Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Raccoons

Raccoons Talk about raccoons.

Old 09-13-2008, 06:10 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Roxy

I tell you what, if I wouldn't know better, I'd say she's a perfectly wild raccoon! She hisses at everybody and everything, I can't even go into the enclosure anymore. From what I know she did live outside where she was at, but was using the doggy door to go in and out of the house. Most of the time she was outside, so I suppose she can catch fish and all that, cuz I find all the food in the water in the morning.

I really don't see what I can do for that animal..she is not happy in that enclosure and I'm seriously considering releasing her. There's a great place at a lake here, miles away from any people and civilation...I think I'm going to take her out there tomorrow later afternoon. What do you think?

I sure could use my enclosure back too!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-13-2008, 08:57 PM

Sounds like a plan, but can you take her somewhere and view her in the wild first?
Old 09-13-2008, 09:18 PM
Administrator

I don't see how that would work. She runs from me hissing and growling. I will have to use a live trap to even get her out of the enclosure because I doubt she'll let me pick her up and put her in a crate.

So I assume that once that door is open and she's out, that she's gonna take off without looking back.

All I know is that that enclosure is not doing her any good. She needs to be roaming free.
Old 09-13-2008, 09:21 PM

Yeah I think you're right, but I was hopeful that there might be some way.

I think all you can do is release her, and maybe try to follow for a bit watching how she does?
Old 09-14-2008, 08:13 PM

I don't know if you have already released her yet but here is something to consider. The only reason you have her in that enclosure is not to make sure she is afraid of humans. One of the biggest reasons she is even with you is to be sure that she has the skills that a coon needs to live in the wild. Can she catch/find her own food. Can she climb well?
The fact that she runs from you hissing and growling is very good but not a reason in itself for release.Actually it would be better if she simply ran away as the growling and hissing is actually challenging you and not just running an hiding. She feels comfortable enough with humans right now to be swearing at you for entering her space. She should just ran and hide and only growl/hiss if you really push her such as continuing to go toward her or touch her and she cannot get away from you. I have had two very wild coons, 3 months old and not human contact until I got them and they would make alot of noise if I had to catch them to say worm them but other wise they ran up high in their enclosure and didn't make a noise. What do you think she will do in the forest if someone walks through to close? What if she makes all that noise and scares them? The chance for her being mistaken as being sick and dangerous is greatly increased. You said you cannot go into the enclosure anymore, is that because she tries to come after you or because she growl/hisses at you?
The enclosure could be doing her alot of good, even if she doesn't really like it. Just remember the criteria for release include several things, including health, ability to catch food, and being wilded out. Until you know all those things you could be doing a creature more harm than good to be released. If they cannot catch their food well their chance for survival is slim, and winter is coming.
If you haven't released her please reconsider before you do! She was raised as a pet she wouldn't be ready for release in a few days!
Old 09-14-2008, 09:41 PM
Administrator

Thanks for the rundown on the behavior and release criteria.

The hissing and growling was only the first day when she was brand new and had no idea what was going on and felt cornered too. She was hiding in the dog house under the mat each time somebody approached the enclosure.

Anyways, today my phone and email went crazy with messages from Ike-hit Houston and people having found baby squirrels. Most of them have no power and no where to go to get Esbilac, so we were working with limited resources on individual basis. That was a tough one. So many nice people!

To make a long story short, I ended up talking to a rehabber in the metroplex (Dallas/Forth Worth) and she had a lone female raccoon too of 5 months, just about ready to go, but felt that she should be more socialized. When she heard about Roxy she came down here and got her! So I'm off the hook .

She didn't want Chip, because he's too young to put with the 2 girls, and I was glad in a way, because I did get quite attached to that lil bugger and want to watch him grow and get wild!