Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 08-04-2008, 11:16 AM

Default Need help for 4 little raccoons

Hello all,

My name is Mike and I live in upstate NY. Yesterday (Sunday) I discovered 4 small orphan raccoons living in an old tree on my property. Unfortunatly, I believe it is their mother I found dead in the road Friday morning. They have been calling to their mother and I'm not sure what I can do. They are old enough to venture up and down the tree a little. And while watching them they looked a little shaky. I build a makeshift shelf (2' x 3') and put water, veggies, and dry dog food hoping they might eat. But after checking this morning, they still appeared not to have eaten. The shelf is a few feet below their hole which is 12 feet off the ground.

I've checked the NY Department of Conservation website, and they will not take in orphan raccoons. If there is any good ideas, I'm open to suggestions. I'll try and post pics soon.

Thanks, Mike
Old 08-04-2008, 11:31 AM

Default Re: Need help for 4 little raccoons

I'm sure you'll get a reply from someone more experienced any minute now. It sounds to me that the little coons may still need milk. You can substitute their mother's milk with Esbilac (puppy formula).

I bet they're cute little buggers!

We have a raccoon thread here as well, but it's pretty new, so you won't find too much info there yet.
Old 08-04-2008, 11:32 AM
Administrator

Heyas Mike,

we already talked over PM, but I wanted to give you this URL, see if you can turn somebody up there. Just because the GOV website says they don't take in raccoons, doesn't mean the rehabbers don't either.

http://www.tc.umn.edu/~devo0028/contactN.htm#ny

Thanks again for caring about the buggers .

I hope somebody can tell you in the meantime how to get food into them, because I don't know. I'd say that depends mostly on how old they are and in order to determine that, pictures would be the most helpful.

Or maybe you can look through Google Images and find a picture of babies of the same size as yours.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 08-05-2008, 08:52 AM

Here is an update. I checked the shelf and none of the food, veggies, or milk was touched and the little fellas were gone. I could hear them out in the back yard and found them wandering in the tall weeds. The scary thing is that they had no fear and came right out to me. I brought water, milk, soft and dry dog food, but they had no interest in any of it. I tried for a few hours to no avail. I'm guessing they will be gone when I get home from work this evening.

They would not sit still, so some of the pics are not clear. I put one in a plastic tub so he would sit still for a picture.

Old 08-05-2008, 09:35 AM
Administrator

Aaaah! Sweet pics! They do look like they can eat on their own and maybe prefer the natural diet around instead of what you offer, but that is just a wild guess.
Old 08-05-2008, 12:37 PM

I'm hoping they will be able to eat on their own. Unfortunately, with all the chattering they do and the lack of fear I hope they don't attract a fox or coyote. I'll let you folks in on any updates.

I'll call them Larry, Curly, Moe, and Shemp because of the mischief they get themselves into.

~mike
Old 08-05-2008, 04:05 PM
Administrator

Please do! Keep us updated that is. Sweet names .
Old 08-06-2008, 11:29 AM

It looks like those babies are about six weeks old so they might be nibbling on solid food but not really eating it. They would still be getting most of their food from nursing off mom. The only way you will probably get them to eat is to actually give them Kitten milk replacer or goats milk in a bottle. You can add a little corn syrup to it to make it sweeter so they might like it better. If you cannot get them to drink from a bottle a 3cc syringe(without a needle) works well to get some food into them.
They aren't afraid of you because they are hungry and looking for mom. If at all possible you should get them into a cage or something to keep them from wandering off. A large dog crate works great.
Coons cannot totally fend for themselves until they are about 6-7 months old.
Oh, if you want to find them and you don't see them you may be able to just make the trilling noise they make which is similar to moms call and they should respond, especially since they are hungry. My little coons usually come running when they hear me call.
Hope this helps a little, keep us updated!
Old 08-07-2008, 11:27 AM

Hi Fluffytial,

I thought about a dog cage or something like it, but I don't have one or access to one. I thought about closing them in the garage, but figured they might cause more harm than good. The last 2 evenings I haven't heard from them. I am surrounded by a creek/woods to the East, corn fields way out back (North), and open field on the West. There is room for them to wander, but they shouldn't venture too far (I hope). I'll keep an eye (and ear) out for them and let you know. Thanks for the info on their age, I'm hoping they will be alright on their own. I found they sound a little like tree frogs, but with variation.
Old 08-07-2008, 11:52 AM

I don't know, maybe I'm not seeing right with the pictures but it looks to me like they are near teenage years and should be eating solid foods and drinking water.

When I had 2 babies I would mix their formula with veggies and fruits, they especially loved the blueberries and grapes.

Maybe put out some fruits, veggies and dry puppy food?