Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Dogs and Puppies

Dogs and Puppies Chat about Dogs and Puppies

Old 08-31-2008, 06:12 PM
Administrator

Default Horror Sunday (warning, gross, but have to vent!)

Unbelievable what happened today.

It started out with my neighbor coming home from church and running over a kitten with her car (a stray). I cleaned it up for her and disposed of the dead body at the shelter. They have a disposal place I can use even when they are closed.

Before that I was happy to have been able to find homes for 2 of the dogs I have up on petfinder for the shelter, so I thought the Sunday started out pretty good.

But after the cat incident, my neighbor comes over and tells me that another neighbor's puppies are dead, or at least some of them, the others were in the process of dying. I went over there, and sure enough, dead dogs everywhere.

The owners had moved away and left the house to their 16 or 17 year old kid. We had fed the 8 puppies (3 months old) plus mom, who's a pitbull. That's why we never called Animal Control on them, because we knew that pitbulls will be euthanized at the shelter, no matter what. It's their policy.

So we kept feeding the dogs and deworming them and thought they were healthy looking fat pups. 3 days ago one was dead and we thought the mother had killed it, because they are weaned now and won't leave her alone and she had no place to get away.

So the teenager that lived there put the mom, Daisy, into another pen finally and this morning, the pups started to drop dead one after the other, foaming at the mouth.

So I called the cops. I knew Animal Control wasn't on today, but this had to be addressed ASAP. 4 puppies barely alive and suffering, the others were already bloating and crawling with ants and maggots. The one that had died 2 days prior was half dug up and about to explode.

So you can imagine that smell.

Anyways, so I called the cops and the dispatcher refused to even talk to a cop, just told me she can leave Animal Control a note, he'll be back on Wednesday. My jaw dropped!

I tried to tell her that cruelty to animals is a felony and a "note to the ACO" isn't going to cut it, nor is the smell going to go away from that, nor are the suffering dogs helped.

Nope, she wasn't gonna budge. Well, I figured, wrong address...have it your way. I hung up, alarmed my neighbors and they called too. Of course then she couldn't ignore it anymore and finally contacted a Sergeant about it.

He came out and talked to us and was horrified when we saw that yard.
I took pictures, but I'm not going to post them here, you have to click on the link if you can and want to see them:

http://www.amazes.us/pics/maxwell/index.ttml

The cop was very nice and tried to figure out what to do. He tried to reach our ACO without luck. I offered my help, since I am vaccinated against rabies and know how to handle this, so he ended up talking to a Vet to make sure we are not dealing with rabies (which we didn't, it's Parvo), and then, under his supervision and authority, I cleaned up the carcasses and took them to the disposal at the shelter.

That still leaves 4 puppies and the mother, who has the onset of mange on top of everything. As soon as the next puppy dies, we are asked to freeze it if we can (my neighbor can) and take it the shelter in the morning to have a piece of the brain sent in for rabies testing, just in case.

Now here is what I don't get...isn't depriving an animal of veterinary care when it's suffering a felony or what? Why haven't I been able to at least get these dogs euthanized to end that suffering. It's horrible!

I have to go read the ordinances again...anyways, thanks for letting me vent.

Kudos to the Sergeant though, he was working on this all day and called me every hour to let me know about the progress, or lack thereof.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-01-2008, 01:46 PM

Default Re: Horror Sunday (warning, gross, but have to vent!)

Those poor dogs... I can't believe that woman refused to help you! I really hope something can be done about that yard! Crappy morning turned into an even crappier day.
Old 09-01-2008, 04:02 PM
Administrator

You can say that again. 3 more pups died over night, one was barely alive this morning. We took them all to the shelter and they are pretty certain that it's not parvo but hookworms! I de-wormed them 2 weeks ago..I saw roundworms crawling out of them after they died too. So much for the over the counter de-wormers.

Mom is still there, with the onset of mange. I'm waiting for her to get out of the yard, so I can capture and take her to the shelter. Seizing her from a private property is so complicated, but she got out every day so far..so I'm waiting.
Old 09-01-2008, 05:04 PM
Administrator

90.20 GENERAL CARE.
No owner will fail to provide an animal in his/her care with sufficient good and wholesome food or water, adequate shelter and protection from weather, veterinary care when needed to prevent suffering and humane care and treatment. Shelter shall be of sufficient size to allow each animal to stand up, lie down and turn around in a natural position and must have three sides, a roof and a floor.
(`75 Code, 3-21) (Ord. 1997-8, passed 7-1-98; Am. Ord. 1998-24, passed 11-17-9 Penalty, see 10.99

90.22 ABANDONMENT.
In this section, "abandon" means to leave an animal in any place without providing reasonable and necessary care for the animal, under circumstances under which no reasonable, similarly situated person would leave an animal. Reasonable and necessary care means shelter, food, and water.
A person commits an offense if, having custody, care, or control of an animal, he intentionally abandons the animal in any place under circumstances that expose the animal to an unreasonable risk of harm.
An offense under this section is a Class C misdemeanor.
Old 09-01-2008, 11:16 PM
Administrator

What a crappy day sis, sorry you had to go through all of that. Those poor dogs, I certainly hope you can get the mother the next time she escapes, sounds like it might be the best thing for her.
Old 09-03-2008, 09:00 PM
Administrator

So, today I got the final decision. Animal Control is doing NOTHING about this. Once the rabies wasn't a concern anymore, the entire situation was shrugged off and laws are NOT being enforced.

The mother dog is still suffering and dying a slow death. If that is not animal cruelty, I don't know what is. But it's not good enough to bother here. I don't know what to do.

I will record the dog's progress in pictures, or I will try to. I don't think she's going to be fed at all, and with the mange and all sorts of internal parasites and this heat, she is not going to last long.

If I am forced to watch this happening in front of my own eyes, I'm going to make sure that a LOT of eyes are going to watch this with me.

Remember that dog in that art gallery everybody made such a fuss about? This is no different here, except it's across the street.
Old 09-04-2008, 07:03 AM

I don't understand why nobody is doing anything except you?
Old 09-04-2008, 08:36 AM
Administrator

Same reason why I am the only rehabber here I guess. Nobody cares enough to bother. This property is at the very end of a dead end street, hardly anybody sees it, but even if, I doubt anybody would say a thing. It's so normal here. But this city is growing fast, hopefully the police force, especially animal control officers, will grow with it. I won't rest til they do.
Old 09-06-2008, 12:29 AM

This is absolutely awful. One of the saddest things I've ever seen. I'm glad you're doing what you can about it.
Old 09-06-2008, 10:02 AM
Administrator

Thanks. I'd wish I could do more. It just bites me that these people can get away with this for years now, treating animals like this, but I have to pay 155 dollar fine because I had a pink squirrel without a permit. These laws make no sense to me anymore and I'm seriously losing my faith in them.