Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Cats and Kittens

Cats and Kittens Talk about cats and kittens.

Old 09-09-2008, 02:53 PM

Default feeding

We are ready to feed our little one food but want the best kind for him. What is the best kind of canned kitten food?
Old 09-09-2008, 03:04 PM
Administrator

Default Re: feeding

The best canned kitten food is no canned kitten food. Stick with the dry Purina Kitten Chow. Soak it in water if you think the kitten needs to eat soft stuff, but do not use canned food. It has a) hardly any nutrition and will b) make the poo stink so bad, you'd wish you'd live on another planet lol.

My kittens get a bowl of dry Purina Kitten Chow (which is the only kitten chow on the market with 40% crude protein, at least that I found) and a bowl of water at the age of 2 1/2 - 3 weeks. I leave it with them until they start eating it eventually. It might just sit there for a week totally unnoticed.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-09-2008, 06:51 PM

Miss Dolittle,
About feeding kittens-I have a question please.
We have been feeding our kittens the dry kitten chow and each day the four of them share a daily can of salmon with 2 of the big cats. They seem to really like the salmon and are all very healthy.
Is the salmon okay for them?

Thankyou.

Nadine
Old 09-09-2008, 07:47 PM
Administrator

As a treat in addition to the dry food, I don't see anything wrong with that at all. Unless you see diarrhea or it's the canned salmon for humans with a lot salt, preservatives and oil, then I would advice against it.
Old 09-09-2008, 08:37 PM

The kittens and cats don't seem to be having any tummy problems from the salmon. I did check the label- no preservatives or oil but the ingredient label says "salt". I'll start rinsing the canned salmon in a strainer with filtered water before I feed it to them and also look for a no-salt-added product (if such a thing exists?).
Old 09-10-2008, 01:15 PM
Administrator

So it's canned food that's made for humans then? I thought you meant canned kitten food. I wouldn't even consider giving them that stuff. Fresh, raw and untreated fish yes, canned food for kittens, yes, but not out of a can for humans .

I stick to the rule that human food is for humans and kittenfood for kittens and dogfood for dogs, even though I do make exceptions if it's raw and fresh.

But that's just me. I don't know for sure if the canned salmon is harmful or not, so I simply won't take that risk.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 PM

One of our cats absolutely loves canned tuna (people food tuna) and she never had any problems eating it. Of course she didn't eat it all the time just as an occasional treat.
We feed our cats canned kitty food as a treat about 1-2 times a week. We have used the canned food to entice them to eat if they are not feeling well. There are many good uses and although there is alot of water that isn't neccesarily a bad thing depending on the situation. The biggest thing for me is not just feeding the canned primarily, because of the water content it is lacking in Fiber which is important. Our kitties get dry food as their primary diet with the canned as supplements.
We haven't noticed any of ours smelling worse while eating canned food but then maybe it's because they don't just eat it. Although I have fed kittens just on it and they didn't smell too bad. I think it depends on the cat.
Oh, well just my two cents worth.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:40 PM
Administrator

That sounds perfectly alright, Fluffytail. I was only talking about kittens that are just starting to eat solids. If I start them on canned food, you can't even walk into the room after they used the litter box!! And they more often than not get diarrhea from it. Then I compare the labels from the dry and the canned food and just don't bother.

But as treats for adults or as you say, to stimulate the sick ones to eat better, absolutely. Or to get a stray to walk into a trap as I did a bit earlier today..caught me a pregnant one too.
Old 09-12-2008, 11:13 PM

We introduced our kitten to canned kitten food. He hates it, How can we get him to eat it? should we try another kind, could it be the brand of food?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:46 AM
Administrator

Why, after all you read, would you want to force canned kitten food on your kitten? I really don't understand it.