Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Raccoons

Raccoons Talk about raccoons.

Old 09-10-2008, 09:18 PM
Administrator

Default Roxy

Roxy is full grown and was raised as a pet. She's totally tame. Suggestions welcome!

Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-10-2008, 10:01 PM

Default Re: Roxy

How old is Roxy? Does she let you handle her such as picking her up, petting her, does she run to you, try to climb you or such?If she is an adult you will have a hard time wilding her out to the point where it would be safe to release her though. She so unafraid of humans that she could probably never be trusted to completely be afraid of them.
My first coon was a 4 month old that had been raised as a pet. He wilded out just fine when I put a couple other more wild coons with him, but he was still just a baby.
If she used to living inside or out? Does she behave like a normal coon, does she have any of the typical wild behaviors?
She looks to be a total sweetheart.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:09 PM
Administrator

I can't answer all of that yet, cuz I juuuuust got her. All I know is that she's 4 - 5 months old. She is in the outside enclosure, used to be outside. The squirrels are out there too, but inside of a cage which is inside of the enclosure.

I put a doggy house out there for her with blankies and a water and dog food for the night.

I have not introduced Chip to her yet, will see how she reacts once she gets used to the environment..don't want to spook her by overwhelming her.
Old 09-10-2008, 10:21 PM

If she if 4-5 months old then there is nothing to worry about. In my experience she should wild out just fine. And if she is used to being outside that helps too
If she is used to alot of human interaction I would suggest slowly weaning her off of it.
Chip may be a little young to be with her especially if she has never been around other raccoons. She needs a coon that is big enough to defend itself from her should she get upset with it. Imagine a dog that has never been socialized with other dogs, they may be afraid of a dog and react aggresively. I have never seen coons really do battle over it but they sure make bad noises at each other and my pet raised boy(Shadow) ran away and would try to bite the other coons if they came near. THey were all his size and were well socialed with other coons and so they quickly taught him how to act like a coon and not a pet( power of the pack if you will by ignoring the behavior or talking back if they felt it necesary.He was successfully released last fall.It might also scare Chip and that wouldn't be good, he is still a baby that would have a mommy to protect him. Do you know of any other rehabbers that have coons that would let you have one Roxy's age?
Oh, at only 4-5 months old Roxy still has a bit of growing to do. She is still just a baby.
Keep us posted!
Old 09-10-2008, 10:31 PM
Administrator

Everything is just a baby to you LOOOL. Roxy is bigger than my dog for crying out loud, and I don't mean Doogle, I mean Sandy. Hehehehee.

I think I'm going to have me some experience before I go look for other places for them...I have to start learning somewhere too, you know. And you are my best resource!!!

But the thought did occur to me and I probably will put my feelers out for other rehabbers in the metroplex maybe. It's a 2 hour drive one way and I really can't afford it, but we'll figure something out.

Tell me more about the fishing thing please? I had asked in another thread, but it went under...what kind of fish do you use, and what age do you start with it and how often, how much?
Old 09-11-2008, 06:53 AM

Aww she is beautiful! Pet eh? Was she spayed by chance?

I only ask because it is a theory of mine that if they are spayed/neutered they won't have the "aggression" when they get to about 2 years old.
Old 09-11-2008, 08:43 PM

Ok maybe in size she is young adult . My coons were between 6-7 months old and they were all about the 10 pound mark some a little more. They were only about half grown for a coon though.
I start them fishing at around 7-8 weeks. When they are first starting I gave them a small cat litter box (clean of course with just about an inch of water in it. as they grew of course I increased the water depth. By the age of three months they had graduated to a kiddie wading pool totally full of water.
I buy mine, minnows from the bait shop. When they are first learning I get the small fish about 1 inch or so long and by the time they are in the wading pool they get the 3-4 inch long fish.
I have the same theory Michael. If I ever have a nonreleasable coon I definantly will try having them nuetered/spayed. I have read in alot of places also that it does work to avoid the aggression.
Old 09-11-2008, 10:29 PM
Administrator

Thanks! Unfortunately there are no bait shops around here and we only have one pet store in town which I have to avoid if ever possible. I have a hard time not going nuts in there with all the exotics in cages and all.

I'll see if I can catch some of those little fish out of the river with a net tomorrow. Ya think that would work?

Roxy hasn't come out of that dog house at all today. She didn't eat either. I tried to coax her out once, she hissed at me, which is good I suppose, but also a bit worrisome. I hope she comes around!
Old 09-12-2008, 10:23 AM
Administrator

This morning there was a huge mess at the enclosure and most of the food was missing, so she did come out over night and ate well. That's good news!!

I'll probably have to take the poor thing inside later today when hurricane Ike is going to hit...we're supposed to get a good hit and soaking. I have a foldaway dog kennel that's fairly large. I can put a smaller crate inside for hiding and sleeping..it'll have to do for a night and probably 1 day.

I'm going to put it next to Chip's cage, maybe they hit it off that way .
Old 09-13-2008, 04:49 PM

If you can catch fish yourself that would sure be cheaper! I don't have any place to do it or I would.
Coons mostly eat in the evening or nighttime. I always fed my older coons in the evening. I wouldn't worry if she doesn't come out in the day as they usually sleep all day, but on the other hand there isn't usually anything to be concerned about it they are out during the day either.