Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 09-29-2008, 02:05 AM

Default found baby squirrel ????'s

So I found a half frozen baby fox squirrel the other day. My neighbors had put him in an open box outside but no mom. When I got the little guy he was frozen, i warmed him up and gave him a little sugar water(it is what we do with baby people when they are unresponsive??) any way a little while later I noticed that there where these little specs crawling all over me, I ran to the vet and they said he had "species specific mites" and we rubbed a little bit of diluted something on him and I got some puppy milk. Back at home I was able to get all of the dead mites off and then I noticed that he had little white worms in right his ear. i pulled them out with tweezers. so I did some research and he is about 4 1/2 weeks old, I live in Montana, and since he is an introduced species/pest there are no laws forbidding me having him. i want to know was his other ear suppost to be closed up with some waxy guk? is he suppost to have weird skin colored thick danderuff on him? When the stuff/plug came out of his ear, there is now a milkly like discharge coming from it, it has no odor or tinge to it, and his ear is not inflamed so what is it? (it came out naturally) also I have been stimulating his potty activities, but how often? and should he be going every time? also he does not seem to poop very often is this normal? also how do I know if I got all the buggies off/out of him? could he have internal critters also? how would I know? his little eyes just opened today so that is fun. Any advice or info would be great. Thank you so much!
Old 09-29-2008, 09:24 AM
Administrator

Default Re: found baby squirrel ????'s

Wow, thanks for taking care of the squirrel.

What you can do to get rid of the maggots, which I assume is what is keeping the ear wound clean (they only eat dead tissue), is to give him a tiny piece of a Capstar pill. Your vet should have those. I have given them to pink squirrel babies without problems. It might get rid of the mites too, not sure. I never had to deal with mites on squirrels. Only maggots.

As to the potty part, he'll be going by himself wherever he goes, so the only reason you would make him go potty is to get as much out of him as possible so he won't soil the place he sleeps in. But since they go a LOT, I don't bother anymore when they have their eyes open and just exchange the fabric they sleep in after every feeding.

Just read through the forum and also this page here. Lots of good information right there:
http://www.rainbowwildlife.com/baby-squirrel.htm
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 09-29-2008, 12:13 PM

hi, thanks for the reply. I think all of the maggots are gone. They were only in one ear. Now that the other ear has opened, there is a white discharge? there is no yellow tint and his ear is not red, is this normal when they open? or what should i do? also he has developed a little diarehea, what should I do? thanks
Old 09-29-2008, 01:50 PM
Administrator

For the wound care you are best off asking the vet, because it can have a lot of different causes that I just can't all cover with written words.

As to the diarrhea...what exactly do you feed him, how often, and with what?
Old 09-30-2008, 01:26 AM

Hi, sorry this is so late. I am a full time student and work,. the baby is doing well, I take him with me everywhere. I did go to the vet today, she recomended a topical antibiotic cream for his ear, some squash or pumpkin baby food, just a little to see if it would help bind his stool. I have been giving him the puppy milk, and a little pedialite? so far his stool has gone from liquid to mush. In your experience how much pedialite and mashed veggis is to much? He is probably 4 1/2 weeks old and his eyes just opened. He does not seem to go to the bathroom without prompting, is this normal? Thank you so much for all of your time and energy!!
Old 09-30-2008, 09:15 AM
Administrator

Sounds all good, except the fact that it is totally against their nature for a squirrel to be moved around constantly. Isn't there any way you can find somebody where the squirrel can stay in one place and start becoming a squirrel? At that age I have mine outside so they can start climbing around and catch some sunlight, experience nature etc.

I need more details about the feeding, that's why I asked specific questions. It would be great if you could answer all of them, so I can get a better picture:

How much do you feed. What do you use to feed (bottle, syringe). What's the ratio you mix the milk with. And what's the brand of the milk. How often do you feed?

I don't know about pumpkin baby food, bit too early for that in my book, and Pedialyte is only needed when the baby is dehydrated. Otherwise it will cause diarrhea. That might be your culprit along with being stressed from changing places all day.

Stick with the rule of thumb: if you can't find it outside in nature (where the other squirrels eat it too), it's not really suitable for to feed.

Having said that, I start my babies on Honey Nut Cheerios, grape and apple pieces (peeled), cracked open nuts, and keep on feeding the puppy milk.

The baby is not toing explode if you don't make it go potty, believe me, he will go on his own.
Old 10-01-2008, 05:41 PM

sorry to get back to you so late. I was having problems with my internet. The baby can't really move well at this point, he is really wobbily. I am feding him pre made emilac puppy milk that comes in a can that I got from the vet. I am hapy to say that his diarrehea has stopped, but he has not went poo in a day in a half now. His urine s clear though, and frequent. As for leaving him somewhere I can not, I go to school full time and work, so he would be unattended for most of the time. Also I don't think I can let him go anytime soon, we are in Montana and the winter is comming? Also there are not any wild life rehabers for them here because they are an introduced species and considered to be pests. Also I just gave him the squash once with a little pedialite the rest of the time he has had milk. Oh, he doesn't seem to have any top teeth, just the bottom ones??? Any input would be great. Thanks again!!!!
Old 10-01-2008, 09:17 PM
Administrator

They are considered a pest here too. You can shoot them, but you can't own nor rehab one without a permit. One doesn't exclude the other. Since the newspapers are covering my rescue efforts, I'm getting a lot of negative comments. But that doesn't give the life of a squirrel any less meaning than before.

You are right when it comes to the winter issue. You probably have to keep him until spring.

Don't worry about the poo yet. If he hasn't gone after 3 days, add a little yogurt to the formula.
Old 10-01-2008, 10:14 PM

hey, thanks for getting back to me. Thankfully since MT is so podunk there are no laws against owning him. I think that it is great what you are doing!!!!! at what age should I introduce food? what kind? and is it ok that his top teeth are not in yet? thanks so much
Old 10-02-2008, 08:02 AM
Administrator

The top teeth will come in shortly. I start putting Honey Nut Cheerios into the cage with the squirrels once their eyes are open. A week or 2 later, they start nibbling on it. Once that happens I offer small pieces of walnuts and fruits for a few days.

After that I go outside and collect whatever the wild squirrels eat out there. Here it is pecans and acorns. I always have those in the cage with them along with Cheerios, Rodent Block, and fresh fruits and veggies every day, in addition to the formula.

Mine are all around 2 months old and are getting formula 3 times a day plus all the solids.