Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 09-14-2008, 02:24 PM

Exclamation MY experience!!

before reading this post let me tell you i m an indian! (asian indian)
6 days back i found a baby squirrel of hardly 4 days. he was very pink and healthy. perhaps his mom was trying to take him somewhere but he fell from her mouth, or he just fell off from his nest. indian squirrels are a bit smaller than other squirrels i suppose.(not sure, just estimating by seeing pics)
i saw 2 dogs approaching him, i took stone and hit those dogs. as they ran away i took him in my hands. realizing he is property of his mom, i put him down, went to a dark corner(as it was night time) and wated for sometime. he kept wriggling on the sand but no one came. i felt pity and i took him home.
i named him Changu!
he is very playfull. at first i casually fed him cold milk from refigerator, not knowing he shouldnt be given that.
next day i thought of surfing net and found out that he shouldnt be given cow's milk first of all!! secondly i found out he needs just ESBILAC to be fed!! ( now please note all of you :: its not necessary that he only needs ESBILAC i dont know what esbilac is, just read on net that it contails nearly all constituents of squirrel mother's milk. but i live in india and here we dont have esbilac. i thought this was his end! because all i had was COW'S milk and all the websites said NO! strictly to cow's milk.
now the thing is use your brains. WE are humans. WE have got logic.
cow's milk is believed to be best in calcium and other minerals. also it contains protien and solid constituents. it has lactose which is the only reason why they say NO to cow;s milk.
theres a way to kill lactose. boil milk in 100 - 120 degree CELCIUS. creamy layer will be formed on the upper edge of milk. remove that cream you can eat it. but never feed that to squirrels. after that you can give them this milk (luke warm)
but please ensure that its not packed milk. it should be pure cow's milk. not any kind of cow's milk.
i got this challenge solved. i fed him cow's milk daily. every 2 hours. between those 2 hours i fed him 4-5 drops of water or pedialyte too.
i kept him in a warm place. i made a hideout for him. a large shoe box, 2 plastic or glass bottle. (make sure plastic is not too thin, or it will melt. so glass is always better). fill those bottles with warm water. (not boiled) wrapp those bottles to a peice of cloth so that you can only feel mild warmth. place it in two corners of that shoe box. and covered that box with another cloth. to keep that place dark. (they like dark places like batman).
after every feeding i took a peice of cotton. rolled it to make it like a thick thread. dip it in warm water, soak it and tickle his penis(if she is female then use your brains where to tickle) after a few strokes, he applied force for peeing,(this force can be felt if you are holding him by his belly.its like heart beat) .Drop by drop he started peeing. and sometimes pooing too. i used to clean his privates. then kiss him play with him for 2-3 minutes. sometimes take a soft cotton ball and tickle him all over his body he will start running here and there. that would be his exercise and would be helpfull in digesting milk.
after that i would hold him firmly but gently and then apply olive oil ( if you dont have or cant afford olive oil, you can use coconut or baby oil. dont use cooking oil as they can cause irritation) and massage that oil all over his body. this helped him to grow his muscles stronger and smoothen his skin. also this would prevent dryness in his skin. and its helpfull to keep his body absorb warmth inside his hideout. ( squirrels should always be warm ). then i kept him in his hide out he would find a nice dark corner and go for sound sleep. i allow him to sleep for 2 or 3 long hours. never disturb him in his sleep.
(this helps him to grow up and develop nice brains.)
to be contd....
Old 09-14-2008, 03:03 PM
Administrator

Default Re: MY experience!!

Welcome on board!! And thanks for the lengthy introduction!

Since we are already emailing, I know most of the story and know what a good job you are doing with the limited resources you have got.

I would be careful with rubbing oil all over his body, it can clog the pores and can do more harm than good. Especially if he licks it off. Just a thought, I'm not so sure about it, just logical thinking.

Keep up the good work and give Changu a kissie from me!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-15-2008, 11:33 AM

Exclamation MY experience!! -- some ups and downs...

