Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 08-29-2008, 04:52 AM

Default Baby Squirrel pneumonia? Antibiotics information

My baby has been sneezing for a few days, mostly today, and i've been listening for clicking every day. Tonight it sounds like this may be the case. I know he aspirated about five six days ago when I tried a different feeding siringe. He is still active and it may be a stuffy nose but im not sure. I think he is about six weeks old and he weights around 155 grams today (baby eastern grey). I have the pink liquid amoxicillin 250MG/5ML SUSP 150ML (250 mg per 5 ml). I will be without internet Saturday through Monday. I need to know if I should give him antibiotics and what dose before hand. Other than the sneezing and the breathing he is acting normal (he even started wrestling a couple of days ago. Oh, and he sounds a bit gassy when I put my ear to him to hear his breathing. He is eating Esbilac, and tried green beans today. Should I start him on what dose? If you don't think this warrants antibiotics as of yet under what circumstances should I start?
I apologize for the long list. I am totally devoted to this poor baby and ive been terrified something will happen to him. From all the info ive looked up it gives the impression aspiration=pnemonia=death sentence in many cases. At his age I should have more hope right? Help please.
Also, I live in Western Washington and was not able to find a rehabber that would take him so I decided to do it myself. The eastern greys have not been introduced in this area outside of the puget sound, therefore, he can not leave the sound.

The worried surrogate mother.
Old 08-29-2008, 11:49 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Baby Squirrel pneumonia? Antibiotics information

Well, bless your heart! Sounds like you are doing all the right things!

I strongly suggest to give her the Amox. I use 0.2 cc (or ml, same thing) twice a day for a week.

Hopefully you caught it early enough. Keep us updated!!!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 08-29-2008, 02:21 PM

Like with people should I give him yogurt to restore good bacteria? Or should I just do this once the antibiotics course is done? He wouldn't take the amox at first, but I dipped the eyedropper in formula and he took it. Then he got fussy that I didn't feed him immediately.
Thank you
Old 08-29-2008, 02:37 PM
Administrator

Since Amox can upset the tummy, I definitely would use a little yogurt, maybe add a pinch to the formula. You can safely use flavored yogurt. Mine love the vanilla flavored ones the most or strawberry!
Old 08-29-2008, 09:01 PM
Administrator

I think .2 ccs is WAY too much amoxicillin for this little guy. I just looked up the dose in my mammal babies book because I remember when my opossum was on it, he only got .02 ccs. It says a 125 gram baby should only get .05 ccs and a 250 grams should get .1 ccs so, if he is 150 he should get about .06ccs twice a day. That is for the 50mg/mL strength (that is what yours is if it is 250mg/5mL. I think the liquid is only good for 2 weeks after it is mixed too. Good luck with your little one, I am glad you are giving him a chance.
Old 08-29-2008, 09:31 PM
Administrator

Eeeh I did say 0.2, not 2 cc which to me is the same you say is .02 cc. I take a 1 cc syringe and the bottom of it is hardly covered. I never learn these measurements. Thanks for correcting that! Even though it still makes no better sense to me LOL.

Last edited by MissDolittle : 08-29-2008 at 09:34 PM. Reason: on second thought...
Old 09-22-2008, 10:53 PM

Hope your baby is ok. I recently had to self diagnose and prescribe due to my lack of a "backdoor" vet or available rehabber so I know how scary it is.
I used Cipro in my little guy's case. I only had the pill form so twice a day (for a week), I shaved off a little, mixed it with a bit of his formula and coerced him to drink it by following with his favorite strawberry yogurt/baby banana mixture.
I used a little less than one pill for the entire week, had to hope I was getting the close to the correct dosage, and pray I wasn't doing more harm than good.
With his strong will to live, my almost inept doctoring skills, and many prayers from Miss Doolittle and me, he is now close to 8 weeks old and happy, healthy, and trying to rush his release date.
Dunno if this helps at all but I hope you are as blessed with your baby.
Old 09-23-2008, 04:10 PM
Administrator

That's great news!!!!!
Old 04-22-2009, 09:18 PM

This is a very old post, but I have to comment here.

Decimal points can mean the difference between life and death.

0.02 mL is like you said, barely covering the bottom of a tuberculin syringe.
0.2 mL is 2 spots up on the tuberculin syringe
2.0 mL would be 2 tuberculin syringes full.

250 mg / 5 mL is very difficult to administer in such small volumes. I'd suggest further diluting it with water. The liquid portion of the suspension is just water, as long as you ensure your new formulation is well mixed, it is not going to hurt it.

Just take 1 mL of your full strength suspension (total dose, 50 mg), add 1 and 1/2 mL of water to it. Now you have 2 1/2 mL of liquid at a dose of 20 mg/mL. 5 mg of amoxicillin is now MUCH easier to give, 0.25 mL. You shouldn't reuse the mixed liquid though, just discard of it. Amoxicillin is cheap.

Again, my experience is not with squirrels. I am a veterinary assistant and have raised quite a few neonate puppies and kittens.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:19 AM
Administrator

Thanks for the clarification!

I have to disagree with the price of the Amoxicillin, because I pay over $20 for the infant Amoxil at my vet's, and that's unfortunately the only place I can get it. I'd wish antibiotics like this would be available without prescription. Same goes for the Clavamox.