Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Cats and Kittens

Cats and Kittens Talk about cats and kittens.

Old 01-07-2009, 03:25 PM

Default Personality change in a cat?

Sorry for the long post, but I have no clue if any of it could be relevant.

While I was at college, I adopted a stray 4 month old. She was the sweetest most loving cat you can imagine.. would suckle on my arm for hours on end and demand to be held all the time. She spent all her time indoors and was spayed at 6 months. When she was 18 months, I moved back home and brought her with me. She never liked the other cats, but she tolerated them. She started going outside too, although she'd just play and come straight back in. Suddenly, she disappeared for 3 days and I was shocked to find someone in the neighbourhood had taken my obviously loved and cared for cat (with a collar) to a vet to be spayed. She'd been opened up and had her ear tipped. After that I was extra careful not to let her out for long periods of time, she'd had unnecessary surgery and was just released on the streets after.. It's been a year since then and her personality has totally changed. She started disappearing for months at a time, she'd come back obviously cared for but starving.. like maybe someone had adopted her and was kicking her out when they went away on vacation or something.. The thing is, when she comes home, she's so vicious it's unbelievable. She bites, hisses and scratches at anything and everything. It's almost like she's in pain. She also "shakes" her tail a lot.. like twitching.. She did fall in to a cactus and was impaled by a spine rather badly at the base of her tail.. I removed it myself and am now thinking maybe it's left permanent damage/pain? Anyone got any ideas? I've managed to bring her in to the house and am keeping her confined in a nice quiet room for the time being but I'd really like to see her happy again
Old 01-08-2009, 11:03 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Personality change in a cat?

Hi Allytt, welcome on board.

Cat behavior is something I'm having a hard time figuring out myself. Having the cat fixed, even though it was behind your back...sorry, but I consider that a good thing. I'm sure that this is not what has caused the behavior change. All it took away from the cat was the hormone drive that drives most cats crazy if they don't get to breed.

In any case, if you think the cat is in pain and that this is the cause for acting like this, take the cat to the vet ASAP!

Your last sentence is not only a question, but also contains the answer already. Do you really believe that a confined cat in a nice quiet place has the chance to be happy or get rather bored to death?

I don't know your set up or what all you do to keep the cat entertained, but from my personal experience I know that most cats that have had access to the outdoors are hard to keep inside.

That's a tough one though...you can't let the cat out or she'll get stolen or runs away, but you also can't keep her inside, because it'll drive the cat mentally insane.

Maybe some other members here will have better ideas. First thing I would do though, is to rule out that the cat is in pain by having a vet look her over.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 01-08-2009, 11:19 AM

Hi MissDoLittle..

The thing about the spaying, I have nothing against spaying at all, all my cats are fixed. What I have a problem with is someone taking my cat to be spayed when it was done when she was 6 months old. They cut her open, found she was already done, and sewed her back up and every vet in the country (small place, Northern Cyprus) denied it! I guess she operated on herself.

She's settled down nicely overnight and this morning, she's actually angrier and cries/spits more when she's outside. She spent her first 2 years indoors with constant human companionship but no other cats. She doesn't like cats but likes being outdoors. It's a terrible choice for her. She either stays in and keeps away from the other cats or goes out and gets tormented by the 12+ cats outside. I just fed/watered her and had a cuddle, she didn't hiss or spit at me once. I'm starting to think she was just terrified outside and is now really glad to be "home". She hasn't tried to get out at all and the only time she's cried today is for food. Despite being really fat, she's obviously not been fed in a few days as she is eating for 3!

Any suggestions with settling her in?
Old 01-08-2009, 11:39 AM
Administrator

Ooooh, I had misread the part about the spaying, my apologies. That of course it outrageous!

Well, I had one cat, that used to be an outside cat until something happened to her. She went missing for a few days and then came crawling back, her tail half ripped off and dying tissue, dehydrated, emaciated...wow. And all my cats have feline leukemia, which weakens the immune system, so healing is always compromised.

We had to have her tail amputated and from that day on, she never even glanced at the door. She was on my husband's lab 24/7 while he was working from home. She wouldn't want to have anything to do with me or other cats, only my husband.