it is said that according to aerodynamic theory a bumble bee cannot fly. but still he flies and can stall himself in mid air.. wow.. thats only because he doesnt know about his limitations.
changu was so cold on the second day, as i didnt know he should be kept in warm place. according to some doctors he should have died. i say when miracle is on the head of someone, he cannot be harmed.
always keep baby squirrel in a warm and DARK place. it seems light hurt their eyes (though they are closed ). if you dont have heating pad, place a warm water filled bottle into their bed(wrap it with a cotton cloth first). the temperature inside his bed should be luke warm. i mean it should be tolerable to skin.be carefull while placing the bottles. wrap them in such a way that they dont roll.please pay UTMOST CAUTION. if bottle rolls it can hurt the squirrel in fatal way!!
.................................................. .................................................. ....
it had been 24 hours since changu had come to our place. i was surfing more and more about squirrels. and got one and only one information " do not feed him cow's milk" "esbilac" "ESBILAC" "keep them warm" "donot let the fluid enter his nose" blah blah blah.
i needed some health instructions. what if changu was ill?? what if he had any internel problem?? many such questions were revolving around my mind. untill then i found an article, which asked me to check his belly. is it tight?? remember, there is huge difference between tight and round!! his belly should be round as if he has taken adequate food. but if its tight he is having gas problem!! damn what to do??!!
1) never feed him untill his gas problem is solved.
2) dont press his stomach, thinking he would poo off his gas if pressure is applied on it.
3) get bowl fill it wil luke warm water.hold him gently but firmly.(REMEMBER :: he should not slip off from your hands while you are holding him for anything!! may it be feeding, peeing pooing, treating him, or playing with him. if he gets hard hit on his head he would have mental trauma. he would forget your scent. he would feel insecure with you which is really not good. because if he doesnt feel secure, he wont eat sufficiently.)
4) dip only his belly.ONLY BELLY!! into the water wait for 5 seconds and take him out. if he struggles, give him time to settle down in your hands.
5) always hold him in upright position.l(like we humans stand... on 2 rear paws)
6) do this exercise 3-4 times. with LUKE WARM WATER ONLY. after sometime the bloat on his belly should vanish!

.................................................. .................................................. ....
changu was very playful next day, but was growing weak. his health was failing. i fed him veg boiled water, sweet corn boiled water. (these can be fed but they are not at all sufficient for nutrition in any ways). i surfed the net for mail ids of REHABBERS. i came to know, not many rehabbers love their job. i mailed 6 rehabbers at a time and only ONE!! only ONE answered. she was Ms Heather Parsons.(australian rehabber). She is specialized in birds. though she knew much about squirrels but all her knowledge she gave from her bird care taking experience. God bless her she helped me alot!! indeed. she gave me all tips like keeping hands clean, what shall be used for feeding.. which instruments should be used for feeding. she suggested me to add water in cow's milk and then feed him! i did that and it worked. changu loved milk diluted with water. (( cow's milk is thick. and it contains LACTOSE which harms their intestine. LACTOSE as i said earlier in my previous post can be removed by scalding the milk))
since then i fed him only cow's milk.
to be contd...
Old 09-15-2008, 04:41 PM
Administrator

Default Re: MY experience!! -- some ups and downs...

That is a very good tip with the belly in warm water. But it's ok to leave him standing in there for a few minutes and rub his belly. If you put him into the water and out every few seconds, he will get cold because temperature change is too drastic too fast.

I have to say that my feelings got a little hurt when you said that Heather was the only rehabber answering you at all . But she sure went out of her way to help you out. She's a great person!
Old 09-16-2008, 08:22 AM

the story is yet to be completed Dolittle dont worry. you play the most important part in this story.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:15 AM
Administrator

Oh ok, pheeeeeeeeeeeeew. I thought I had dreamed it all up lol. I can't wait for the second part .
Old 09-16-2008, 12:45 PM

Exclamation MY experience!! -- its time to decide whether you did the job or not ??

confusions is all you get when you think too much about how to and what to feed baby squirrels.
human beings are considered to be the only creature on earth who are intellingent than any other species on earth, also they are capable of understanding and expressing emotions. i saw him growing weak day by day, i saw him playing i saw him falling. day by day i tried hard to understand what he wanted to say. what he wanted me to do for him. yes he wanted food which he liked always! a herb found here(i dont know the name of the herb) but it is used to increase blood(and it is safe for squirrels too) i tried to give the juice fo that herb. but it was not tasty like all herbs are. i checked temperature of the juice, mild warm, pure, no dilution in it. he was indeed hungry, i held the spoon in front of his mouth. usually he grabs the spoon with his paws and chop chop chop chop milk vanishes in his tummy. after drinking all the milk in the spoon he takes deep breath!! but that day he pushed away the spoon with his paws after tasting that juice. i tried several ways to feed him that juice. but NO he wont take it. wow he is taste concious!! i gave him pure cow's milk again. and chop chop chop chop sounds he makes with his tongue and mouth and finished up the milk.
i understood that day! no matter how much precautions and research you build up. you cannot defeat a baby's emotions. and i saw no harm in giving him his favourite cow's milk. slowly i reduced the water dilution and after few days i gave him pure milk.
Ms. Heather Parsons helped me alot! indeed she is great woman, but she was bit inexperienced when it came to squirrels. even she was attached to changu very much, she showed lot of concern. To give accurate answers to my questions she introduced me to a beautiful, (never seen a gorgeous rehabber like her in my life hehe) angel. yes its you Birgit! following her advices i gave changu's care taking a new turn. things which i didnot do i tried to do. and these things really worked.
i learnt not to be afraid of little things while taking care of squirrels. she made me concious of the diarrhea changu had.
to which i took immediate steps. i fed changu milk with curd.(one teaspoon milk with 2-3 drops of curd) to which changu responded and his diarrhea was under control upto some extent!
she gave me idea of medicene if pneumonia occurs. penicillin or any antibiotics used for humans (but in very low doses) will help us fight from this disease.
--------------------------------------------------------------------------
please note that pneumonia occurs if you feed your baby squirrel in a wrong way. if he inhales the liquid you are feeding him that will reach his lungs and settle there. and eventually give him pneumonial attacks. like shivering, catching cold, nose block up. breathing problems. and at the end very unpleasant suffering death.
to stop this take these steps please.
-- if you realize he has inhaled the fluid, hold him upside down immediately. dont tap him on his back, just hold him for 2-3 minutes or until you realize he has exhaled the fluid. (you can judge that he has inhaled the milk if you see bubbles coming out of his nose)
-- squirrels are very playful. hold them tight while feeding. from my experience i can tell its very hard to hold them because they really behave like the most hungry being in this world when you hold syringe or spoon or watever you are feeding him.
-- never feed a cold baby. check his body temperature. REMEMBER YOU SHOULD FEEL HIM WARMER THAN YOUR HANDS WHEN YOU HOLD HIM. HIS BODY TEMPERATURE MUST BE AROUND 100 CELCIUS. SOME PEOPLE (LIKE ME) CANT JUDGE THEIR TEMPERATURE WITH THEIR HANDS. I GENERALLY KISS HIM ON HIS HEAD OR HIS BACK.(LIPS ARE OUR SENSITIVE SKIN THEY QUICKLY TELL YOU WHICH THINGS ARE COLD OR HOT) MY LIP TOUCH TELLS ME THAT CHANGUS IS COLD. in that case i warm up a cotton cloth with the warm water filled bottle or heating pad and hold him with that cotton cloth. that helps me maintain his body temperature while feeding.
-- do not hold him by his neck. his can choke his neck tube and eventually the fluid can go inside his breathing tube.
-- be extreme patient while feeding. never rush!! feed him drop by drop! though he will jump to eat the whole cake but its your job to be strict with your baby and give him the cake peice by peice.

