Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 08-24-2008, 06:23 AM

Default Baby Kitten...

Hello,

I live in a third world country and anything related to the well-being of animals is hard to come by. Last night I found a baby kitten in a towel beside a dumpster. I waited for its (I have no idea what sex it is, I'm new to this stuff) mother to return for a few hours, but she never did. For this reason and becuase it was wrapped in a towel, I assumed it was either left there for dead by some douchebag or its mother had died. I called around and finally found a vet. He refused to sell me babycat milk that night and told me to feed it heavily diluted, skimmed milk until he opens the next morning. I did so last night and so far it seems OK.

Anyways, I went to the vet this morning and bought me some babycat milk. It is powder. Called Royal Canin Babycat milk 300g. Unfortunately, the feeding instructions are missing from the box. If anyone can send me what the powder to water ratio is with whatever important details I need to know that would be GREAT. The vet doesn't know, and I really haven't an idea who to ask. I'm going to sort of make up my own solution until someone helps me out!!! She is pretty nasty looking right now (covered in poo) and I would love to give her a bath, but I'm afraid she isn't ready for one.

Also, I study abroad in Canada (I come to the Middle East to visit family). If it is, say, 6 days old, and I am flying back in 10 days, will it be safe to bring her with me? Do they allow tiny animals as carry on these days so I can feed her? Is there another way to sort of 'ship' her safely?

Thanks a bunch,
Ahmad
Old 08-24-2008, 09:19 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Baby Kitten...

Welcome on board Ahmad and thanks for trying to save the kitten!

I am not familiar with the product you have there, but usually it is 2 parts of water and 1 part of powder (edit for correction). Try to google to find directions for it.

If the kitten is about 10 days old, then her eyes are still closed or just opening, is that right?

If so, the kitten needs food every 4 hours, even at night, you can give her a bath without anything but lemon juice maybe and you have to dry the kitten right away and put her on some heat before she gets cold.

A bath is a lot of stress on a kitten, so do it as fast as possible. She'll be grateful for being clean!

As to traveling across countries..most airlines demand full vet papers, all vaccinations etc. A kitten this young can't be vaccinated yet and therefore I doubt it's possible to take it even on a plane, leave alone across country borders.

That should get you started! For keeping the kittens warm, I use a rice buddy. You can read here how to make one: http://www.petsandwildlifeforum.com/...highlight=rice
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 08-24-2008, 01:49 PM

Hello,

First off thanks a ton for all the advice!

I did try googling the milk thing before posting in this forum but nothing turned up I'll give it another go though and see what happens.

The vet says she is only about 6 days old. Her eyes are still closed, but I think I saw one open for a second because I was stroking her head (is that bad?).

I have another BIG problem though and it is REALLY bugging me... The kitten seems to be really scared of me. Everytime I take it out of its box (padded with towels), it meows a lot, but in an either 'let me go kind' of way, or 'where is my mommy' kind of way. I tried feeding her countless times, and only twice in the last 24hrs has she actually had some babycat milk. I have no idea what to do... I read a bunch of internet sites about how to properly feed her (positioning, temperature and such), but she just doesn't like me feeding her. I tried 'burping' her afterwards but nothing happened. I did massage her, ummm, defecation area I guess, and that seemed to work, but she only made a brownish liquid, no solids of any kind. Does she have diarrhea?

Thank you SO much for the rice heater idea. I'll get on it right away. Instead of sock and cloth, can I just use two socks, each one wrapped at an opposite end? How often must I re-heat it?

I am NOT looking forward to my departure date... Its gonna break my heart to leave her here! Hopefully by then I would have found some loving owners...

Thanks so much!
Old 08-24-2008, 02:07 PM
Administrator

Well, when the eyes are open, they are open and only close when she's asleep, you must have seen something else. They'll open at day 10-12 after birth. '

What you hear from the kitten is noises of hunger. Just keep the kitten wrapped up in a towel and have just the head stick out, so she feels safer. Do not put the kitten on her back while feeding. she needs to be upright.

How or with what are you trying to feed her?

Forget burping, that happens by itself. The brownish stuff is probably from the cow's milk you gave her yesterday, which is basically poison to all mammals, because it causes such diarrhea that it kills already weak babies.

Dilute the milkpowder you have with 3 parts of water instead of 2 and add some plain yoghurt if you have it..just a little bit. It should help the diarrhea.

Now let me find some movies of me bottle feeding kittens..maybe that helps. The entire trick lies in the hole in the nipple. Milk has to be able to drip out of it, otherwise they are never going to use it.

Reheat the rice sock every 2 hours or when it gets cold. They are really not that good for overnight heat.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:08 PM

Also, I just read some info about telling a kittens age. Apparently, if they can crawl, they are 3 weeks old and have open eyes. My kitty's eyes are still shut, but she can crawl and is strong enough to be a pain to feed... Is she just blind?
Old 08-24-2008, 02:16 PM

I'm feeding her with the bottle the babycat stuff came with. I'll try the towel idea now while allowing milk-yogurt to drip. I KNEW I shouldn't have given her cows milk.. The vet was pretty useless I guess. She is LOVING the heat by the way. It didn't take 10 seconds for her to head over to the sock lol. How about a couple side lamps pointing towards her from the top for over night heating? Or will she get irritated from the light?

Thanks SO MUCH you've been hugely helpful!
Old 08-24-2008, 02:17 PM
Administrator

I think this movie is the best bet. The first couple of minutes are boring, you can skip those, but after that I bathe tiny kittens, about the same age as yours and also bottle feed them afterwards:

Old 08-24-2008, 02:21 PM
Administrator

You are doing such a great job!

I'm always a bit scared using lamps for a heating source, because the kitten needs to have enough room to crawl away from it. If it's not perfectly right it's either too hot or too cold..so I either use an electric heating pad underneath half the box the kitten is in or stick with rice buddies and hot water bottles.

Is there any way you can take a picture of the kitten? It'd be easier to determine the age and if the eyes are supposed to be open or not. They can crawl with eyes closed, but they don't carry their bodies on their legs yet, big difference.
Old 08-24-2008, 02:27 PM

Yes!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dripping Bottle + Wrapped In Towel + Persistance = Success!!!!!!!

Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You Thank You
Old 08-24-2008, 02:29 PM

I can position the sidelamps outside the box, and only shining on half of the surface area. That way she can move to a lit spot or a cooler spot, and she can't come near the lights themselves or tip them over or anything. I'll get some of those water heating things too.

Edit: Pic coming just as soon as I fix up the box a little (add lights and a water heater) so you can also assess the environment.

2nd Edit: How often do I 'Poop' her?