Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 09-21-2008, 11:27 PM

Question Anyone know how old this liitle girl is?

This is my second baby. The first I dropped off (her brother I think) to a person that is supposed to take care of them. A few days later I asked than when they release him I wanted to bring my kids to see it. I was told they don't release. I was crushed so when I found this one I called all over looking for someone else and everyone I talke to was full or didn't do squirells. I talked with the people who took the first guy and got alot of wrong info on how to care for her. Things like you can't release them once a human takes care of them. But thanks to Mrs doolittle's info and the kindness of a local vet. She is now running around eating like mad and acting like she should. What I was wondering is what her age might be? She did snack on some cherrios earlier today. Though I didn't see her eat them. She is fast! But If I start to walk away she bolts up my leg. I have purchased some un shelled nuts and am planning to collect some that grow around here like acorns. This way she won't be looking for something that dosen't grow here! Now another Q I seen that we have a nest in our yard. The momma I have watched go in and out of the nest for two days now. If my baby is ready to go when hers are can I release her with them? This is not her momma and I don't want her to kill mine if there is a chance of that.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:38 PM

Default Re: Anyone know how old this liitle girl is?

she must be about 4-5 week old dear. and dont release this cute little thing to any other squirrel till she is capable of finding food. the reason for that is squirrels are like dogs, terrritory concious. they can even kill any other squirrel if he/she is seen eating food of their territory. specially when the big squirrel is preggo. so dont release him untill she is 12 weeks.. rest miss dolilttle will help out.
Old 09-22-2008, 12:41 PM

also please take care of her, she doesnt get up on heights. keep her in cage of about 2 feet height max. if she falls down it can fatally injure her in head or spine. causing instant death or slow starving death. keep out reach from cats dogs and children. also give her single hand feeding .. if you are feeding her dont allow others to feed her. teach her that the world outside is bad. not all living beings are friend and food source. or after release she will go to predators thinking they are food source. i hope you get me.
Old 09-22-2008, 02:01 PM

I got ya. I am the only one feeding and touching her which I limit to feeding and cage cleaning and her once a day trip outside. Thanks on her age and telling me aprox how long I will have her. BTW she was only on the tank to take a pic because when I put her on the floor she runs all over.
Old 09-22-2008, 07:01 PM
Administrator

Yep, 4-5 weeks sounds about right. Release age is 3 months . What a cutie!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-24-2008, 06:12 AM

Yea she is but wow so much energy now. When I got her she was so lethargic, slept all the time and wouldn't move. I did pedialight, KMR and had her in an incubator for a few days. Plus a vet visit. I also toook her out into the sun once a day. She has been in a large cage now with a UV lamp for about 2 days and what a difference. I think I'm gonna name her Wild Child lol.
Good news is I found a licensed rescue that does release these guys and they have an opening for her friday! I would love to raise her myself but I do not have a proper outside enclosure and I worry about making shure she can eat outside on her own when I release her. It's the best thing for her right now. I think I will feel better when I have some exp working under someone and start going to the classes. I will be better prepared to help these little guys. It's funny how out of all the different animals I have had wild and non how one little baby got me wanting to start a rescue! lol I drove my hubby nuts yesterday when he got home from work telling him about the different laws and what you have to do record keep ect. He stopped me half way and said you do that just tell me what I have to build. lol
Oh and pardon my spelling it sucks. I never was a good speller.
Old 09-24-2008, 09:10 AM
Administrator

That is very responsible of you to have found a rehab place for her. The majority of people put themselves first and not the animal, going by what the animal can do for them and not vice versa.

Things like handling and petting them constantly, treating them like pets, showing them off to others, finding it cool having a squirrel...all normal human trades that are not necessarily a bad thing, but better directed towards domesticated animals.

The worst ones are the ones that got attached and then refuse, because of that, to set the animal free and come up with all kinds of mythical reasons and excuses.

This is what I'm dealing with a lot in real life here, so it is always refreshing to see when somebody does the right thing. Thank you for that!!!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-24-2008, 09:17 AM

Thanks. In my eyes a wild animal should be set fre if it can. Thats where it was ment to be. I wouldn't want to be kept in a cage when I could run free. The only pet I have not and will not own is a bird. I couldn't bear having one in a cage I feel it's not right, when they can fly. Thats a beautiful gift to have to soar the sky and go where you want when you want, such freedom.
Old 09-25-2008, 02:03 PM

thats such a nice thinking of yours, but squirrels should be kept in a cage till they are released. thats for their own safety. because as you said she runs all over. so please make her a cage, spacious but not of height of more than 2 feet. the reason is if she fells down she can have serious injuries. so dont give much height to the cage. max 2 feet.
keep her in sun (direct sun, not sunlight coming out from window)
that would help her absorb vit D as you know and that would help her absorb calcium, eventually strong bones to climb trees..
m sorry i cant really understand what you wrote the above replies, does it mean you gave her to a rehab?? if she is with you can you post few pics of her.??
Old 09-26-2008, 09:04 PM

matrixdukenukem008 I thiink you missunderstood me when I said when she is on the floor she runs around. I only put her there to take the pic and she took off. I wasen't expecting that.
I did drop her off at a rehab and I was so sad to let her go. But it's for the best. My hubby took a vid of me feeding her the other day so as soon as I figure out how to post that I will.