Memberlist
Calendar
Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Pets > Cats and Kittens

Cats and Kittens Talk about cats and kittens.

Old 04-17-2009, 04:00 AM

Default Tiny orphaned kitten please help

I work at en elementary/ middle school where we recently found a mother cat and her young kittens. She had them perched precariously on the edge of the awning, where they were coming dangerously close to the edge. We tried to put a box up but it scared the mother off. I called the Humane Society and they advised that perhaps we should bring them in before they close so they could get help in case the mother didn't come back. So we took the two kittens in and then were told if we left them they would be put to sleep.

Se we took them and bought kitten formula and a bottle. We were unsuccessful at getting them to eat, so we decided perhaps we should just take them back and hope the mother comes back and takes them away.

The next day the mother had taken one back, and left the other. School was starting and children can unintentionally be too rough, and or accidentally hurt tiny animals such as this, so we couldn't leave it. My husband took it home. It has now been 2 1/2 days in our care. I wish we had left them in the first place, and now after much research I regret our hasty decision. I didn't realize that the mother would probably have come back, but seeing as how I am worried about children hurting or killing the kitten, I cannot just leave him at the school. I am now trying my best to care for him.

He is eating well and eliminating pretty well. He has not deficated since we brought him home, but after taking to the vet we were told he has no blockage and might just be adjusting to the formula and to give it a few more days.

My problem is this, he is eating TONS! The formula (KMR) says feed 60ml for the 8 oz. that he weighs. He just went through those 60ml in only 4 feedings, rather than 12. I do not know what to do, he is crying for food and calms down after we feed him, but I do not want to over feed him? Any suggestions?
Old 04-17-2009, 10:18 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Tiny orphaned kitten please help

Welcome on board! And thank you so much for taking care of the kitten. I believe you did the right thing.

I could not make out from your post how old the kitten might be. Are the eyes open or closed? Is the kitten walking or just crawling?

To be honest, I never looked on the KMR can to see how much a kitten is supposed to drink. I let them drink as much as they want to, but I do watch that the belly doesn't get too tight and stays as soft as a marshmallow. The risk of overfeeding is real, but I never had it happen with a kitten, only with puppies.

It's amazing how different kittens of the same age and weight are. Some drink very little, others drink 3 times as much as the siblings and all do great and grow just the same. The ones that eat more, poop more too eventually .

The majority of the kittens I get in do not defecate until the 4th day, so don't worry about it just yet. You might want to add a little bit more water to the KMR as it is recommended until he has pooped. Do you stimulate the kitten to go?

Some kittens are VERY vocal, especially the first few days away from mom. I use a rice buddy to calm them. I explained about it here: http://www.petsandwildlifeforum.com/...ght=rice+buddy

Good luck with the baby and please, keep us updated and ask any question that comes to mind!!
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 04-17-2009, 01:35 PM

Well this morning was good! He had a very small amount (less than a chocolate chip) of poop!! Yay! Kind of creamy, and vet said it should look like pudding. So I am excited that he had a BM. We are stimulating him right before we feed him, because after he eats he usually falls fast asleep. On a couple of occasions though if we pull away at the recommended amount of feeding (about 5ml a serving) he will meow and try sucking on our fingers and such. Sometimes, if we let him, he'll eat 3-4 servings worth.

His eyes are open and his hears are up, but kind of floppy. He is walking around a little, just wobbly. He is very vocal, but also very sweet and loves to lay in our hands or snuggle up on our chest (my husband or myself).

So are his bm's supposed to look kind of like pudding right now? Because it was not solid. Is this diarrhea? Thanks for your help!
Old 04-17-2009, 02:18 PM
Administrator

Aah, so he's about 2 weeks old I'm guessing. A few more days or a week, and he'll be using the litter box already if you put one in a cage with him. Well not a real litter box, just a shallow small dish with some kittylitter in it.

The BM should have the consistency of mustard as well as the yellowish color. The first couple of times it's probably going to look dark, because of the mother's milk still left in him. If it's starts looking like pudding and is wobbly, that's too soft. Watch for mucus and/or blood in the stool.

I don't know if you have ever seen a momma cat clean their kittens. They lick them while they are nursing. They push the kitten's behind to the side and the kitten readily presents his behind to be cleaned.

So I'm trying to imitate just that behavior, so while a kitten is nursing from the bottle, I take a moist baby wipe and push gently against the side of the kitten's hind quarters and voila, kitten usually rolls over slightly and starts peeing already before I even touched them.

If that doesn't work, I do stimulate after feeding, because the new meal is going to push the older meal towards the exits.

Here's a movie where I bottle-feed some kittens..I didn't do the eliminating, never filmed that one lol:

is yours about the same age? Feel free to post pictures!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:10 PM

So another update, he had a BM that looks like...well a little half-inch long...poop. lol. Not liquidy, looks like the kind of poo I would expect from my other kitties only tiny and a little yellowish. So that's good right? This time I fed him until his tummy felt a little firm (he kept whining for more) so I pulled it away and finally fell asleep. I have been stimulating right before I feed because he falls asleep pretty quickly once he is full. Should I be stimulating him during then? Or right after? He seems to be going to the bathroom pretty good now that he has has a couple BM's. I hope he's a happy camper. I'll post some pictures next time he wakes up, I don't want to wake him!
Old 04-17-2009, 03:28 PM
Administrator

That's good news! Sounds all perfectly normal to me!

He is not going to break if you try a few different ways to clean and stimulate him, I promise . See what works best.

I also suggest to take a warm moist washcloth and wipe his entire body with it. Not soaking wet, just moist. When kittens are with their mothers, they are almost always moist, because she constantly licks them..and that's as close as it gets to imitate. Just make sure he doesn't get chilled..which a rice buddy should prevent.

I would not recommend pulling the bottle away while he is still nursing. Babies release endorphins while nursing and being cleaned by their mothers which is important.

If you are afraid of overfeeding him...I can't tell you not to be afraid of it, but from my own experience with nearly a 1000 kittens, it has yet to happen. Let him suckle until he's full. His belly can extent quite a bit, he should look as if he was very pregnant lol.

How often do you feed him? I feed kittens with eyes open every 5 hours.

If he is 2 weeks old, he can easily drink half a bottle of formula, which is about 40 ml every 5 hours. If he is 3 weeks old, he can manage 60 ml. 4 weeks olds can down an entire bottle without stopping.
Old 04-18-2009, 01:47 PM

Ok so now we have a new problem. He has had a couple of BM's now. His tummy is nice and round. The last couple times I have given him the bottle he gets frantic. He claws at it and climbs over it. I try to help by putting the nipple in his mouth, he kind of gnaws on it for a second, then claws at it and walks away. Does this mean he is not hungry? He is not meowing or anything, and I have stimulated him to go, bathed him, and he still acts that way with the bottle. It has only been about 4 hours since he was last fed and his tummy is still really round. Thanks for your help.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:03 PM

Here is a video of what's happening. (I hope it works, it said still processing on youtube.)
Old 04-18-2009, 02:04 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_J9I2FtKOjM
Maybe this would work better.
Old 04-18-2009, 02:29 PM
Administrator

Ok, I see the problem. Oh he certainly is hungry, but he needs a little bit more help with it.

The feisty behavior is what he would do with his siblings..beat them with the paws, claw into the area of the belly with the nipple he claimed as his...that's totally normal. They re-enact that behavior if they have competition or not.

Your kitten is 3 weeks plus, going on 4 weeks and he should be close to using the litter box, make sure you have one available at all times.

Let me try to explain how to feed him. Sit him on your lap, hold his head in the left hand and place the kittens chin on the palm of your right hand. Hold the bottle between index and thumb with the nipple pointing towards the palm of your hand and the kitten.

Now here's the trick: use your little and ring finger to keep the kitten from swallowing and chewing the entire top of the bottle..instead pull the bottle away a little while squeezing out a drop at the same time, which automatically has a suckle reflex as a response, because it's the only way the kitten can prevent losing the nipple.

Here are a couple of pictures to give you a visual on it: