Old 09-09-2008, 07:58 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Help!

WHOOHOOOO!!!!!! Give Mister JohnJohn an extra pecan from me >
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-13-2008, 09:04 PM

Will do Sweetie!
Funny how spoiled one little male squirrel can be (or maybe I was used to the others I've had, all female). Although he's just now adding solid food to his diet, he's pretty sure that he's tough enough to be released. He's had to be satisfied with running around my bedroom (since his cage (3' x 3') is too small for his liking. Of course, he doesn't mind if I want to sit and let him crawl all over me for hours instead.
Have tried to explain the facts of the inevitable "living in the wild" thing but, like my 17 year old, he's sure he can handle all of it NOW!
Guess we'll be moving up to the big cage sooner than anticipated...
Helenmary
Old 09-14-2008, 09:51 AM
Administrator

Hahaha, you have such a great way of putting things, you should write short stories! Start with stories about squirrels growing up, like a Marmaduke in words hehe.
Old 09-28-2008, 08:57 PM

Been awhile so I thought I'd update. JohnJohn is, uh, well, downright squirrelly. My sock drawer is his new bed when he's not outside in the bigger cage. I've had to rethink his release point since he tends to want to be around people more than I like so instead of school, I'll probably release him on the front of our property (9 acres) which includes a walnut tree and a hickory tree. He's still pushing for an early parole but I explained that finding formula (thickened with rice cereal in a bowl) in the wild might be a bit of a stretch. Needless to say, he really didn't care for my attitude.
All is well. Thank you again. I just reread this thread and can't believe he's the same squirrel I was so worried about over Labor Day!! I couldn't have done it without you!
Old 09-29-2008, 08:28 AM
Administrator

WHOOHOO! You and JohnJohn have come a looong way! You rock!
Old 10-09-2008, 11:08 PM

Miss Doolittle,
Thanks so much for putting up with my rantings and ravings elsewhere on the squirrel forum. I'm no expert; I just want to help if I can.
Also wanted to give you a JohnJohn update.
Today was his first day out in the "wild" (the 100 feet behind school). No kids today (parent-teacher conferences) so I got to stay close and watch (I only had 6 conf. from 2-8 p.m.)
He had the time of his life for the first 5 hours but had no desire to worry about where he might spend the night (He knew he was supposed to be doing something; he just couldn't figure out that it was building a nest.)
And then it got dark. I retrieved him from his box in the big cage (at least it was the big one) because he jumped in my shirt the minute I went to check on him. (And no, it wasn't cold...)
I brought him home, mixed up some mixed grain cereal and formula, and watched as he ate every bit. (He'd been weaning himself for the last 5 days.)
Last I checked, he was snuggled up in my sock drawer, looking like a very happy, worn out, contented MALE squirrel.
Little booger. I think he's been watching my husband and son too much.
We'll give it another go tomorrow...
Old 10-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Administrator

I LOVE your rantings! Reminds me a lil bit of Erma Bombeck (that's a compliment!) lol.

JohnJohn had the day of his life so far, wow! When I release squirrels around the area, I always hang up a nestbox with them (which they never use after the first night) with something in it from "home" and some nuts.

If I just let them move out from here, they keep coming back for weeks, which is not good with the dogs and cats around here, so I try not to release them right by the house. But sometimes I can't catch them inside the enclosure anymore and they get too stressed out if I chase them with a net or trap them, so I let them out here.

They all go up to the same spot...big woodpecker hole in a dead tree above the enclosure. No building nests, just moving into existing spots. That is just my personal observation, for whatever it's worth .

Good luck with him, you certainly are doing a wonderful job!
Old 10-11-2008, 01:24 AM

Thanks Sweetie, your compliments mean a lot!!!
Yeah, I noticed the squirrel boxes that I've agonized over are pretty much unappreciated after the first night too.
JohnJohn has his small cage, left open w food and water, his big cage, similarily outfitted and including, on the top level, a large box (two openings, stuffed with same Tshirts from two days ago) and all the comforts of a Holiday Inn. (Well, Motel 6 at least.)
The way it's set up, I may end up "camping out" with a few friends tomorrow night and see how he does. The weather here is absolutely fantastic for both camping and releasing. And it sounds like a good reason for a party...
Geez, I love fall break!
Thanks again!
Helenmary
Old 10-11-2008, 09:16 AM
Administrator

You come up with ideas...a release party, hehehe, I LOVE IT!!! I'd really wish I had somebody like you close by with whom I could share these precious moments of release.

Most of the times I have to find a ride and the drivers aren't up to searching around for suitable places and rush me all the time, or I have to give the animal to somebody to take to their ranch out in the country and I don't get to see them go free at all.

It's like doing all the work and never get "paid". Hopefully that changes soon . I'm sure JohnJohn is going to do juuuuuuuuust fine .
Old 10-13-2008, 03:03 AM

Oh Sweetie< how hard (and terrible) for you. Seeing them happy where they belong is right up there with holding them all night to maintain their body warmth, just in a different way. Sad for us, sweet for them, and the way it's supposed to be. Wish you had more time to watch...
It's absolutely precious!