Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Raccoons

Raccoons Talk about raccoons.

Old 09-17-2008, 04:06 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Meet Chip!

I went "fishing" today and caught about dozen of those lil fish. I put one in Chip's waterbowl..OMG! It was not only his first fish, but mine as well for that matter, so it was quite a unique experience for me lol.

He's going out into the enclosure tomorrow. I have to do some shifting around and releasing 2 squirrels that are ready. I can make it work!

Oh ya, here's me fishing with my neon pink rubber boots ROOOOOOOFL:

Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-17-2008, 05:03 PM

It was great when I could put mine outside because as adorable as they are they are very messy. I didn't notice it much when I just had one but nine of them! I noticed.
Aren't they fun to watch go fishing? I loved to watch mine even when they were alot bigger. The way they catch the fish without hardly looking at the water is very interesting.
I like your bright pink boots. I have some just like those only they are brightly colored stripes.

You know you will have to give me some tips on how you keep the coons warm and such when you overwinter coons since I haven't overwintered any and it doesn't look like I will have any to overwinter this year either. I think my biggest concern is keeping their pond from freezeing cause that would be one mighty big ice cube to thaw .
Old 09-18-2008, 10:41 AM
Administrator

Thankfully I'm in Texas and those couple of cold nights we get we'd probably manage. If we get an ice storm or something like this, I don't know. Isn't their fur thick enough to not get cold? Would an insulated dog house with a bunch of blankets not do the job?

As to keeping the water from freezing...other than going out there and adding warm water every couple of hours, I wouldn't know either.

I could run a weather proof extension cord out to the enclosure (it's only like 6 feet from the house) and put a heater next to it, from the outside of course.

I guess we'll see when we get there lol. My next challenge is to turn up a wading pool! When I had the ducks I borrowed the only one from the shelter, because the day I went out to buy one, they had taken them off the shelves for the year, grrrrrrrrrrmmpf.

Now the shelter's pool is all chewed up by their dogs and useless, and all I have is this metal tub..but it's so deep, I am not sure if that's gonna work. It's actually Olliver's bath tub, but when I got the ducks..this was perfect. Do you think this would work if I put a rock or something in there he can climb in and out of?

He spent his first night outside. I kept going out every ten minutes to check on him LOL. I had 2 squirrels running loose in the enclosure as well, because for nothing in the world was I able to catch them to put them in a cage, so I figured if I can't catch them, Chip won't either, if he ever tries.

My only concern was that he might get stuck with his head in the squirrel house, but that didn't happen. They seem to be co-existing just fine for now.

The squirrels are ready in another week or 2 the most, then he has the enclosure all to himself. And the water isn't deep enough for a squirrel to drown in either.

I put some fish in his waterbowl this morning...aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw, hehe, he's such a hoot!
Old 09-20-2008, 10:42 PM
Administrator

I'm transferring Chip to another rehabber next week, somebody with other raccoons. This way he has buddies and I have more room for hurricane Ike's squirrels I'm going to pick up in 12 hours. I'm going to take 15 greys home with me, but I'm not looking forward driving 3 hours one way.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:27 AM

I'm glad you could find Chip some coonie friends so you could take more squirrels. I am sure he'll be happy .
Old 10-02-2008, 05:00 PM
Administrator

He is very happy, from what I am hearing. I can't wait for next year. Hopefully I can make up for that missed opportunity .