Search
Today's Posts  
Pets and Wildlife Forum
Register
Go Back   Pets and Wildlife Forum > Wildlife > Opossums

Opossums All about Opossums.

Old 04-18-2009, 03:06 AM

Question Baby Possums found

Thursday night my boyfriend had some friends and cousins over at his house that he hasnt seen in a while. They were all on the porch talking and I was sitting on the steps. I spotted this rat walking kinda slow across the yard and I said "What is that....a rat?" I got up and walked over to it and it was a baby possum! Being an animal lover I told them to get a bucket. It was so little I didnt think it could make it on its own. We scooped it up in the bucket and it started hissing at us. It was so darn ugly it was cute!! I quickly fixed up a tote with some shavings in it and put a bowl of cat food and water in there with it. I have no idea how old it is....Im guessing maybe 2-3 weeks old. Its eyes were open and it moves around not too fast but not real slow either. Everyone went back to talking and then about 5 min later there was another one!! We ended up finding 4 total. They were scared and hissed at me but they ate almost all the cat food! (I put a daisy sour cream bowl about half full in there)
Anyway one of my bf cousins said he wanted to take them home with him to New Mexico and keep them. Ok I gave in (why do I need 4 baby possums?) So tonight I let my dog outside and she started barking and growling at something under the steps. I got a flashlight and there was another one!! I put the dog back in the house and tried to get it out too. I gave up after about 10 mins and decided I would check on it later. Well when I checked on it, it had moved! I spotted it in a different spot. I got a stick and gently nudged it and it moved almost to where I could scoop it up. I looked back down and oh my word it was right there on the step!! I scooped it up and looked back under there and there was another one and another one. I got two of them but couldnt get to the other two. So now we have gotten 6 and I know there are two more.
I think I have messed up now. I should have left them alone because I think Momma Possum is under the house!! So what am I suppose to do now? Turn them back out and pray that my dog doesnt find them and get them or find someone to take them in until they can make it on their own? I have the two in a box in the bathroom with some cat food and water. I live in Stephenville, Texas and I live real close to the road. (I see momma and daddy possums run over all the time) So does anyone know of any place close by that will take these babies? Or should I just turn them back out and let nature take its course? Help me someone!!
Old 04-18-2009, 08:01 AM
Administrator

Default Re: Baby Possums found

Welcome on board! And no, you did not mess up at all, because baby opossums do not wander outside of the mother's pouch if she'd be alive.

So these babies need some good nutrition and a habitat where they can grow up in. First thing you should do is to try to find a licensed rehabilitator that knows what these little buggers need and won't get into legal trouble for having them either. Start here: http://www.rainbowwildlife.com/find-rehabilitator.htm

Until then, the babies need Esbilac, which is a puppy milk replacer. The replacer for kittens will work too, if Esbilac is not available.

The good part is that they seem to eat on their own, so you don't have to feed them by hand.

Catfood and Daisy's was a great start! Fruits, Veggies, yogurt, sour cream, a boiled egg, baby jar foods and cereal works all well, but the main food source should be Esbilac and dry catfood.

Say, are they gray furred and fuzzy or brown and not quite so fuzzy?
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog
Old 04-18-2009, 12:10 PM

They are grey and fuzzy. They have a white splash on their face. Good news is that the cat food I set out for the others was gone this morning. Hopefully the babies ate it instead of neighbor cats!! One of the little babies that is still out there was trying to crawl onto my dog (pomeranian) this morning. My dog just looked at it like what is going on. It was kinda cute.
Old 04-18-2009, 05:10 PM
Administrator

It might look cute, but dog and possies are prey and predator and interaction should not be encouraged. Poor baby is looking for a warm furry place to sleep. Hopefully you can find some help quick for these little buggers.
Rainbow Wildlife Rescue - Kittenbaby - Puppyeducation - Wildife Blog