Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Opossums

Opossums All about Opossums.

Old 11-30-2008, 01:33 PM

Default Possum House

I have a question about providing a opossum house. I live in Houston Texas in a neighborhood where many of the older trees fell during Hurricane Ike. Since that time, an opossum has been living in a small space between our backyard fence and the fence of our neighbors.

It doesn't bother us. We rarely see it and only at night when spotted by a pet. It digs in our backyard for grubs at night. We are happy to have this environmentally friendly form of pest control and have taken steps to ensure no pesticides are sprayed on our lawn or in our yard which might harm the opossum.

There are however, several roaming cats in the neighborhood that seem to be expressing an interest in the area between the fences where we suspect the opossum lives. I understand that in Austrailia it is common to put "possum boxes" high in trees to give opossums a safe place to live.

Given that many of the hollow trees in this area recently disappeared during Hurricane Ike, would it be appropriate to install a possum box about 16 feet up in our backyard tree? Does anyone know what the appropriate dimensions of the box would be? How big should the entry hole be?

If this is a bad idea, please let me know. We don't feed the opossum or interfere with it. But we'd like to give it a home if we can.

Kindest regards,
Racoon

Last edited by Racoon : 11-30-2008 at 01:35 PM. Reason: misspelled words
Old 12-01-2008, 03:45 PM
Administrator

Default Re: Possum House

Heyas Racoon, welcome on board! I don't think there is anything wrong with providing a box. After all, it's up to the opossums to move into it or not, but I'm sure, if it's not opossums, something else will use it, such as squirrels or birds.

I don't know about the measurements though. Hopefully somebody else can help you with that .
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog