Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 10-07-2008, 12:56 AM

Default I Think My Squirrel Friend Has Mange!

I moved into a new house a few months ago and a few days into living into this new place - I looked outside my window and was face to face with a cute squirrel. I noticed she was black with white on her pack, almost like a ring around the back of her neck. Nonetheless, I began calling for her and and she would come over and I gave her some nuts, raisins, etc. They weren't salted or anything and my friend told me I should name her. So, I named this little squirrel Peanut. BTW., I know it's a female because she has a baby I have named Cashew!

Anyway, as I formed a friendship with her I began doing research on her missing fur. Of course, mange came up and concerned me. But, then a few weeks ago her fur seemed to be growing back in very nicely. I was relieved.

Except now she is looking kind've rough, again. She has a lot of white and with it getting cold - I am worried for her.

I was wondering if there was any natural stuff I could use to help fight mange. I mean, I know there is some vet subscribed medicine or whatever but unfortunately for Peanut its not really an option.

Does anyone have any ideas?

I am also looking to buy her a squirrel house but there is a big brown billy squirrel with some smaller babies that live really close so I am afraid they would use it instead of her.

On the subject of her baby, before someone wonders if the baby has signs of mange too - as odd as it sounds I think her baby is living with the bull squirrel. Because Peanut and her babies were living in my neighbors overhang due to a hole in this screen thing - which got patched up. I thought the babies were inside and I was looking for ways to break them out. I didn't hear them crying and I saw Peanut later that day; she seemed upset. A few weeks later I saw a smaller black squirrel and a smaller brown squirrel fighting in the back yard which I assume was Peanut's babies. Since she was close by. I called her over and she stood up, then ran over to get her 'cookie'(I use the term lightly; its not a real cookie in the literal sense) but the babies ran up the wall and into the hole that was patched up.

A few minutes later a bigger brown squirrel which is now known as the bully, she came over with a really small baby in her mouth and went into the same hole in the overhang. I read up and its not all that uncommon for babies once after a certain age to live with a different nest of squirrels. Could this be because Peanut has mange?

Anyway, I'm sorry for going on but this squirrel is just amazing. I call her my own, though she obviously lives in the wild. She comes right up to the screen door and looks in while waiting for her treats. I recently started giving her almonds which she's been burying. If I am watching her she looks back and runs further until she thinks I can't see, then she digs, buries them, and comes back for more! And if the bully arrives, I take the almonds back so the bully doesn't get them and Peanut comes back, runs to where the almonds were, then stands up and looks at me like "where are my almonds?" Its so cute!

Again, sorry for going on and on but its hard not to. I have some adorable pictures of her I will upload soon but any and all help would be greatly appreciated!
Old 10-07-2008, 11:09 AM
Administrator

Default Re: I Think My Squirrel Friend Has Mange!

Heyas Tigger, welcome!

Are you totally sure it's mange and not the seasonal shedding? I never had a squirrel with mange, so I'm not an expert, but with dogs I often thought it was mange and it was ringworms instead. Same with the raccoon I had last month. It could also be lice or allergies. Hard to tell.

Lets see some pictures, maybe a visual helps to figure out what it is.

You sure like those lil buggers, don't you? hehehe Means you are at the right place here! Welcome again!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 10-07-2008, 12:42 PM

Thank you.

I found this forum while looking up information on squirrels/mange, its lovely.

Anyway,

here is some pictures of her:

I know they don't show here missing fur the greatest, but I hope it helps a bit. Oh yeah and here is one when her fur seemed to be growing back in nicely(excuse the red eyes ):

It's also ironic I named her Peanut because she doesn't like peanuts! LOL! I originally got her some unsalted mixed nuts and she would eat the peanuts...but only if she had to. I also tried to see if she likes carrots and stuff, but she sniffed it, stood up and looked at me and waited for me to give her something else.

=)

I'm not sure if it is mange or not, I hope its not but at the same time I don't wanna take any chances. So again, glad I found this forum!
Old 10-07-2008, 12:58 PM
Administrator

That looks like a scar to me. Maybe during summer and winter when the fur is full you don't see as much, but when they change their coats with the season, it's more visible.

Of course I can't say for sure, but she sure is a cutie. I never saw a black squirrel except in pictures .

Is she itching and scratching on the area, does it look infected or bothersome to you? I don't think it's mange.

This is mange:

Old 10-07-2008, 02:27 PM

Well, she does scratch a lot but really no different than any of the other squirrels! I know from just searching around it didn't look like mange from all the pics of it I saw. The skin on her ears looks corroded almost, I originally did think it was just a scar. I still hope so!

I am gonna take more pictures of her so I can see if I can monitor if its getting worse or possibly just the different angles I see her at. She doesn't seem to be weaker, she is certainly faster than the bully. And whenever the bully gets her stuff she runs back to the door to get more.

Thanks for your help!
Old 10-07-2008, 05:58 PM
Administrator

She looks old to me. That might be a reason why she's slow.
Old 10-07-2008, 11:34 PM

Wow!!! I've never seen a black squirrel before....How cool!
(Thanks MissD, for keeping this site so wonderful!!!)

Oh, and I think it looks like scars too, maybe cat claws, dog teeth, a "bully" squirrel...? I wouldn't doubt the latter if she fought to keep her young'uns. What does the other side of her look like?

Thanks for taking care of her!
Old 11-05-2008, 01:57 PM

I read your possible mange problem with peanut. My Charlie has the same thing, but a lot worse. I first noticed it about 2 weeks ago. It looked just like yours. Then seemed to be better. Now it is terrible, worse everyday, I'm getting worried about him. Soon it will be very cold. I attached a couple of pics.
Does anyone know what I should do? I don't know how to get the photos in.
Old 11-05-2008, 02:11 PM
Administrator

Hi Kathy, welcome on board. In order to attach photos, you have to have the pictures online somewhere. You then click on the little yellow square icon right above the field where you are typing your answer and then paste the URL of the image into the little window that pops up.

Alternatively you can also email me the pictures and I'll post them for you, if you don't have a place to host them.

One of the 8 squirrels I have had been losing patches of fur, but they are growing back on their own. Since the other squirrels didn't get it, it couldn't have been anything contagious, so I ruled out mange and ringworm.

It might just be that some shed their fur more than others during the season change.
Old 11-05-2008, 07:00 PM
Administrator

Here are the pictures. It DOES look like mange or ringworm...