Maybe the cat simply doesn't like you (no offense, don't take it personal lol), they have a way of making up their minds about each person they meet and maybe you are just not it.

I had another cat for 2 years, from 5 weeks old, cat was fine while growing up, but once she hit adulthood, she turned aggressive. She was never interested in the outdoors, had other cats and a dog inside to play with..all was honky dory, until one day she decided that's it.

She crawled under the dresser and hissed and spit and bit and scratched at everything and everybody that came close. After six months under that dresser (I had to bring her food and water and litterbox), I had it..decided it's no life for a cat. I took her to a no-kill shelter where I kept visiting her.

She changed back to the normal loving cat she used to be once she was at that shelter in a big cat house with other cats. I still don't get it. Nothing happend, she wasn't ill, whatever goes on in that little head of theirs, I have no idea LOL.

But keeping a cat mentally stimulated can't be a wrong thought. If she's on the fat side, it's especially important to keep her jumping and climbing and running too.
Old 01-08-2009, 11:44 AM

Hi allytt
It sound to me like she is living with a feral cat colony when she leaves and that is probably why she was picked up to be spayed. They usually tip the ears of the feral cats they trap and spay so that they know who has been done and who hasn't. Also probably she was taken to a low cost spay/neuter clinic where the ferals are usually done.
That may also explain her behavior too when she returns. You approach her as your baby kitty and she hasn't had much human intereaction and so reacts accorddingly. But since she is very much domesticated she quickly remembers and with time will adjust to being the sweet kitty cat.
I think a nice quiet room is probably ideal for her right now but I would try to make sure there were things in there to keep her happy if you haven't already .
Also her eating so much could simply be a stress or boredom related issue. Sometimes they will just eat to do something or as a way of dealing with a stress. .One thing we have found works great to calm kitties down is catnip the fresher the better. They love it and it acts as a calming agent!
We have a cat that wanted outside and we finally built her a large enclosure outside so she was safe and couldn't run away but she was happy to be outside. She has places to sharpen her claws and all kinds of fun stuff!
Sometimes spaying can change a cats behavior for the worse though, (although I still say it is a good thing to do) because we have seen it happen once and the cat was really not the same and definantly didn't change for the better. It was many years ago and we have always questioned how and where the operation was done. That said, none of our cats were adversely affected by their spay/nueters.
Hope at least a little of this helps
Old 01-08-2009, 11:53 AM
Administrator

Now THAT is some useful and good feedback! I second everything you said!
Old 01-15-2009, 08:22 AM

We experience the same problem with our male adult cats. Teru for instance would be missing for days. Then came home for foods. He was doing this for many times. Until one day he never came back. The only worry is - he could be hit by vehicle & died.

Before this, we have the same problem with my late father's male cat. As he grew older & getting bigger, he didn't want to stay at home. One day my father found out he was hanging around at our auntie's house just a few doors from our house. My father took him back & the following day, the cat was missing again. So my father said it was okay since cats by nature love to wander around. You can't keep them in the cage or in the house esp. male adult cats.

But it's totally different for Akeer. He loves roaming around but comes home on time. Of course once he didn't come home for 3 days. I think he was mating. Okay then. At least he remembers to go home. Just these few mths, he doesn't want to sleep at the backyard & would go somewhere to spend his nites. It's the stray cats at our backyard. I shd have done something abt it. Well, I don't mind abt the stray cats. I can still put Akeer to sleep at the porch or put him in a cage. But then, he's a male cat & we've to understand his needs. Now he's gone after the flood.
Old 01-15-2009, 09:24 AM
Administrator

As I mentioned in the other thread, adult cats and cages don't go together, especially not if they aren't fixed and have driving hormones. If you get him neutered, he'll most likely will stop running away and you don't need a cage. Cats are just not made for cages, period.
Old 01-16-2009, 04:42 PM

That's very true. We never kept our cats in the cage except young kittens. So last nite, we let Vader & the Mother Cat to sleep outside the house since everything is back to normal. Akeer is only 1 yr 7 mths. So I guess the driving hormones is very strong! I'm gonna search for him again this weekend.