i was lying on the bed that night after feeding Changu, trying to sleep. but couldnot sleep as a question was revolving my head. Did i really take good care of him? is he enjoying with me?? is my job done?
i went to his hideout pulled over the cloth which i put on his bed to provide him darkness. i held my finger just beside him, was slowly trying to touch him to carress his tummy as tears rolled over my eyes thinking why god gave these little innocent creatures such hard life and gave those terrorists and criminals pleasure to enjoy life?! changu streched his paws touched my fingers as if he was recognizing the touch and pulled himself near my finger and hugged it. he cuddled himself all his four legs holding my finger as if telling me " dont go i love your touch, gives me warm and comfort" i sat beside him 2 hours with my finger still in his cuddles watching him sleep untill he changed his position and released my finger.
m still unanswered...
Old 09-16-2008, 10:08 PM
Administrator

Default Re: MY experience!! -- its time to decide whether you did the job or not ??

Well thank you very much for the nice compliments!!!

You have a great way of writing down what you have learned. I can see it all in front of my eyes like a movie!

There is one thing you might want to correct though. I don't think you want a squirrel with 100 CELSIUS, cuz then it'd be boiling, hehehe. That was quite a cute mistake, because I knew what you meant.

My heart got all warm when I read about the hugging finger story, that was so cute . You are doing such a great job and everything with such a thoroughness, I'm very impressed!
Old 09-17-2008, 11:25 AM

Default Re: MY experience!! -- its time to decide whether you did the job or not ??

i must recieve something if you are impressed hehe... and oops sorry, its not celcius its fahrenheit! please guys dont boil the squirrels... they are cutest thing on earth!
Old 09-18-2008, 11:14 AM

Exclamation MY experience!! - GREAT THINGS INSIDE..

it was my birthday on 6th sept. i found him 9th sept. its just a guess. maybe he was born on 6th or 5th sept.
now heres an incident most of the readers wont believe or say i m bluffing. believe it or not its true.
before 3 days i was playing with changu. i though lets see how much he recognizes me.(as i always think whether he would come back to me after i release him?)
i put him at the center of my bed. and stood at a corner(his eyes are still not opened)
i was facing his back. to my surprise he turned back and crawled towards me. i thought it was just co incidence or his wish maybe... i gave it second try..
he agained turned towards me and started crawling towards me.
i gave it 3rd 4th 5th try.. and the same happened. to my surprise he was not exhausted coming to me. i stood there to see what happens next. and oh my god.. he came to me, he held my jeans tightly and tried to crawl on me. though he fell down on the bed again and again. but he still came up on me.
HE LOVES ME SOOO MUCH!! ( PLEASE NOTE :: do not handle them much. by playing i mean i just leave him on some place for a few minutes ((till he is warm)) and let him roam about a bit so that he gets some exercise and practise for walking and climbing)
READERS!! dont just feed him. i say ~ EXTRA feed him ( by extra i mean vitamin L i.e. love) that would give him extra nutrition!! Guaranteed
here are some of the changu's pics please have a look and comment.. watch out for his elegant strips on his back.