Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Cats and Kittens

Cats and Kittens Talk about cats and kittens.

Old 08-25-2008, 05:52 PM

Default Abandoned Kitten Update!

Hello,

This is a sort of continuation of my "Baby Kitten..." thread in the Emergencies section. The little guy seems a lot stronger now, and isn't as scared of me as he was before. I am pretty sure he is a male cat, but not completely sure lol. He is really getting used to the bottle feeding and has become really easy to feed (not to mention adorable)! After his lemon juice bath he is a lot more pleasant to handle too lol.

While I was bathing him though, I saw a little bug crawling on him. I think it was an ant but it was washed away before I could tell for sure. All I've done to address this is taken everything out of the box and giving it a good shake. Anything else I can do?

I managed to fix my digital camera too so you can check out some better pictures.

The picture of the box shows a water heat bag thing (under the towel) in the top right corner, a rice heater in the bottom right corner. The kitten itself is underneath the warm side lamps. It's warm but not too warm. He seems pretty comfortable and relaxed (until I pick him up for feeding time, which is when he gets all grouchy lol).

Edit: Doesn't seem images uploaded... I think you can follow this link and check out all of the pictures:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/2986478...n/photostream/
Old 08-25-2008, 06:24 PM

Default Re: Abandoned Kitten Update!

OK I just fed him and stuff. Quick question, if I feed him every four hours, do I just kind of let him have as much as he wants or will they keep on eating so long as there is something in front of them? He stops and will refuse to have anymore after a certain point, but he is drinking lots more than he did when I first got him (he is a bit fatter too) so I am worried I am over feeding him..
Old 08-25-2008, 07:57 PM
Administrator

I fixed the pictures..you have to copy the direct picture location (right click on picture and view properties or image location), not the url it shows in the address bar.

You are doing an amazing job!!! It looks perfect to me!

Yes, there is a danger of overfeeding. Rule of thumb is that the kitten needs 7% of it's body weight per feeding, which translates into example:

Kitten weighs 100 grams, so you feed 7 cc (or ml, same thing) of formula each feeding.

Shouldn't be more, but less is ok. The belly should feel like a soft marshmallow.

Also watch out for milk coming out of the nose. Sometimes kittens get very excited (I think what you call grouchy is really excitement, because at the moment the kitten lives totally on survival instinct) and that can happen. Stop feeding for at least 5 minutes, if that happens, and encourage the kitten to sneeze it all out by padding the back and chest and holding the head down.

If formula remains in the lungs, pneumonia is waiting and that would be most likely fatal at that age.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 08-26-2008, 05:07 AM

What if I don't have a scale? Is it good enough if I do some googleing and find out average weight for it's age?
Old 08-26-2008, 08:30 AM
Administrator

No need to google. Your baby is about 120 - 150 grams .
Old 08-27-2008, 06:14 AM

Hello,

I'm afraid this is going to be my last update... I don't want to risk the baby's life by bringing him back with me to Canada (if I even can), and I don't want to get anymore attached to the little guy before I leave. So today I am going to take him to the Humane Center. I checked out the facility and the staff and they all seem like really great people and it's a really nice facility. They say they find all kittens homes after they turn about 3months old. Anyways, he is doing fine. Getting bigger and stronger each day. Eliminating a nice very slightly tainted liquid. The cutest thing is after I feed him, he is sort of kissing his way around looking for the bottle lol. Well, thanks a lot MissDolittle, you've certainly DoneAlot! WOW bad joke lol. I really couldn't have done this without you!

To end, here's is a nice (albeit crappy quality) picture I took of the little dude last night:

This totally sucks!!! I hate to see him go...
Old 08-27-2008, 10:10 AM
Administrator

Aaaaaaaaw, well I hope you come and visit when you are in Canada and run into an abandoned kitten over there, hehehe.

I know it's a tough decision to make, but you have such a heart and talent for this, if I were you and you have some time, go and see if the nearest animal shelter in Canada takes volunteers and/or fostercare parents. You could help a lot of animals this way.

The kitten isn't supposed to poop liquid though..have you seen mucus in it too or is it just runny? The color and consistency of the poo should be more like peanut butter or mustard. But that usually takes a while before they get adjusted to new formula.

Hehehe, I like the DoneAlot joke, ROFL!
Old 08-30-2008, 12:51 AM

You have a beautiful baby kitten and I am sure he will be adopted and taken care of very well. You did a very good thing.
Old 08-30-2008, 08:15 PM

Hello again! I was driving to the shelter a few days ago, and I felt really sad the whole way there. The great thing is though, when I got there, it was closed! I never went back lol... My flight to Canada turns out it's on the 6th, not the 3rd (which I thought it was), which means by that time she will be over two weeks old! Soooo... I am looking into ways of safely bringing her with me. If I can have her with me and not in cargo, that means I can feed her (through the cage), and then do the elimination when I land in France. Then I can do the same thing over the next flight to Canada (Jordan-France is only 4hours, and France-Canada is only about 7, so all in all I think it is a pretty safe bet). I can get vetrenary papers easily too. I already have another cat, Zara, waiting for me in Canada so this is my second one. Being a student, I don't know if a second one is such a great idea financially but it would break my heart to leave her here.

As for the pooping... She ALWAYS eliminates clear liquid. Only a few times have I seen her poop solids. Once it was dark, and came out looking like regular poop, and another time it was long and light brown (light brown happened twice). Maybe I should put more powder in the milk mix? Whats the problem?
Old 08-30-2008, 10:30 PM
Administrator

I wish you all the luck in the world so you can take the kitten with you, but it would really really surprise me if any airline would let you do it. I don't know what airline you are going to use, but here is a url with pet regulations for each and ever airline: http://www.pettravel.com/airline_rules.cfm
Most have a minimum age of 8 weeks to take on board.

I hate to sound this negative, but these are the sad facts.

As to the diarrhea, it can have a few reasons: formula too thin, formula too strong, wrong formula, lactose intolerance, internal parasites, feline leukemia and a bunch of other diseases, which is exactly why it is so hard to take an animal across country borders.

Anything solid is good, anything liquid is not. So I would try to make the formula a little bit stronger and see if that makes a difference. If nothing has changed after 3 feedings or got worse, try to make it thinner.

I hope you find a way to take her with you!!!