Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Cats and Kittens

Cats and Kittens Talk about cats and kittens.

Old 08-31-2008, 07:24 PM

Default Re: Abandoned Kitten Update!

I am going to Air France tomorrow to get some more information.

Does Yogurt help this type of diarrhea? Usually the mix I make always leaves a little residue on the sides of the bottle no matter how much I mix it, leading me to believe it is over saturated. Does solid residue collecting on the sides of the bottle mean too thick? I thought there was just one sort of 'type' of formula for baby kittens. This is the one the vet gave me, but he didn't seem too bright anyways. I thought the babycat milk doesnt have lactose in it in the first place. As for the parasites/diseases, theres nothing I can do about those until I get her to Canada because I know Jordan doesn't have that kind of expertise.

Thanks!
Old 08-31-2008, 09:21 PM
Administrator

Sometimes yogurt helps, it certainly can't hurt. It's normal that there is residue left, it's not a sign that it's too thick or too thin. There are different kinds of kitten formulas out there, different brands. Check the label and see if the formula contains Taurine. That's one of the most important ingredients that cats need. I'm not sure if cat milk has lactose, good point, have to check into that!

Good luck with everything. I cross my fingers and toes for you 2!!!!!!!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-01-2008, 07:46 PM

Hello again!

I went to Air France today, and the person wasn't very helpful. She had no idea what to do with animals on planes, so she quickly consulted her computer and basically read the rules on the screen. She did mention that I needed a vaccination certificate, which my cat can't get; but, I was able to get a vet paper saying she is too young for vaccination and is free of disease and is healthy. Tomorrow I am going back to Air France, and make sure that paper is enough, and go to the Canadian embassy in the hopes that they will provide me with information about bringing a cat into Canada that the Air France lady probably didn't know about.

I contacted the babycat milk distributor, and he told me one part powder, two parts water, which is pretty much what I was doing before. The vet said as long as she is growing and is moving around, diarrhea at her age isn't really a problem. That being said, I noticed he doesn't know anything about adding yogurt to the milk mix (he says it causes constipation!), and is generally a pretty useless vet. He said she doesn't need anything and is completely fine. I am going to get another vet tomorrow to look at the baby, and this other kitten i found with what appears to be a dislocated shoulder. Thank goodness my paycheck is coming in the next few days!
Old 09-01-2008, 07:53 PM
Administrator

Wow, that vet needs to be shut down or something...he sure is useless! But if he gave you that piece of paper stating the kitten is healthy in spite of the diarrhea, it might be working for you.

I keep crossing everything for you to get this straighten out!! Now you have another kitten with a dislocated shoulder? My oh my!!!
Old 09-01-2008, 09:15 PM

I adopted Salt and Pepper aroud the same age as your kitten, they had a bit of diarrhea, and it turned up to be coccidia, the poop looks like melted chocolate, wich is a parasite kittens get from the mother, they took antibiotics for a week or so and got trough until they were dewormed a few weeks later, and as for traveling I did some reasearch and they have to be 2 months old if they are traveling as cargo, in the cabin it changes from airline to airline, but maybe you can take it as long as you don't have to take it out of the carrier and it doesn't bother the other passengers. Good Luck, and I hope you can take that kitten with you.
Old 09-02-2008, 06:49 AM

Hello,

I am afraid I am back to square one. The "no need for vaccination" certificate might not be enough at the airports in Jordan and in Canada. The Air France office doesn't know, and the Canadian Embassy here is just as useless (this is what you get for living in Jordan lol, crappy services all around). Also, if they are going tobtake the certificate seriously, it will have to be stamped by various government ministries (at least 2). Usually in Jordan, any personal work that has to be done with the government takes weeks. Even if it is just a stamp. They are also, very useless. On top of that, If I do go to the Airport here, they might reject him because he isn't vaccinated, which means I will probably have to miss my flight, which is really not an option. In Canada, they might not let him in, or leave him in Quarantine. Considering I don't live in Toronto where the airport is, and school starts the day after I arrive, It won't be easy picking him up from Toronto when he's 'clean'. So, given the risks involved, I don't think I am going to try to bring him with me. You were right by the way, the formula was too light. I did the 1/3rd powder, and voila! I came back to a box covered in crap! In any other case the sight of a poop covered kitty would have dissapointed me, but I couldn't have been happier lol. He pooped what I think is the melted chocolate bar look once (light brown, long thin cylinder), but now it is darker and looks like regular poop I guess. I am still debating whether to send him away today or before I leave on the 5th... On the one hand, I want to keep him for as long as possible, on the other, I want to get rid of him now so I don't get anymore attached. Thanks a lot (really, a lot a lot) for all the help! When I get back to Canada and pick up my other cat Zara I'll take pictures of her and post them up. I'll let you know what happens with this other kitten I found as well...
Old 09-02-2008, 02:25 PM
Administrator

Pheew, that all sounds you had a heck of a lot of stress and running around there! Bless your heart for going all the way! At least you can't say you haven't given it your very best shot and then some!

I'm still hoping for a miracle or something though...
Old 09-04-2008, 11:23 AM

All will be well with your precious baby kitten. I hope you can stay together and he is very fortunate to have you take care of him. You are his lifesaver and if you arent together he will be adopted and loved for a very long life.
Old 09-04-2008, 01:42 PM

I'M DOING IT. OK I am pretty excited, but I shouldn't get my hopes up. Here is the plan. Go to airport an hour earlier than usual. If he passes Jordan, which is likely because all they want is money for the extra "passenger" and if he doesn't, my mother has agreed to take him to the shelter the next day. After Jordan, it's all smooth sailing. Why?

http://canadaonline.about.com/gi/dyn...Fpetse .shtml

"Domestic or pet cats less than three months of age can enter Canada for any period of time without vaccination, quarantine, or certification."

!!!!!!!!!
Yes!!!!
!!!!!!!!!

Wish me luck!
Old 09-04-2008, 01:50 PM
Administrator

OMG!!! This is more exciting than a Hollywood movie!!! Keep at it!