Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 08-08-2008, 10:42 AM

Default Re: Baby squirrel found

Last night she had diarrhea. I gave her a bit of pedialyte but she wouldn't take very much. I cleaned her up and put her to bed.

This morning, her bottom was crusted over. I cleaned her up- it was an orangy color- and she gave one small white pellet. I'm worried about her.

I tried to give her some formula (1/2 water, 1/2 formula) as well as pedialyte, but she won't eat either. She urinated for me and it was clear. I blame myself for this, really. I'm not sure what to give her, now.

I've offered both pedialyte and formula to her twice, 7:00 and 9:00. (it's 9:37 right now). I got her to drink 1/4 of a cc at 9:00. I read on the link you offered to give her Ensure- do you think that will help her?
Old 08-08-2008, 10:47 AM
Administrator

Too much Pedialyte causes diarrhea.
Diet change causes diarrhea.
Feeding full strength formula right away causes diarrhea.

There are your culprits.

Have you done the skin tent test to see if she is still dehydrated and really need Pedialyte?

If she still needs it, add a little to the Esbilac, which you need to dilute. I use 1 scoop of Esbilac powder and 2 scoops of water and then add 1 scoop of Pedialyte or water.

Then gradually leave out the Pedialyte and cut down to normal strength..lets say over a period of 2 - 3 days.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 08-08-2008, 10:51 AM
Administrator

I forgot to mention the amount of formula she needs, because overfeeding can cause diarrhea too, even though I doubt that this is the case right now.

Rule of thumb is 5 - 7% of their body weight in cc or ml (same thing).

Example: squirrel weighs a 100 grams, 5% of that is 5 cc or ml
Old 08-08-2008, 11:17 AM

Currently, all I can afford is the canned Esbilac. I diluted it last night and this morning when I tried to feed her.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zS_8aQwKJpE That's a link to something strange she's been doing since the diarrhea developed- I have no idea if it's normal.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:26 AM
Administrator

Looks like she's got the hiccups. And she's definitely hungry and looking for food. And she is weak.

When are you getting the syringe? Isn't there a feed store in your area where you can get one real quick? They got them at Walmart too at the drug store section..without needles.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:30 AM

I've asked the people there after I looked high and low- the only think they had to offer was a small eye dropper which was better than nothing.

If she won't take food from the catac nipple, nor from the dropper.. What can I do for her? The syringes should be here either today at 3 or -Monday-. I'll ask my grandmother to take me to the Wal-mart in the next city...
Old 08-08-2008, 11:39 AM
Administrator

I just recently bought a syringe at Walmart that was meant for feeding cough syrup orally to human babies. Just to give you an idea where to look.

See, what gets my squirrels to latch on to a nipple is that first drop of milk coming out of there that convinces them that the foreign object in their mouths is not the enemy. And that first drop is up to you to provide..so a syringe is the easiest.

Since she is very weak, she might not be able to suckle hard, sometimes it's not even visible that they do suckle.

I did have the occasional squirrel that didn't want to eat at all, so I tube-fed them, but that is not something that's easily explained nor are the supplies easily available.

I would also start the squirrel on antibiotics, but I doubt you happen to have infant Amoxicillin in the house, do you?
Old 08-08-2008, 01:29 PM

I came home from Wal-mart and there was the package of syringes on the bed. I washed them out with hot water, just to be sure, and fed her the formula mix you suggested- the water, pedialyte and milk.

Goodness, does it help! She suckles on the nipple just a little, so I help her by pushing milk in through the nipple slowly. She likes to push it down her throat then pull back a bit, so I just sort've keep her from getting too far down with my fingers.

She took 2ccs on her own and I insisted she drink at least another 1.5.

I don't have a gram scale yet, but someone said they'd ask their parents if they had one I could have.

Edit: No, no amoxicillain. I'm severely allergic to it so someone else would have to handle it.

Last edited by Sucker_for_critters : 08-08-2008 at 01:30 PM.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:36 PM
Administrator

Yeeeeeeeah!!! Good job!!! From the looks she can take about 4-5 cc, but 2 is a good start!

I had just filmed me feeding my lil buggers. I'll post it anywhere if it came out ok..have to check it still.
Old 08-08-2008, 01:52 PM

I wound up having her eat 3.5cc. I usually feed her again at 3~4 o'clock, which is around 4 hours between feedings. Should I feed her earlier or later, or is that a good time?

(7 am, 11 am, 4 pm, 8 pm are when I feed her)

I'll move to a different thread since I don't think this is an emergency anymore.

THANK YOU SOOOO MUCH FOR ALL YOUR HELP. It's people like you who redeem my faith in humanity.