Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 10-08-2008, 09:40 PM

Default Please Help sick squirrels

I spoke with you on the phone, when I noticed the baby girl vomiting. My husband spoke with you about 7:30pm. Now the other squirrel is also vomiting, diarreha, and they both feel feverish. The vomit from both squirrels looks like curdled milk. Has the consistancy and smell of curdled milk, (though to me it smells like vomit) They have been on KMR kitten replacement milk since we found them the day after Hurricane Ike. They are approximately 8 wks old now. Please help! we live in The Woodlands, Texas. We are willing to drive them to Dallas or wherever you are located. There are no available rehabbers in the Montgomery County area due to the hurricane. They are hard to locate in Harris County (Houston area) also, due to number of squirrels found in these areas.
Diet last 48 hours: pecans, acorns, sunflower seeds non-salted, not shelled, pumpkin seeds, pine nuts, raisons, peanuts in shell not salted, broccoli florets, snow peas, cucumber, green beans, apple, zuccini squash, avacodo, grapes. Everything is peeled and washed. They are not drinking from dishes they are syringe feed they average 9 to 20 syringes per squirrel per feeding. They are feed formula four times a day. It has Gerber banana mixed in the formula each feeding.
Old 10-09-2008, 09:48 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Please Help sick squirrels

I don't see anything wrong with the diet, but I would add Honey Nut Cheerios, add more acorns and pecans (in the shell, couple cracked open, rest not opened) to it and cut down on the seeds and peanuts. Also fresh tree branches to chew.

If you look outside you can tell which tree is preferred by the wild squirrels..that's usually the tree I cut some branches off of.

I have at least one squirrel throw up a little bit after feeding, because they either drank to hastily or too much. With 8 fighting over the 2 syringes I have in my hands, it's hard to tell which one got something out of it and which didn't, so I just re-fill it until they stop coming.

But none of them acted as if they were ill or nauseated or not feeling well after they threw up a drop or 2.

At that age, I would cut down to 3 meals a day. 8 am, 2pm and 8 pm again.
Of course they have all sorts of stuff to chew on at all times.

Maybe leave the Gerber out of the next feeding, see if it makes a difference. But as long as they are having an appetite, I don't think you have anything to worry about. An upset stomach happens, but of course it's impossible to determine that with certainty without seeing the animals.

Keep us updated!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-12-2009, 12:50 PM

good luck with the squirrels!
Old 06-12-2009, 01:11 PM
Administrator

If I remember that correctly, the situation was resolved successfully via email and phone .
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 06-15-2009, 11:03 PM

Way to many nuts in that diet. An 8 week squirrel shouldn't be getting many nuts at all...too hard to digest and worthless for minerals. Not enough calcium, too much phosphorous. Vegetables should be mostly greens. Fruit is fine.

For eight week old squirrels we feed formula with broccoli, beans, peas, etc...then for a treat, strawberries, apples and a good rodent block or high quality dry puppy food.