Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 07-17-2008, 05:43 AM

Default burying food

First off I would like to thank you Miss D. for the info provided here. It proved good enough for two novices to raise and release a happy healthy grey.

I read somewhere something about encouraging a juvenile to forage and bury. I doubt this is neccesary after watching our little guy try to bury things in the kitchen floor beginning at about 7 to 8 weeks old. I doubt you could stop the behavior if you wanted.

I was watching him in the yard last night taking the 5 peanuts I put out and burying them all. I remarked weeks ago to my girlfriend that 75% of squirrel energy is simply wasted. Do you honestly think this is a crucial survival behavior. I have heard several times that any recovery of the buried food by a squirrel is coincidental and rare. It sure is cute watching him pat the ground so carefully when he is done though.

Thanks again for the wisdom. We had so much fun raising him and I knew when this wild animal peed and pooped on her couch and trashed a plant and she laughed about it I had found the girl of my dreams. OK I knew that already but it bonded us even more.
Old 07-17-2008, 09:34 AM
Administrator

Default Re: burying food

Thank you very much, John, and thank you even more for taking care of the critters!! It's always great to get such positive feedback .

Lil note: go easy on the peanuts. It's like candy for children. It discourages the squirrels to work on hard shelled nuts to keep their teeth short. If the teeth grow too long, the squirrel can't chew anymore and will starve.

I even went so far and banned all peanuts and sunflower seeds from my house and yard and I only put hard shelled nuts outside.

I'm glad you found your dream girl!!!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 07-18-2008, 12:52 AM
Administrator

Default Re: burying food

Burying their little treasures may be wasted energy, but it's good for the trees that grow as a result!