injury. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Thank you!
Old 06-23-2008, 12:39 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Squirrel that cannot eat! Any advice?

Welcome on board!!!! I used to live in Wisconsin, but the south-western part in Cassville . Way too cold for this lady!!! LOL

Anyways, here's what I would do. First, find a rehabber before taking any action, see if there is something local going on. Then call the Game Warden and/or Animal Control and ask the same questions..if there are any illnesses going around that they are aware of, such as the squirrel pocks in Colorado.

They also might be able to make some suggestions on how to trap the animal or if at all necessary. It's hard to tell.

If I found it necessary to trap an adult squirrel, I would make sure before I trap it, what I'm going to do with it, so it doesn't have to stay confined a second longer than necessary.

In a crate with a some tshirts and lots of privacy, a transport should not be too traumatic. It's the handling by humans that scares them the most. So no ooohing and aaaaaawing hovering over the crate or trap all day once you got him! hehe

For trapping purposes, just use nuts and maybe some fruit. If you trap the wrong one, let it go and try again. Keep on trying until you got the right one. Just don't trap if you don't have a rehabber to bring it to right away or a vet willing to treat it. OK, I stressed that point enough by now, I shut up LOL.

Does that help any?
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-23-2008, 12:53 PM

Thank you for your quick response. Believe me, I would definitely have a plan and thank you for stressing that. I want any cage time to be minimal. If afraid transporting a scared little guy would be more traumatic for me. I know of two rehabbers and will try contacting them. Woud a rehabber tranquilize the squirrel to get him calm and out of the cage? I'll have to check out those squirrel pocks. I have never heard of them.
Old 06-23-2008, 01:00 PM
Administrator

Sounds like you are doing the right things, thank you so much for caring too!

I doubt any rehabber would tranquilize a squirrel, at least not rehabbers like me, because I wouldn't even know where to get the medication for that. That's probably reserved for vets and animal control and such.

I have transported many wild animals, they are ok if you keep them in a small enough crate where they can't move around too much and maybe cover it with a towel, so they don't see anything either. Most animals believe that if they can't see you, you can't see them either..that's why many simply hide their head in a corner, lol.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-23-2008, 04:39 PM

Your local rehabber is the Wisconsin Humane Society, http://www.wihumane.org/wildlife/default.aspx I'm in Kenosha myself

I have little experience with them since Milwaukee is kinda far.

Hope that helps.
Old 06-24-2008, 08:42 AM

Michael, thank you for the suggestion, but I have dealt with the WI Humane Society and would not do it again. Last summer I found a baby squirrel in a park trash can. After waiting to see if his mom would return I took him there.
WHS put him down right quick saying he was too small and probably wouldn't have made it. I feel I killed him for taking him there. At least they could have given him a chance.
Old 06-24-2008, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baby Squirrel View Post
Michael, thank you for the suggestion, but I have dealt with the WI Humane Society and would not do it again. Last summer I found a baby squirrel in a park trash can. After waiting to see if his mom would return I took him there.
WHS put him down right quick saying he was too small and probably wouldn't have made it. I feel I killed him for taking him there. At least they could have given him a chance.
Oh okay thanks, I really didn't know.

Maybe try Fellow Mortals in Lake Geneva. http://www.fellowmortals.org/index.html