Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Introductions and News > EMERGENCIES ONLY!

EMERGENCIES ONLY! Please state your emergency with every details possible and somebody will assist you as soon as possible.

Old 11-05-2008, 09:33 PM

Default Please Help Squirrels!!!

I had 3 baby squirrels I've orphaned, they are about 10-12 wks old now. They were all doing great, then I had one that when I came home was nearly lifeless and paralyzed in the back legs, she died just a couple hours later. That night, one of the other squirrels started having trouble walking, I put her on a high calcium/D diet in case it was MBD (neighbor kids kept feeding nuts and corn while I was gone). About midnight the next night, I heard her scream out and when I ran to see, she too was now paralyzed. Despite all the calcium and vitamins, she does not appear to be getting better- it's been about 5 days. She seems to be in a lot of pain and cries out and tries to attack me when I get near the cage. I want to help her but I don't want her to suffer, and I am unable to handle her other than putting a syringe to her face for her to drink from. I need some suggestions...
Old 11-06-2008, 08:47 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Please Help Squirrels!!!

Heyas Candra, let me repeat here what I wrote in my email to you, so it doesn't look like you are not being taken care of. Let me also mention that you tried already unsuccessfully to find a rehabber and vet. Hopefully somebody else has suggestions here, because I don't know:

I strongly suggest to get the animals to a rehabber or vet as soon as possible! From the symptoms it sure sounds like MBD in the last stages...there is a line when MBD can't be turned around anymore, no matter how much calcium you feed. Too much can be toxic too.

There is not much I can tell you other than let a professional handle the situation and manage the pain or determine if it's better to end the suffering.

I'm sorry you have to go through this!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 11-10-2008, 11:47 PM

Default Re: Please Help Squirrels!!!

Oh Sweetie,
I'm so sorry to hear about your babies. Listen to Miss Dolittle; she'll give you the best advice..
Praying for you (and the other two).