Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 09-16-2008, 07:00 PM

Default Re: Baby feral cat just found!

Hi Lilbit,
Please try not to be too upset about the kitten dying. Oftentimes, feral cats are malnurished and may have other health issues which makes it difficult for them to give birth to healthy offspring. Sometimes, a kitten or two or even an entire litter will have health problems and the mother cat senses this. If a mother cat has an unhealthy kitten she will usually push that one away so she can give her healthier kittens the food and attention they need. Please don't feel like you may have been negligent or didn't do the right thing. Sounds to me like you did everything you could possibly have done to help the kitten survive. If it's any consolation to you, we've been in your situation many times; sometimes the kittens made it and sometimes they didn't.
Please take care and try not to worry.

Nadine
Old 09-16-2008, 07:44 PM

I'm so sorry about the baby! I had a feeling about that but I felt better when you said it was cuddled with the mom.

Well you have the others so far too, keep an eye but don't disturb. Thanks for trying to help the baby, don't beat yourself over its death.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:39 PM

Thank you...
My four year old buried the baby under a giant tree. She was so sad...and so was I. I read the information on this site and explained to my daughter the process of life...and death.
My daughter had a ruff time trying to understand why a mommy wouldn't want her baby....and I had a harder time trying to explain this.

After tears and complicated answers...my lil one touched my shoulder and said..." It was an accident. It's not anybody's fault".

In an odd way...she consoled me more than I did her.

Life goes on...and aren't we all so blessed to be a part of the world and it's loving creatures?

Thank you.
Old 09-16-2008, 08:58 PM

We can only speculate on the ways of nature and as I thought originally the mom might have been trying to kill the baby due to many possible reasons. One of which was that the baby wasn't well there was something seriously wrong. We see it as cruel but we cannot really know, not in all cases.

My children are with me with every animal I deal with, they actively help with near anything I have to do. Whether it be pets, an injured bird or mammal of some sort.

We do nature hiking and admire wildlife from afar, answering questions about their life, diet etc.

When I get my license they will be active in assisting with the wildlife too. They understand about possibilities of death, pain & suffering, etc.
Old 09-16-2008, 10:17 PM
Administrator

The runt of the litter comes to mind...

I'm sorry lilbit. Give your 4 year old a hug from me, she sounds like an amazing girl with an amazing mom .

Let me share with you how I handle the death situation, because I am dealing with that a lot here. This might sound a little bit tough, but it works for me.

The first thing I have to do is to get off my high horse and tell my EGO that it is NOT God. That all I can do is the foot work, the results are not up to me.

Even if it appears that I made the wrong decision, regretting it is first of all totally useless, because it doesn't make it undone, and second of all, how do I know if it was really wrong? In your situation the kitten was probably spared a life full of struggling and illness if you would have saved it.

Maybe this approach works for you too. It sure helped me to stop taking responsibility where I don't have to nor need to which as a result stopped the beating myself up syndrome too.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-16-2008, 11:52 PM

Quote:
my lil one touched my shoulder and said..." It was an accident. It's not anybody's fault".
Out of the mouths of babes.

Be strong.

Nadine
Old 09-17-2008, 10:45 AM

I'm sorry to hear about the kitten, lilbit. It's always sad to see a baby that didn't make it, even though nature always has its reasons. But, at least you can make the momma comfortable, and ensure that her other kittens can grow strong. I know that would make me feel better.

Your daughter sounds so wise. Children never fail to give us the best wisdom.