Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Squirrels

Squirrels Talk about squirrels.

Old 11-07-2008, 08:57 AM
Administrator

Default Re: I Think My Squirrel Friend Has Mange!

I have been emailing with kathy and asked her if what we see in the picture is the main diet for the squirrel, but since the squirrel lives outside, she can't tell what else he's eating.

Here is my reply to her:

The reason why I asked if this is his main diet, is because corn and sunflower seeds are just about the worst one can feed to a squirrel. It's like feeding a child with candy and chocolates only.

Mange only becomes activ when the animal is too young of the immune system is compromised, which could be the result of a wrong diet.

Here is a list with 'good' foods: http://www.rainbowwildlife.com/adult-squirrel-diet.html

Are you able to handle the squirrel? Would you be able to apply topical cremes or give him medication? Could you sneak some meds in his food?

Here is a great link that explains about mange and it's treatment with oral Ivermectin. Ivermectin is the ingredient in heartworm meds for dogs and there is a paste available here at the feed store, but it might be better to ask a vet about it as well as the dosage.
http://www.michigan.gov/dnr/0,1607,7...6949--,00.html

If it's not mange, the treatment with ivermectin won't hurt, since it's basically a dewormer too.

However, if it's ringworm, you have to apply topical cremes such as Mycelex onto the affected areas and that can be tricky, since they clean themselves and would lick the cremes off. I think there is an oral medication as well, ask the vet about it!

It all depends if you can handle the squirrel or not. If you can, ringworm will glow under black light, that would be one way to determine if that is what you are dealing with.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 02-23-2009, 01:47 PM

I have two grey squirrels that come to my feeder that definitely have the mange. I was told by a wildlife person from Fish and Game that it was fatal and there was nothing I could do to help them. Then I was told by a wildlife rehab person to buy ivermectin from a feed store and put this on their food. However, the feed store only sells it in pint size bottles with a syringe that measures for horses and cows. They didn't think it would be appropriate for squirrels. Does anyone have any other ideas.
Old 02-23-2009, 01:59 PM
Administrator

Welcome on board Sylvia, and thanks for caring about the squirrels!

Do you have dogs that are on heartworm meds? The main ingredient for heartworm prevention is ivermectin, so HeartGard and such are based on ivermectin.

But how to get the squirrels to eat them...that's a whole different story.
Old 02-23-2009, 08:43 PM
Administrator

I would say both squirrels have mange. If you look at the black squirrel's ears, you can see they are kinda crusty. That is the first sign I look for with mange (my squirrels got it last winter and one of my black squirrels got it 4 years ago). It actually looks like the squirrel is recovering from the mange though. The grey grey squirrel looks to be getting some fuzz back. That means the mange is gone and the fur is growing back. It may come in a different color at first, then fade in with the rest (my fox squirrel got orange fuzz in on his back, it was so cute).
Old 02-24-2009, 08:26 AM
Administrator

But what do you DO about it? How do you help them if ya can't catch 'em.
Old 02-24-2009, 10:50 PM

Guess you could try mixing the Ivermectin (paste, I'm guessing) with a favorite food. Might try something already paste-y like peanut butter, yoghurt (mine liked strawberry) or whatever they'll eat. I'd put the food out there minus the medicine first to see what they'll eat.
As far as how much, they'll probably self govern 'cause they won't like the taste, but to be safe, I'd look at how much to give a horse, dog, etc. by weight, and dose accordingly). Be very careful if you use the horse Ivermectin. I understand it's concentrated while heart worm pills contain a very small dose of Ivermectin.
Good Luck!
Old 04-22-2009, 08:50 PM

The mange can be treated with ivermectin, which is available at the farm store in injection format for around 35 bucks for 50mL, I have no clue as to the dosing for squirrels, and without a rehab permit, you are likely breaking the law regardless. A friend of mine says she mixes it with food, or injects it into raisins for squirrels. I don't believe much she says.

Ringworm can be treated topically or orally. Orally, I believe ketaconazole is the treatment of choice, but this requires a veterinarian prescription. Not sure on cost. Program flea control for cats and dogs could also be used, active ingredient is lufenuron.

Not all ringworm glows under woods lamp test, estimates are 30-80% (wide range). The only definative way to diagnose ringworm is to culture it and view it under magnification. There are DMT gels that are available for the culture, if the gel medium changes color, it generally means that you've got ringworm.

Just as a disclaimer, this is my first post and I have NO CLUE as to the safety of any of the above products in squirrels.
Old 04-22-2009, 08:56 PM

sorry, that's DTM gels, not dmt. Dermatophyte test medium.

It's not cheap, but I think you can find it from one of the online pet retailers, I just can't figure out which one right now.
Old 04-23-2009, 10:30 AM
Administrator

Injecting it into raisins is a good idea! How else would you be able to administer it to wild squirrels outside?

Thanks again for the great info!
Old 05-07-2009, 01:40 AM

hello,
I have just joined this group and going through all this stuff I am glad I joined!
I do need help. I am from India and here we find 3-striped and 5-striped squirrels commonly. I worked with a local SPCA and have been rearing baby orphan squirrels since October 2007. presently I have 7 squirrels with me and one of them has got some infection I suppose. whenever he grooms himself near the nose, a white milky discharge comes out from its eyes and nose. i have sought help from a vet n giving it medicines as prescribed. but can u shed some light on it? he is has actually been very weak since he came to me (in November 2008 ) and has his tail cut from the half since beginning. I got him I think when he was some 3 weeks old. my other squirrels dont take him as friends and fight with him and the poor thing cant oppose or fight as he is weeker as compared to them. i dont think i can release him back in wild as dont think he will be able to compete in wild. any help?