Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 08-07-2008, 02:23 PM

Default Baby squirrel found

Two days ago, I found a baby on the cement while on a walk. It wasn't moving, so I figured it was dead. Just as I passed by, it moved a little. She was covered in fleas and ants and I decided to get a box and pick her up. I would rather her have died comfortable than cold and lonely.

She curled up in the old t-shirt I popped in there and immediately looked better. About an hour later, I added a hand warmer since she was still doing well.

I tried giving her pedialyte in one of those pet nursers (I bought one with a catac nipple) but she wouldn't have it.

She went 8 hours or so before I used a straw. She licked liquid from it's tip as well as my fingers, so we switched to a ballbearing feeder for rats.

After I was certain she was rehydrated (her first urine with me was a deep yellow- not dark, but very yellowy) I offered her some esbalic in a small, small eye dropper. She tasted it but wouldn't take it.

I was growing worried and so I decided I would try one last thing. Scalded milk. It's the same thing they put into esbalic. She actually took it. She's had a few feedings with it and seems to have regained her strength. Her urine is clear and her stood is firm (not hard) and a normal-looking brown color.

Now, though, she's been curling into a ball inside of her fleece, next to a hot-water bottle and on top of her hand-warmer. When I pick her up, she doesn't move from the ball and doesn't respond. It takes her a moment until she jumps, as if I've startled her but then she begins moving around normally.

Is this normal? And no, her eyes have not opened.
Old 08-07-2008, 02:38 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Baby squirrel found

Welcome on board!

Now, I dunno if it's just me or what, but what KIND of baby are you talking about???? LOL

In general it is normal for a baby to take a while to respond..I often got scared that they might be dead just for them to gather their wits and be totally normal.

But before I can tell you anything more, I need to know what exactly you have there. Any way you can post a picture?

And do lose the scalded milk, please. No matter what it is. It is the lactose that causes the problems, and scalding doesn't destroy that, or does it?
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 08-07-2008, 02:47 PM

It's a fox squirrel, common around my part. (Nebraska)

http://s41.photobucket.com/albums/e2...t=DSCN1475.jpg
^ That's a picture

I keep trying to get her to take the forumla, but she completely refuses. She'll only have the pedialyte and scalded milk...

Last edited by Sucker_for_critters : 08-07-2008 at 02:48 PM.
Old 08-07-2008, 04:28 PM
Administrator

Oh ok, yep, we have those too here in Texas.

Have you tried to reach a licensed wildlife rehabber in your area?

Having said that, the art of feeding a squirrel is not really in what, but in the how.

I have a few movies that can give you a visual on that. One thing I never got them to drink from is a normal kitten bottle. Those nipples are way too short..they like to swallow those nipples almost all the way down into the stomach.

OK, these are a bit older, but the idea is the same..syringe and long nipple. Danger number 1: aspiration. Once milk comes out of the nose pneumonia is near, so be very careful to let the baby suckle as hard as it wants..that's why a syringe is best to control the flow:

Old 08-07-2008, 04:57 PM

The syringe is on order (it was ordered last night and was sent out this morning). I already have a catac nipple, but she just spits it out. I tried rolling out a little while it was in her mouth for her to get the idea, but she wouldn't have it.

I called a rehabilitator and left a message two days ago when I found her, but no answer.

I don't think I've aspirated her- she's not "sneezed" while sucking because it's too fast- it's more that she lets go and gets it up her nose from running into it. I just dab at it with a q-tip. I don't hear clicking or any real sound when I listen to her breathing. I've read that I should turn her upside down and dab though I would rather be certain it's safe than to just do it.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:01 PM

The syringe is on order (it was ordered last night and was sent out this morning). I already have a catac nipple, but she just spits it out. I tried rolling out a little while it was in her mouth for her to get the idea, but she wouldn't have it.

I called a rehabilitator and left a message two days ago when I found her, but no answer.

I don't think I've aspirated her- she's not "sneezed" while sucking because it's too fast- it's more that she lets go and gets it up her nose from running into it. I just dab at it with a q-tip. I don't hear clicking or any real sound when I listen to her breathing. I've read that I should turn her upside down and dab though I would rather be certain it's safe than to just do it.

She's out in the garage, though, since I'm not certain if she carries parasites or sicknesses I can get, my family can get, or if my cats can get. I have a 12-week-old kitten here now- he cost $600, so I'd really like for him to not get sick.

After every time I touch her, I tend to wash my hands really well just in case.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator

Does it appear as if she tries to get the nipple away with her front paws? It looks as if they are fighting with all the might to get whatever it is away from their faces, but once it's in there, they grab it and hold tight.

Sometimes it takes a day for them to catch on or they have to get real hungry first.

Yes, once something comes out of her nose, I stop feeding and hold her upside down and dab the back a little. I had squirrels get pneumonia from one time aspirating and not make it, and I had squirrels where it happened endless times and they never got pneumonia.

I'm missing something, but I can't put the finger on it.
Old 08-07-2008, 05:06 PM
Administrator

No worries about illnesses or parasites. The only parasites are the visible ones like lice, fleas and maggots. However, a cat's breath alone can kill a squirrel, so you do want to keep them apart for sure.
Old 08-07-2008, 07:56 PM

No, she moves her head away with that tongue-push thing like "Yuck!" I've REALLY insisted she use it twice now, though she's been exposed to it before.

Both times she barely suckles on it, kind of... Chapping on it. I wonder if I need to put more holes in it- I can squirt out water by rolling my fingers on it...

I'll try to record tomorrow's feeding. I feed her once at 7, then 12, 5 and finally 10.

She didn't take her 10 feeding last night, pooped and peed like normal this morning. Didn't pee for the 12 or 5 though pooped at least at 5. I can't remember if she did or not for 12. It was diarrhea this time. I used a bit of water and made sure I got it off, else it irritate her skin.

EDIT: I've decided to switch her over to Esbalic- period. The rehabilitator called- they can't take her in, but they told me the TRUTH about the scalded milk. Her site needs to be removed- it's dangerous. I just hope she'll -accept- the formula.

Last edited by Sucker_for_critters : 08-07-2008 at 08:16 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:21 AM
Administrator

How is it going this morning?

There is one rehabber online that has a website promoting scalded milk. She had her license revoked because she was putting all kinds of BS out there...and her sites are still out there. Sounds like you stumbled onto one of those. I forgot her name and I don't think I want to even mention it here and draw more attention to her sites.

I had assumed you found me through one of my places...in case you have not seen it: http://www.rainbowwildlife.com/baby-squirrel.htm

Here's everything you need to know.

It just so happened that I got 3 babies last night, same age as yours...2 boys and a girl. I will try to film the next feeding!!!