Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Skunks

Skunks Talk about skunks.

Old 06-25-2008, 01:25 AM

Question Seven baby orphan skunks!

Hi there, Im quite new here and I have quite a few questions that need answers as soon as can be!

Two nights ago, my brother was driving down the highway and there were 7 little tiny baby skunks in the road being nearly run-over! He stopped and put them in a cooler and took them home and his girlfriend has been feeding them kitten formulia ever since. We are almost sure the mother got hit. He did manage to get them home and feed them. Now we are stuck with seven tiny black and white stinky fur-balls that are adoreable. But were compleatly lost on what to do. We just found out they LOVE to eat june-bugs and any kind of bug they can find. and they like the kitten formulia too. But two of them are getting worryingly weak and not acting like they feel very good. Here are my questions:

#1: Is it safe to feed them Kitten Formulia?

#2: What kind of food do they eat other than fomulia?

We are desprate to keep them alive, they are so sweet. We have absloutely no clue how old they are and what genders they are but we know they are all from the same litter. ANY info is appreciated!! Thanks for your time.
Old 06-25-2008, 06:39 AM

Default Re: Seven baby orphan skunks!

Hi LDove and welcome to the site!

If they are eating bugs then the kitten formula should supplement their needs, however I wouldn't plan to keep using it as it lacks in many regards.

I actually don't know much about skunks as of yet but I am pretty sure they need some veggies as well as meats.

In my state licensed rehabbers are not allowed to take in skunks, due to a rabies law (which I'm trying to get them to re-evaluate here).

I'm concerned that the mother wasn't found or smelled she might not have been killed, but then again the babies shouldn't have been on the side of the road either.

I'll try to gather some information and post back though. Can you post up some pics?
Old 06-25-2008, 09:38 AM
Administrator

Kitten formula is actually the right choice, but if they aren't doing good on it, try Esbilac.

If the eyes are open, offer dry kitten food as well as mealworms, fruits and veggies.

Now I HAVE to stress that these babies CAN be carrying the rabies virus without being sick or showing symptoms and the person handling them still can fall ill and die.

I personally don't take in skunks either, because an estimated 80% of our skunks here in Central Texas are positive for rabies.

I understand wanting to help the babies, believe me I do, but risking yours and everybody else's life for that is not something I like to encourage.

I suggest to call the Game Warden and get his advice. Maybe he can point you to a rehabber that does take in baby skunks. It's quite a shame that these animals are so easily infected with that virus.

At least make sure whoever handles the animals ALWAYS wears gloves. And no contact with other animals/pets!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-25-2008, 11:52 AM

Thanks for getting back with me so quickly, we are useing gloves at all times and towls to hold them. I can post pics later but my mom has her camera at work right now. They do have their eyes open and my mom has been pressuring him to turn them over to the Wildlife center, but he hasnt yet.

I will make sure to tell my brother what you said about no contact about other animals and pets, he has a snake and a very small red-eared- slider at his house that his girlfriend takes care of for him. (She takes care of all his pets... lol) But it is very sad to hear that 80% of them have rabies, I will most certinly not be able to handle them anymore we live in the country and have a orphan horse that depends on being handled along with MANY other cats and a few dogs. Thank you both for the info, and I will be showing this to my brother as soon as he can get to a computer! I hope we can at least keep them alive now until they can be taken to someone who knows how to handle them!
Old 06-25-2008, 12:09 PM

I just worry that any rehabber or wildlife officials will just put them down...
Old 06-25-2008, 01:45 PM

My brother really wants to keep them, so we might not be taking them to a wild-life place, but we are for-sure taking them to the vet. I dont want them to be put down either. And as long we have a say in what happens to them they wont be put down unless it is for the best.
Old 06-25-2008, 02:19 PM
Administrator

I seriously doubt that he's going to find a vet to take a look at the animals, because he would risk to lose his license. It doesn't matter where you live in the US, owning skunks is illegal. It'll cost around 500 Dollars fine for ONE skunk and it doubles with each animal, at least here in Texas.

And you know what, that is for a reason! I'm not happy about the idea of your brother wanting to keep them and have to strongly advise against it. It's irresponsible to put others at risk like that and not fair to the animals, since he really doesn't know what he is doing.

I wouldn't feel this strong if it was a squirrel or any other animal, but you have not seen that rabid skunk in my yard 3 months ago that my dogs killed and the pain the butt we had to go through with the quarantine.

It is a dangerous game and I have the impression that he is not aware of that fact. Please do what you can to convince him to at least try to find a rehabber that will take them and not put them down. I don't want to be part of it if somebody dies because of this.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog