Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Other Wildlife

Other Wildlife Talk about wildlife not covered in the above forums or make a suggestion for a new forum.

Old 07-02-2008, 11:23 AM

Default Could a goat raise a baby deer?

Hi, I have a miniature dairy goat that is due to kid soon and I think she is a good candidate to be a foster mom. Last year Pumpkin adopted me, a little girl down the road, and a toddler at a goat show. I am pretty sure she would adopt an orphaned fawn or two, maybe more. Pumpkin has raised 5 of her own kids at one time before with out help in the past, before we got her. She is a Nigerian dwarf and the breed has a high percent of butterfat and Protein very similar to deer milk. My only concern is if the baby(s) would over eat.

What do ya’ll think? Oh and hi I’m new to the forum.
Old 07-02-2008, 03:14 PM

Default Re: Could a goat raise a baby deer?

I know that the rehabbers around here use goats milk for all the orphaned deer they get in . I would think it would work very well to use her milk to raise orphans. If she would accept them I would think it would be worth a try becuase the babies would also be getting that all important "mommy love". I think size wise the babies would get bigger than she is very quickly and while they would still be nursing so I don't know how that would work out. As far as over eating, the fawns nurse off the mother without overeating and if they do overeat it really isn't any big deal. If you have seen cats with kittens there seems to be one who always eats a little too much but it never causes any trouble.

So there is my two cents worth . Oh, and Welcome! I am sure you will enjoy it here.
Old 07-04-2008, 01:38 PM
Administrator

Howdy and welcome to the forum!!!

I have no idea really, never worked with goats nor deer, but I was wondering...your post sounds like as if you got tons of fawns around ready to be nursed lol. Are you a rehabber or how do you get the fawns? And most importantly, got fawn and goat pics?????????

Bless Pumpkin, she sounds like a hero! And so do you .
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 07-10-2008, 10:04 PM

Thanks for the input. Sorry it has been so long sence I posted. I've been a little buissy, ya'll know how it can be sometimes.

I Just officialy got my wildlife rehabers licence last week and I am so proud of it! My friend who has been a rehaber for a long time said she usually gets several around this time each year but accationally she won't get but 4 or 5 a year. This, I guess, is one of those years. She hasn't had a fawn yet.

I kinda got a chuckle at first about Pumpkin being a hero. She is the herd boss and as such she flaunts her power and authority over all the does. Even through all her "eveil" she is a kind, attentive, responsible, accepting and loving mother goat. Here is a pic of her in her second month of being preggy. I'll try to ge a new pic of her in the morning.
http://www.freewebs.com/landaminiatures/does.htm
Oh... and she is 5th from the top if it doesn't go to the her first.
Old 07-10-2008, 10:41 PM

Good for you on the license!

I'm still trying to get a sponsor rehabber, a sponsor vet and a few release sites.

Great looking goats BTW!
Old 09-17-2008, 10:54 AM

I just took a look at those pictures. The goats are beautiful. I hope everything will work out with the fawns!
Old 06-02-2009, 06:21 PM

Just thought I’d give ya'll an update.

Deery & Milley have been released for a while now at another rehabber’s place with their deer.

Milley has not been seen since the day after she was released.

Deery is still seen fairly regularly but doesn't approach their house or them.

Pumpkin got very depressed after Deery left. I even thought she may slip away. All she did was lay around and mope after she got past the looking for him stage. She didn't even throw a kicking fit on the milk stand which she usually did. She was so sad.

She seems a lot better now. We are giving her special sugar cones to lift her spirits. She is back to beating up the other milkers which is a good sign.

There are new pics on the site and here is one of my favs!http://www.landaminiatures.com/farmphotos.htm

I also like this one.

Here is a slideshow I did for Deery & Pumkin. It also has some pics with Rosie, Deery's first friend.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0x1ug...eature=channel
Old 06-02-2009, 07:08 PM
Administrator

Oh how adorable!!! Thank you so much for the updates!!!!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog